Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Letting it go flat is one way to drink it. My Dr said sodas are not forbidden. See all drs are different. I waited till I was several months before I took my first sip. I too am a diet Dr pepper addict,but I definitely drink a whole lot less than pre op. I drinkd mostly Water, and occasionally have a soda

My Dr. has said no carbonation, ever. I'm OK with that, but I was never a big soda drinker anyway. Good luck!

I knew before surgery that I had to give up soda, beer and any other carbonated beverages, so I made peace with that prior to surgery. That was a huge step for me because I LOVE craft beers.

For the first time since my surgery on September 26, I took a sip of Coke this weekend. Then a second sip. I did not want anymore. It tasted artificial and excessively sweet. I don't miss sodas at all.

wow - what a controversy over sodas.... I'm so glad that my dr didn't restrict me from anything as long as it's tolerated. I'm not a big soda drinker anyway - so it's a non-issue - I do buy the little small cans of soda and have one about once a week - but i never even finish it. Just don't really care for it.

But the idea that it will stretch your sleeve is ridiculous - I've asked my dr about it and 3 other physicians who all say the same thing- it's impossible to stretch your sleeve out to be big enough to gain the weight back....over time they say that the stomach will stretch slightly and that i could hold almost a whole chicken breast, but by that time you'll be so used to eating 1/2-1/4 of everything it won't matter.

Guess long story short - everything in moderation - if you know that you can't have just one soda here and there then don't go down that road.

For me sodas are definitely the beginning of a slippery slope. I've done it before. I used to love diet dr peppers from sonic. I used to get one (or two) everyday. And twice in my life I've lost a large amount of weight' date=' only to slip. At some point I allowed myself to start going back to sonic to get those damn diet dr peppers. Well, one thing always led to another. A trip every day to get a soda eventually led to occasionally picking up a small order of tater tots after a big workout. That led to getting a large order....which led to getting a cheeseburger along with it....which led to eating fast food at least 2 meals a day. You can see where this is going. This pattern was my failure. One soda didn't undo my weight loss. But the gradual change in pattern, which I didn't even notice happening, did lead me to regain all the weight I'd lost. So for me, sodas are out.

This kind of behavior is why I cannot operate under the "everything in moderation" mode that others can. It doesn't work for me. But the good thing is I don't miss them anymore.[/quote']

Lol sounds like me, moderation just doesn't seem to be im my vocabulary ...so although Im early pre op I have said no to soda and never plan on a sip again

wow - what a controversy over sodas.... I'm so glad that my dr didn't restrict me from anything as long as it's tolerated. I'm not a big soda drinker anyway - so it's a non-issue - I do buy the little small cans of soda and have one about once a week - but i never even finish it. Just don't really care for it.

But the idea that it will stretch your sleeve is ridiculous - I've asked my dr about it and 3 other physicians who all say the same thing- it's impossible to stretch your sleeve out to be big enough to gain the weight back....over time they say that the stomach will stretch slightly and that i could hold almost a whole chicken breast' date=' but by that time you'll be so used to eating 1/2-1/4 of everything it won't matter.

Guess long story short - everything in moderation - if you know that you can't have just one soda here and there then don't go down that road.[/quote']

I agree. I can have just one of those little cans here and there and not finish it. I generally use them if I've eaten and am uncomfortable. They help to get rid if that stuck feeling. But I am ok with one a week and a couple of sips of my hubby's here and there.

If you know you cannot stop at one I wouldn't even start. There are so many more important things for you to be eating and drinking.

Just curious and not judging but if your addicted to something before surgery and that something helped to get you to that point of needing surgery, why risk having that something again after?

Just curious and not judging but if your addicted to something before surgery and that something helped to get you to that point of needing surgery, why risk having that something again after?

Well...I was horribly, hopelessly addicted to sugar prior to surgery. I would rather have candy and cake than real food for meals any day, at any opportunity. I ate almost no meat or vegetables, little fruit and a lot of junk.

Now I have an extremely low tolerance for sugar. I've tasted several things in the last few months, but I really don't have the same desire for it anymore. I was given a whole coconut cake for my birthday this past weekend and I have only eaten one half of one slice with most of the icing removed. I don't really want anymore. I don't want a candy bar. I don't want ice cream. I don't want brownies or jelly Beans.

If I eat more than a tablespoon of it I feel very ill.

I think that I can safely and with confidence say that I do believe that addiction is gone.

Well...I was horribly' date=' hopelessly addicted to sugar prior to surgery. I would rather have candy and cake than real food for meals any day, at any opportunity. I ate almost no meat or vegetables, little fruit and a lot of junk.

Now I have an extremely low tolerance for sugar. I've tasted several things in the last few months, but I really don't have the same desire for it anymore. I was given a whole coconut cake for my birthday this past weekend and I have only eaten one half of one slice with most of the icing removed. I don't really want anymore. I don't want a candy bar. I don't want ice cream. I don't want brownies or jelly Beans.< /p>

If I eat more than a tablespoon of it I feel very ill.

I think that I can safely and with confidence say that I do believe that addiction is gone.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing this, I guess being pre sleeve its a bit hard to comprehend my taste changing and the foods that I have loved and found comfort in will no longer appeal to me ...im so looking forward to this.

There are no benefits to consuming carbonation or all the crap in soft drinks. When i was in my thirties I stopped my daily six pack of diet Pepsi habit because I did enough research to see the effects it has not only on my eating, but on my skin. It robs so much from the body it just isn't worth it.

PLUS.. Like someone else said, if there's even a teeny slight chance it may result in deterring your new healthy lifestyle, WHY?

I have sips of soda every once in a while, probably 3 times and I'm at 2 months out. If I get the urge to try it, one sip will do. I've always hated carbonation, but regardless, it doesn't sit well enough in my sleeve that I would consider drinking a whole soda. 3 sips is usually all I need

Thank you for sharing this, I guess being pre sleeve its a bit hard to comprehend my taste changing and the foods that I have loved and found comfort in will no longer appeal to me ...im so looking forward to this.

You may even develop a taste for things that surprise you.

I have a new appreciation for cheese, fish and pickled things and very little desire to eat bread or Pasta (which were also big favorites before).

Unfortunately I still love crackers and I "can" eat too many of them if I am not careful.

I thought I would have a harder time with not being able to drink beer anymore, either ...but really not a big deal. I have a glass of red wine now and then.

I have not had any soda since the surgery I am almost 6 weeks out. However I have been taking EmergenC and it is a little a fizzy. I find that sometimes It causes a little bit of discomfort but passes quickly. I figure soda is so much more so that I am probably safe to stay away from it.