Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

are there any sleevers here who have had leaks from cheating on their post op diets?

It's hard for me to throw up since being sleeved. I have felt the naseau and wished I could get it out but I couldn't...I don't know why this is...

It keeps me in line though...I found out the hard way the misery of eating too fast.

I just got sleeved on the 5th of dec. and on my most recent follow up appt I told my doc that I was afraid of busting my staples open sine I'm on solids now. He said that it was nearly impossible for the staples to come apart based in what you ate. He also said "don't get me wrong. To explain it better its like getting struck by lighting. You never know when, where or who it will happen too. I know at least one great surgeon who has had at least one leak but its extremely uncommon". Then he went on to remind me that this is a tool for weight loss and like any other tool if you don't use it well and learn how to properly eat then its not going to be effective at all and the "leaking issue" won't even matter because you will still fail if you don't relearn the one thing that drove you to be overweight........... Your inability to eat properly.

I don't choose to throw up, it just happens and believe me it's not pleasant and not at all a protective mechanism. I believe it's fairly common in the first couple of months.

Totally disagree , it should not be common at all. I have not thrown up once or overate. I believe that the majority can and do listen to their bodies and when they are satiated they stop eating.

Totally disagree ' date=' it should not be common at all. I have not thrown up once or overate. I believe that the majority can and do listen to their bodies and when they are satiated they stop eating.[/quote']

Sometimes it happens after just one bite and then I can't eat anymore. If I do I just keep bringing it back up. That's hardly overeating.

Uh, I think it would be good idea to remember that everybody's post-op sleeve experience is different. Just because you did not have a particular issue does not mean that another person won't. And it certainly does not mean someone has disregarded their proper post op guidelines.

I have been able to tolerate almost drinking normally ( not sipping but not gulping/guzzling ) from day 2 however, many people can barely sip without discomfort. There are as many post op variations as there are post-op patients.

Please stop being so judgmental and arrogant.

And if anyone needs to see in black and white how physicians guidelines differ, take a look at Cornell University Medical Center's post gastric sleeve guidelines/instructions..... my doc had me on Clear liquids for 1 week then week 2 full liquids, then mushy. Cornell starts giving patients pureed meat/veggies in the hospital........

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Thanks Susan but I don't think that was the question' date=' at least not for me. I totally understand the purpose of the diet. However, when someone says that they cheated, people automatically start freaking out that it will 'cause' a leak. Just saying this forum is the only place I've seen that lists that as a cause. Obviously overeating or eating solids to early is not good when liquids is advised, but, again, there are some surgeons that tell their patients to eat whatever they can tolerate from the get go or to advance as tolerated with no specific time frame. Just curious as to why all the variations if eating solids too soon can cause a life threatening complication. Seems that there would be research to back this, and there may be but I haven't seen it.[/quote']

I too have wondered why there is so much variance in doctors orders... Some doctors tell their patients to eat Beans and oatmeal in week 2... I am in week 11 and still not allowed that... If eating refried Beans would "cause a leak" in week 11, why do some doctors give the ok at week 2?

I too have wondered why there is so much variance in doctors orders... Some doctors tell their patients to eat Beans and oatmeal in week 2... I am in week 11 and still not allowed that... If eating refried Beans would "cause a leak" in week 11' date=' why do some doctors give the ok at week 2?[/quote']

A lot of the difference comes from different mindsets & experience over time.

Much like sleevers have the mindsets of "what's best" or "what's acceptable", doctors can think the same way. Not to mention, guidelines for the sleeve started very conservative many surgeons have relaxed as they have seen much fewer complications. Then again, there are those who are simply more conservative.

Furthermore, let's not forget, surgeons are not nutritionists. I have sees surgeons recommend or "prescribe" diets or supplements that are simply not conducive to our situations.

I too have wondered why there is so much variance in doctors orders... Some doctors tell their patients to eat Beans and oatmeal in week 2... I am in week 11 and still not allowed that... If eating refried Beans would "cause a leak" in week 11, why do some doctors give the ok at week 2?

I would also suggest that the eating guidelines you are given aren't just to prevent a leak. They are also intended to help with the weight loss as well as to help you learn new habits.

The longer you are on a liquid/mushy diet, the longer you are going to be eating lower calories and having higher losses. When you start introducing more normal food, the weight loss will most likely slow down. If you start eating that normal food too soon, you might not have had a chance to learn better eating habits.

Personally, I found that my pre-op diet and my post-op diet was very bland, so I found that when I did start adding more normal foods to my diet, I tended to not like things because the taste was too strong. I was particularly sensitive to things that tasted too sugary. If my diet hadn't been so different for so long, I might not have developed this "natural" revulsion.

A lot of the difference comes from different mindsets & experience over time.

Much like sleevers have the mindsets of "what's best" or "what's acceptable", doctors can think the same way. Not to mention, guidelines for the sleeve started very conservative many surgeons have relaxed as they have seen much fewer complications. Then again, there are those who are simply more conservative.

Furthermore, let's not forget, surgeons are not nutritionists. I have sees surgeons recommend or "prescribe" diets or supplements that are simply not conducive to our situations.

What I found really difficult was my surgeon and nutritionist ALWAYS conflicted each other and knew it! The NUT would say in my meetings with her, "He'll tell you to do this, but don't..." The surgeon would say, "Nutritionists are idiots...they don't know what they are talking about... do what I say..." My surgeon had absolutely NO respect for the NUTS and would say, "Whatever they gave you (handouts, etc) throw it away!"

The entire experience left me very confused and frustrated.

Totally disagree ' date=' it should not be common at all. I have not thrown up once or overate. I believe that the majority can and do listen to their bodies and when they are satiated they stop eating.[/quote']

I tend to agree, but I think it takes most a while to learn how to listen to their body in order to eat to satisfaction instead of full or over full. It took me a good 2-3 months to gain a 6th sense about eating to satisfaction. Before that, I had my fair share (perhaps more than my far share) or sliming, throwing up or just wishing I really had not eaten that last bite or two.

My surgeon was very conservative. My diet was 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full liquids and 2 weeks puree. I attribute this diet to the fact that I healed quickly, lost weight quickly and am now able to tolerate just about anything. I think the only thing I hate the feel of is densely packed ground beef. I also attribute it to reversing my diabetic condition and lowering my cholesterol.

I guess I was one who didn't mind the post-op diet because I really had no desire for anything other that what was prescribed. I did "cheat" one or twice, but it consisted of a finger dipped in the Peanut Butter jar and a bite of some mushed up fish on week 3.

I think an earlier poster is right. It's near to impossible to pinpoint the cause of a leak, but following a strict diet after your stomach was just sliced open is smart. It helps healing and trains your body for a new way of eating.

Now, there are documented cases of people busting their sutures or RNY pouches by binge eating just post-op. Somebody posted some stories in another thread, but these are people with real issues who absolutely gorged themselves.

Just play it safe and stick to the diet. It's not forever and it will pay off.