Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated and very scared/emotional

You will be fine..just call doctor..a lot if folks here think they are doctors..and have degrees in gastrology or something..but alit if people don't know what they are talking about and it is actually bad fir a lot of people to get discouraged by these folks..I don't come on here too much anymore..

These threads are a real trip because I cannot believe how judgmental people are. This is a support network and I am new here but probably will get on another site because honestly it's one thing to be up front with someone but to just downright come down on them is uncalled for. She indicated she is really emotional and we all have had this surgery because we have food issues so this slip up while frightening is I'm sure, not unheard of. If you have this thing licked, then constructively help the rest of us that don't.

Go tell your surgeon how you "cheated" and see if the office staff flows into the room to give you hugs and words of encouragement.

People typically come here to confess because they know their doctor will be furious with them. It's easy to say you cheated then cry how people were rude to you on an anonymous forum, try doing it in real life where people can really hold you accountable for your actions. We're on this forum because we're serious about changing our lives and have made a serious comittment.

It's rather infuriating to see people here almost making a mockery of our struggles to stick to the plan and find real help on issues like food intolerance and social interactions. The fact that you can't follow a simple 1-week out diet and come here complaining about it in front of people that have had serious complications like Iggy is just insulting.

And I told myself I wasn't going to post on these threads anymore. :(

I really want to help others through this journey like so many here have helped me, but I feel that lately people are not doing any research, cheating constantly, then coming here to be comforted and told that blatently ignoring their surgeon's orders is okay. I signed a contract with my surgeon saying that I would follow all of the pre and post surgical guidelines. Didn't anyone else?!

As I write this there have been over 1,000 people on this forum in the last 20 minutes. If you want to see for yourself click on the logo on the top left and then scroll all the way down. Of those people, the majority are guests, unregistered inquirers. We have to decide for their sake what we are all about here.

If our main priority is to be a fun and kind forum, sweetness and tact should be our rule. If this was a model train forum I would be all for that. This forum is about life and death. If we are here to present the gravity of this decision as well as it's benefits, clarity and un-pulled punches should be the rule. If you have ever dealt with the public in general you know that it takes a lot to get through to them. Any Teflon on the blade dulls the effect and gives the wrong impression.

I think every potential sleever should watch a video of the operation. Not ever seeing our stomach puts us at a distance from the consequences of our abuse. If it were a visual wound we would take much more care.

http://www.orlive.com/halifaxhealth/videos/weighing-the-options-gastric-sleeve-surgery?

Above is a video of the operation with explanation. I think it makes clearer why post-op diet discipline is necessary.

Here is the reality check coming. You have just undergone a major anatomical change to your body surgery to facilitate weight loss because you are miserable being fat. You' date=' like everyone else here, tried everything else and decided to have this surgery as a last resort. You are putting yourself at major risk eating these things, especially the popcorn. It has tiny hard particles that could get caught in the wound that is trying to heal. Only time will tell whether you get an infection from doing that. I hope you don't.

I had my surgery Dec. 7 and knew that Christmas was going to not be the same. It was hard and I ate some mashed avocado and had one bite too much before finally walking away and feeling pretty yucky for 20 minutes. The surgery is a behavioral reinforcement tool that doesn't fix everything. It seems to me that your head hunger is getting the best of you and some counseling to deal with this would be helpful. I spent over 6 months in weekly cognitive behavioral therapy to work on head hunger and food addiction before embarking on this surgical journey. I just stared at my teenager's piece of pizza and my mouth was watering wanting to take a bite. I used some of the self-talking tools I learned in therapy to overcome this temptation. You can do it too but getting help to learn is essential.

My final words are this - do not beat yourself up over it. Reality is that what is done is done and you can only change what you do going forward. You CAN change the way you choose to respond in the future. If that means you avoid certain situations, then do it. Wishing you all the best.[/quote']

Can you tell me how to find a program like that or

PM me I'm interested to know more info. Not sleeved yet and cheating never crossed my mine with all the Few too many leak survivors on here it is more than a scary. Thought!

Good luck OP

We are here to support you!

My advice is to stay away from situations that are tempting. Instead of taking your daughter out stay home and rent a new release. If you are going to a family gathering make sure that you are taking something that is sleeve friendly. If you take your food restrictions seriously then everyone around you will also. Your children don't need fast food anymore than you do. You can find other little ways to treat them without food. In the meantime I would call your surgeons office just to talk to them about recommending a counseling program and also so they know to monitor you a little more closely for the near future to make sure your cheats didn't hurt your new sleeve.

Everyone's journeys different. Our Pre-surgery lives and relationships with food vary so it goes without saying that our post-sleeve lives will also vary. I've cheated -thank God no complications other than temporarily feeling like I wanted to puke my guts up and/or pass out! Every single day is a struggle with food-my head (and nut, dr. Etc.) say ok to eat chicken and eggs, etc. etc. Well, I can't. Two or three tiny bites and done! Veggies are not going down at all. Water must have addiditves. Am I tempted to eat other things? Sure. But I don't. Not when my own body is telling me "nah, can't digest that, sweetheart!" Whaaaaaaa! I'm surviving on Greek yogurt, cheese, daily shake and Protein Bar. I ate a few homemade Christmas Cookies, they went down just fine (figures!) but couldn't eat my Cornish game hen, green Beans, etc. This journey is not for the weak-choices and decisions need to be made with every bite of food or sip of beverage each and every day. I know that by next Oct. I'll be in much better shape, consumption wise, and without getting depressed, I've decided that this is my year to sacrifice my addiction for food for a healthier body. I've had my pizza. I've had my fried, greasy foods (you don't get to almost 300 pounds by eating salads!). I will have my salads and chickens-eventually! For now, I'm shrinking away and eating a lot of dairy -Mooooooo!

The surgery is one tool in this journey, self control and discipline are others.. please learn from this mistake or you are setting yourself up for alot of pain and misery. good luck and stay strong.

I'm a food addict too. What I did on Christmas was allow myself a small portion of mashed potatoes. I swallowed those. I did chew up ham and quickly spit it out...sounds gross but I get the flavor without the calories

Imagine taking a large knife and slicing your hand in half. 5 days later, put those items in your hand. Now squeeze like the stomach does. Without opening your hand, trickle Water thru at an ounce every 15 minutes. Keep the fist closed and continue to squeeze for days. Imagine all the problems that this can create. This is why we are scared for you. Hopefully your honesty will keep others from making the same mistake. Bless you.

The scariest thing about this is we haven't heard back from the OP :(

I'm worried about her.

Mainly because she is so early out and popcorn can wreak havoc even months out.

I sure hope she is okay.

I also hope she continues to come to VST.

:(

Ih happens, move on:-) Ps it will probably happen again..

The scariest thing about this is we haven't heard back from the OP :(

I'm worried about her.

Mainly because she is so early out and popcorn can wreak havoc even months out.

I sure hope she is okay.

I also hope she continues to come to VST.

:(

I agree, I know some have been unkind to you and even bragged about running you off but please know some really do care. Let us know you are ok please.

I've been reading for hours on this forum and kept reading how people had 'cheated' just a little with toast and had no bad experience. Yesterday and today my husband cooked up batches of left over cheese rounds and I was very tempted to try and eat just one. But then I remembered reading the 'how serious this is' posts and I had a little cream of chicken Soup instead.

If I have any thoughts again of going off track again before i am fully healed I will jcome back and re-read this post. Thanks everyone for your help.

BRAVO!!! This is what we are trying to accomplish. Besides the immediate danger, the OP is setting herself up by continuing her normal "I crave it so I'm going to have it" habit. Not only are these months for healing, they are for completely changing you eating habits and your issues with food. It's a training period for when most people just really do not feel like eating normal foods anyway.

Maybe we should have a pinned DO and DO NOT list posted and pinned like:

DO follow your surgeons post-surgery diet to the letter

DO eat Protein first and fill in the edges with a little healthy carbs like veggies and Quinoa.

DO take your Vitamins, minerals and Calcium daily

DO exercise when you get cleared

DO drink all your water/fluids

DO NOT eat popcorn or nuts until cleared to do so.

DO NOT eat until you feel sick or hurt.

DO NOT drink alcohol until cleared to do so and then WATCH IT. Cross additions are common and alcohol has tons of calories.

DO NOT eat nutritionally devoid high calorie foods such as white flour, white rice, high sugar, etc.

DO NOT eat highly processed foods.

The last two are debated by some people, but as a rule I follow the last 3 except for very special occasions.

I was sleeved on 12/17 and so badly wanted some dressing. I stayed in on Christmas just to relax and to avoid all the different smells. I had my mom send me some dressing and cranberry so I could freeze it until I can have it when I'm able to eat regular food....I think it helps me just to look forward to eating it...

I was sleeved on 12/17 and so badly wanted some dressing. I stayed in on Christmas just to relax and to avoid all the different smells. I had my mom send me some dressing and cranberry so I could freeze it until I can have it when I'm able to eat regular food....I think it helps me just to look forward to eating it...

Way to tough it out, Candyapple! :)