Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery jitters. Less than 48 hours!

I've been reading this forum for weeks but I think it's time I finally join and introduce myself. I'm Christie, from south Louisiana and have been interested in gastric sleeve surgery for over a year. My surgery date is 12/28/12. I've done my homework on the technicalities of the surgery and want to thank all of the members of this forum for letting me look into their experiences.

The most nerve wracking part of this part of the journey is not knowing exactly what to expect. I'm writing a list of what to pack for the hospital and trying to figure out what I need to get done before I go in. This isn't as simple as I expected.

Will it be necessary to have someone with me 24/7 when I get back from the hospital?

What limitations will I be facing when I get home?

I know everyone reacts differently to surgery, but ANY tips, personal experience, or advice will help.

Thanks!

Hi Christie, welcome. The only thing I'd take to the hospital is a robe, socks and gas-x. As far as limitations, you may want someone with you the first day or 2 just because it can be hard to sit/stand due to the incisions, I was told no lifting over 5 lbs. and limited bending/twisting for 3 weeks post-op. So if I drop something or whatever, I'd do a squat and work my legs :) As far as tips, if you have gas pain in your shoulders, back roll your shoulders back and forth and squeeze them together, it really helped relieve it alot. I also rubbed my stomach in circles, lightly, just to help move the gas around. I honestly didn't have any pain after surgery and didn't require any pain meds at all, the worst part for me was the dry mouth. I asked for a cup of ice Water w/ an empty cup so I could swish it around my mouth and spit it out and promised I wouldn't swallow any of it, and they let me, which was awesome. Other than that's, it's been a breeze. Just trying to get all my Protein and liquids in. I'm one week out today and am down 10 lbs. Good luck!!

The first day or so, you might want to have someone around. I don't know about 24/7. You'll be sore and really not feel like doing a lot.

Very few limitations, except for lifting. You'll want to get up and walk as much as possible. The sooner you get up and about the better you will feel.

Drink as much Fluid as you can, and make sure you get your Protein and Vitamins etc. Try not to overdo the moving about the first day or so, but you will feel better pretty quickly so get moving as soon as you can.

I had my surgery one week ago and I am young 24 and I did need someone with me. I was in lots of pain after surgery. My mom stayed home with me 6 days after surgery mostly to feed me or give me drinks and to help me in and out of bed/chairs. Since you can't use your abdominal muscles because they hurt so bad or can cause a hernia if you do you really can't lift your upper body on your own. Today was my first day without her but I still need a little help sitting up in bed. Walk walk walk not only does it get rid of gas which you will know what we are all talking about after you don't want a clot of pneumonia. It also really helps me with back pain from sitting or laying too long. I didn't think about this when I went into surgery but once I got home ad was super uncomfortable my grandfather had to Ning me his recliner. It hurts to sit normal for a whirl an he got me an electric one that even stands you up which helps a lot. I have friend who slept in one for two weeks after surgery because it hurts to lay on a normal flat bed, luckily my mom had one of those beds that moves up and down like a hospital one. Everyone is different but this is my experience.

For the first few days after surgery I felt discomfort, including gas, but no real pain. I haven't taken any meds after being discharged. You won't feel like doing to much but make sure you go for as many short walks as you feel comfortable doing. Don't push yourself, but moving like this will help with the discomfort and get any gas from the procedure moving. While your having this quiet and relaxed few days remind yourself to get excited about the new you that is coming. Good luck - Deano

Definitely have someone with you and prepare them.... Things I would suggest that I went though ..... Gross but I couldnt wipe my own butt and my husband had to do it.... The twisting back was sore and couldn't do it.... Pillow and blanket in car/ truck because my back hurt from the sitting.... It just made it more comfortable and when driving the bumps and such hurt so I hugged the pillow. Even when coughing holding a pillow helped tons. Walking is key!!!!! I was walking first night at hospital and helped with gas! I didn't have pain cause of stitches I had gas pain!! Best thing was when they finally brought me my first meal!! broth Protein Shake and crystal lite lemonaid!!! The lemonaid was the best ever!!! Soo thirsty!! You will be fine!!! Scary yes but before ya know it your out!!! Focus on just doing it and getting it done! Good luck and I've lost 37lbs in four weeks!!! All worth it!!

Hi!!

I am scheduled for my VGS on the same day. I can understand the jitters as I am having some as well. Positive thoughts to you and know that it will only get better on the other side. Best of luck on S-day on Friday!!! I will be thinking about you as I go in too.

Christy

Good luck to you! I'm in southern Mississippi & hoping to have all the insurance hoops conquered to have surgery in March. I think with any type of surgery it's a good idea to have someone to help you out just in case. But hopefully you'll come through with flying colors

Good luck to you! I'm in southern Mississippi & hoping to have all the insurance hoops conquered to have surgery in March. I think with any type of surgery it's a good idea to have someone to help you out just in case. But hopefully you'll come through with flying colors

Hi AudOne,

I am also in South MS. I have my apt today to pick a surgery date.

Christine: I am 60yrs old and had my surgery 12/21/12. I had no gas pain, no surgery pain and was up and walking about 3 hours after surgery. The worst thing was the dry mouth and dry lips. They gave me ice chips right away though and that helped. I also used lip balm constantly! I took no rx for pain at all. I live with my mother so she was there when I got home and there 24/7. But I didn't need any help doing anything. I was able to get up to go to the bathroom, go up and down stairs and do my exercise which right now is on a is on an exercise bike due to the snow and cold (in MN). I've had other abdominal surgeries that caused me no problems but I did think that I would have some issues due to my age. All I really took with me to the hospital was some exercise pants, toothpaste, tooth brush, lip balm, some other toiletries and some slippers. I didn't really wear anything but the hospital gown and robe - it was just easier for me. I am amazed at how good I've done. I drove on the 26th to my post op appointment and had no trouble. They were amazed that I was doing so well. Have no trouble with the liquid diet right now, upgrading to full liquids on 12/28/12 and can't wait. Good luck on your surgery and keep positive thoughts and do everything that they tell you to do. Kathy

All of the above. Sit up while sipping. Ask for a nausea patch when you go in for preop it will help with the nausea just in case. Just tell them you are prone to motion sickness....and yes walk walk walk as soon as possible. Try to lay off the morphine if you are given any, it makes the nausea worse..good luck