Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery - December 27th!

I have to say that throughout the last month, this blog site has been my savior! I appreciate all the comments, encouragement, and support that everyone on here seems to share. I'm currently a week away, and on my low-carb diet... it hasn't been too bad at all. It's funny; I was telling my husband last night that prior to surgery authorization, I was on top of everything! Speedy to get my psych evaluation, my blood draws and everything for approval. Now that I've received it, and my surgery date is next week, I'm lagging! By that, I mean I have this whole bowl full of chewable vitamins, Protein Drinks, powders, liquids etc. that my NUT has given me, and I have only tried one thing. What am I waiting for??

I think I am subconsciously really nervous... has anyone had second thoughts? I do know that this is a life changer and I am soooo ready for that change. Maybe just pre-surgery jitters. That's what I'm chalking it up to.

Best to all of you throughout your endeavors and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Stephanie

I did the same thing. I did not start my Vitamins until afetr surgery. I also didn't touch the Protein powders either and that was a huge mistake. If could go back and change anything, I would find a Protein powder I could deal with. I have tried a ton and not been a huge fan. I just ordered the unjury chicken Soup upon the recommendation of so many people here. You will need the Protein supplmentation and knowing what you do/don't like beforehand, will make things so much easier.

Jitters are totally normal. I felt like I wasn't sure I should get the surgery if I was doing fine on the pre-op diet. But then I would reality check myself and I knew that deep down, I couldn't last. The surgery really isn't too bad and the recovery is fast. I think the hardest part is the first week trying to get used to how you eat (well, drink) and knowing what is normal. Best advice someone gave me here is to follow what your doctor recommends for the pre/post op diet, no matter what.

I just want to say how grateful I am for this site and how much I have learned from all of my fellow sleevers! I also have surgery scheduled for the 27th and am getting nervous. I am an ER Nurse and know exactly what to expect and who will be with me in the OR but I am still scared. This was a HUGE decision for me and I, like Stephanie, had been having doubts a few weeks ago also but I think after my pre-surgical testing the other day reality sunk in and I have just been ready to get my life back. I am ready to be active in life again without being short-winded! Thanks for the idea to go ahead and try the protein- I was kinda waiting until I actually needed to take it ( hehe!) but I think you are right to find what works for me now instead of waiting. Good luck on the 27th Stephanie and all other upcoming sleevers- we got this!!!

Stacy,

Best of luck to you too! I'd like to stay in touch with you since our surgeries are on the same day... it would be nice to have that "buddy" to talk to to keep each other on our toes and support. Good luck to you! Guess I will be drinking some Protein shakes this weekend..... :)

Stephanie,

That is an awesome idea!!! We can do this gal!!! I had to start my liquids yesterday and it wasn't that bad- all I have to say is thank goodness for Soup and pudding!!! Hehehe! I work in the ER the next 3 days so that will be the real test- during Christmas there is usually enough food in the ER to feed a small country!! Good luck with ur Protein Shakes this weekend- you got this! Chat at ya later buddy!

Stacy

You guys are so friendly!!! Your surgeries are going to be just fine. I went home the next day (surgery was Dec. 7) and felt so ready. Some people stay on a little longer but I can't stand being in a different bed. One thing that was unexpetced was that they made sure I was on "stage 2" foods before I left the hospital. They brought me a puree of chicken and rice. I was nervous about that because my post op diet was supposed to be liquids and purees were not supposed to start until week 4. But, I had no problem keeping it down. The worst part of the hospital stay is the lovanox (spelling?) shots in the stomach. I don't know if this is standard protocol but they are supposed to help prevent blood clots by thinning your blood. So, that was the worst part for me.

I am having mine on the 27th too! I tried the Protein yesterday (AMP whey from GNC) and it wasn't too bad. I've done the powders before and to me it's just ok. I bought 2 flavors and broth. I hope I have everthing I need. My doctor didn't require me to do a pre-op diet. Only liquids 24 hours before surgery. I think this might make it worse because I feel like I have to eat whatever I will miss! Especially with all this holiday food around, ugh! I'm a nurse too, in dialysis and the patients won't stop bringing in all the treats! Please keep in touch with me too. I don't know of anyone else having the surgery the same day as me. :))))

Stomlin75- thank you for letting us know what we have to look forward to- that helps more than you know!!! I am glad you are doing so well and I hope mine goes just as good! Mommybo- all right gal I got ya down!! We will do this together along with Steph and kick fat's butt!!! Hehehe! Glad to know a fellow nurse!!! Okey dokey ladies- 6 days left!!! We got this!!!

Hi, all. I am also the 27th, along with my 22 year old son, we're doing this together. I'm 53, 251 pounds, haven't started really exercising yet. My son is 6'6", started at 429 is down to 385 already and we are doing our preop, shakes only, two week diet. FUN! ;) and, yum :wacko:. Just wanted to tell you that I found a delicious shake combo. We are using Premier Protein shakes, chocolate. We get them from costco, 18 pack for $24.99. 160 cals, 30 gms of Protein. They are really good. To me, they taste like chocolate milk. Well, I visited GNC and bought some of their Total Lean Lean shake 25 in pumpkin Spice. 25 gms protein, 200 cals in the full serving of two scoops. I mix them together in my blender. If you like pumpkin spice flavor and chocolate...it makes an awesome shake. I only make this at night to finish my day in a double serving. I am supposed to have five shakes a day. This way, I get four in a day.

Anyhoo, I go at 6:00 a.m. next Thursday and my son is supposed to be there at 8:30, but we will go together at 6:00. We pre-registered yesterday and had the chest x-ray, blood workup, EKG and I had to have a CT scan of my surgical hernia (from my 2007 hysterectomy) to see how bad it is. If it is worse than they hope, the surgeon will put a "temporary" fix on it to try to hold it together until I lose weight, and then we will fix it permanently.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :P

To the posters who are nurses, I want to train after I lose my weight (or a good portion of it) to become a CNA. How is the job market for CNAs?

OK ladies! 3 days to go. Are you ready?? I packed me a little bag for the hospital and just ordered some samples of Protein packs online. I have bought some already from GNC but want to try some different options. Do you have everything you need for the hospital ready to go, and for when you come home? I keep thinking of little things, like hair ties, LOL. Anyone getting as nervous/excited as me? Tell me how your feeling so I know I'm not alone. :P

Hi' date=' all. I am also the 27th, along with my 22 year old son, we're doing this together. I'm 53, 251 pounds, haven't started really exercising yet. My son is 6'6", started at 429 is down to 385 already and we are doing our preop, shakes only, two week diet. FUN! ;) and, yum :wacko:. Just wanted to tell you that I found a delicious shake combo. We are using Premier Protein shakes, chocolate. We get them from costco, 18 pack for 24.99. 160 cals, 30 gms of Protein. They are really good. To me, they taste like chocolate milk. Well, I visited GNC and bought some of their Total Lean Lean shake 25 in pumpkin Spice. 25 gms protein, 200 cals in the full serving of two scoops. I mix them together in my blender. If you like pumpkin spice flavor and chocolate...it makes an awesome shake. I only make this at night to finish my day in a double serving. I am supposed to have five shakes a day. This way, I get four in a day.

Anyhoo, I go at 6:00 a.m. next Thursday and my son is supposed to be there at 8:30, but we will go together at 6:00. We pre-registered yesterday and had the chest x-ray, blood workup, EKG and I had to have a CT scan of my surgical hernia (from my 2007 hysterectomy) to see how bad it is. If it is worse than they hope, the surgeon will put a "temporary" fix on it to try to hold it together until I lose weight, and then we will fix it permanently.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :P

To the posters who are nurses, I want to train after I lose my weight (or a good portion of it) to become a CNA. How is the job market for CNAs?[/quote']

Hi, not interfering or anything hunny but the body can only absorb 27grams of protein in one sitting, so doubling up your powder isn't giving you extra protein hunny. Xxx

I have to say that throughout the last month' date=' this blog site has been my savior! I appreciate all the comments, encouragement, and support that everyone on here seems to share. I'm currently a week away, and on my low-carb diet... it hasn't been too bad at all. It's funny; I was telling my husband last night that prior to surgery authorization, I was on top of everything! Speedy to get my psych evaluation, my blood draws and everything for approval. Now that I've received it, and my surgery date is next week, I'm lagging! By that, I mean I have this whole bowl full of chewable Vitamins, Protein drinks, powders, liquids etc. that my NUT has given me, and I have only tried one thing. What am I waiting for??

I think I am subconsciously really nervous... has anyone had second thoughts? I do know that this is a life changer and I am soooo ready for that change. Maybe just pre-surgery jitters. That's what I'm chalking it up to.

Best to all of you throughout your endeavors and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Stephanie[/quote']

I know you are nervous but just go in and it will be over before you know it, I'll be that way come next month but praying for a speedy recovery for you and Merry Christmas to you!

OK ladies! 3 days to go. Are you ready?? I packed me a little bag for the hospital and just ordered some samples of Protein packs online. I have bought some already from GNC but want to try some different options. Do you have everything you need for the hospital ready to go' date=' and for when you come home? I keep thinking of little things, like hair ties, LOL. Anyone getting as nervous/excited as me? Tell me how your feeling so I know I'm not alone. :P[/quote']

I feel a little unprepared really. I'm a last minute packer kind of person anyway :-) I think I'll get it all together though. (Probably on the 26th lol) not nervous really, just excited!