Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of advice do you wish you had in the beginning?

Hi,

I'm a 24 year old college student and I am learning about WLS and am considering the sleeve for many reasons. I have my first consultation tomorrow and I am finding it hard to think of questions to ask the doctor. I have a few questions that I feel are fairly basic (How many sleeve procedures have you done? How many patients have complications? What are some of the common complications? etc.) but I would like to know from people who have "been there and done that" what kinds of questions are beneficial? Are there any questions that you wished you had asked? Are there any stupid questions? Is there anything you wish you had known about?

Also, does any one have anything that they feel might be beneficial for someone who is just starting out in this journey to know about?

This is my first post and I'm not 100% sure I put this post in the right place and I still have some poking around to do to figure this site out, so if this is in the wrong place, Sorry! :)

First there are no dumb questions..here or at doctor's office. Ask what their follow up procedures are? Do they have a nutritionist on sight? What about after hour problems, do they have someone on call? What exactly will insurance cover? Get a time frame. The most important piece of advice I got from them was to take an active part in getting every thing they need. My doctor required the last two years of medical records. If you let them do it and don't follow up it will take longer. Keep on top of things. Do your research on line. My surgeon has a posting on utube showing the surgery. Go to Dr. Trace Curry on Utube and look at it (it is graphic as it shows the entire surgery). Good Luck

I would ask if they have post surgery support groups, does he have his own NUT or contracted? I would get a detailed list of the pre-op requirements. There will be a list of required medical tests he wants you do to, sometimes they have a specific dr they want you to use and other times is does not matter. It helps to know a time line, who to contact in his office for insurance, NUT questions, pre-op, post op, etc.. My process when very fast, less than 90 days and I wish I would have asked more questions on post op instead of pre-op. I agree with previous poster that you determine how fast or slow this process is. I wanted it done and pressed my appointments and paperwork thru, had I not done that, I might still be waiting on surgery. If you want this, you need to take charge and be prepared for calling, the doc, the insurance, etc. until you get the appointments, approval, etc.. I am so glad I did it. It was the solution for me.

I can't think of anything that I wish I would have asked. I felt like this board helped to prep me a lot. The number one bit of advice that I got from this board that I would never have thought of nor would my surgical team or nurses had suggested was this: ask for a heating pad for the pain in your shoulders after you get out of surgery. That was the worse pain that I had throughout, but I knew to ask for a heating pad and that made it go away right away! It was amazing! So that is my number one piece of advice.

Since you are just starting out, you might not need that piece of advice for a while but when you do use it, it will be worth it!!

Not necessarily questions I did not ask, but:

Confirm he will be following up with you while in the hospital, and not another doctor.

Confirm ALLLLLL who will be involved are covered by your health insurance, if going that route.

If you have any digestive disorders that run in your family. This can be real important.

Get it all laid out how he bills you, and what is covered - to.the.dime.

We weary if you are told you have to buy so much of a protien drink or something in advance. This is a red flag for getting a new doctor.

Hope that helps!

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply! It is helping so much. I think sometimes the best way to learn is from those who have been there, done that.

No advice on what to ask, but my advice to the newly sleeved or planning to be sleeved is to save money for new clothes! You're gonna need them!

If you have ever had a c section or any type of abdominal surgery ask an MRI is done to check and plan for scar tissue. I reported c section but I didn't ask for MRI and he didn't order it. He cut my small bowel and I winded up with two extra surgeries and four extra nights in hospital. I am lucky to have survived, I think it should have been checked out more carefully and the cuts made more skillfully.

None, but with anything you have to do your homework. Do the research, ask questions. As you think of questions jot them down, be prepared when you meet with your physician or nutritionist. Oh an most importantly, follow your physician's instructions, some choose to ignore important information.....you don't want to do that.

I feel so blessed - I felt almost... overinformed...lol. I can't think of a thing that came as a true surprise.

I had a lapband in 2001 and this was a complete oppositie experience - I REALLY knew what i was getting into this time, I understood in depth why I needed it and why diets just didn't work for me. I knew how to eat and had a lifeline of a nutritionalist on call/by email 5 days a week. I think those things helped me so much with my success as I had it to fall back on, whenever there were doubts.

I wish I had asked more specific questions about post op pain meds. I was expecting a PCA and not having one threw me for a real loop. Took a few hours to get my pain under control and that was something I thought I had straight. Now I think I just assumed due to reading here.

I'd also ask how long it takes from first consult to surgery. Most insurance companies require 3-6 months of dieting before they approve. I started in May and won't get my sleeve til February. I was under the impression that I'd be able to get in during the November/December time frame.

The extra 3 month wait has not done me any favors as I've gained 10 of the 35lbs I've lost. It's so frustrating....the last thing my nutritionist said to me was 'the doctor doesn't like it when patients gain weight.' Ultimately it's my own fault for not staying consistent but this is the whole reason I need the surgery in the first place! The doctor doesn't like it....i'm still chafing....like I give a crap what the doctor likes, I'm not doing this for him! /rant

I would ask that "in case a leak or any other serious complications occur, how well prepared are you to handle it?"

I did not not find out until I had a leak that my surgeon pretty much had no idea what to do if something went wrong , because it never happened before. So I was passed off onto many other doctors that also had little experience since it is such a specialized field. I'm sure that you will be fine, but that is something I wish I had even thought to ask my surgeon.

I would ask that "in case a leak or any other serious complications occur' date=' how well prepared are you to handle it?"

I did not not find out until I had a leak that my surgeon pretty much had no idea what to do if something went wrong , because it never happened before. So I was passed off onto many other doctors that also had little experience since it is such a specialized field. I'm sure that you will be fine, but that is something I wish I had even thought to ask my surgeon.[/quote']

Yes! That is a very good question!