Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Vegetarian Sleevers? Spicy food?

Hi I am totally a newbie and am looking into the sleeve as an option for me. I am a vegetarian, I travel ALOT and I eat Indian food frequently...rice and spicy curries. Does anyone have any advice about this? How do Sleevers tolerate spicy food.

Thanks!

It really depends on the individual. I've talked to quite a few people that have no problem with it, others do. And if you don't tolerate it the first time you try it, you might tolerate it a few weeks later as your stomach adjusts.

I've always loved spicy food as well. On my one week post op appointment I asked my doc if I could add spicy seasonings to my broth. He said it was fine, but to do it gradually. He also advised me to add seasonings one at a time to check for tolerance.

I'm three months out now and have never had a problem with that.

I can eat spicy food just fine. The trick is that post-sleeve we are instructed not to drink with meals. It's tough for me to get through a spicy meal with nothing to drink, so I tend to avoid frequent spicy meals.

I have an indian food blog and cook spicy curries often. Almost 7 weeks out, and I tolerate the spice just fine. I keep a liitle yogurt nearby for if I feel its too spicy.

I have an indian food blog and cook spicy curries often. Almost 7 weeks out' date=' and I tolerate the spice just fine. I keep a liitle yogurt nearby for if I feel its too spicy.[/quote']

What's the blog's url?

Yes please do share the blog address.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

www.myfancypantry.com

Since being sleeved (I'm 7 weeks out) I've enjoyed the chicken masala and chole masala quite often. When I was on purees I would blend them up with a little greek yogurt and, occasionally, some rice.

Most of the recipes are not completely WLS friendly--but quite a few can easily be tweaked. This blog is fairly successful, and I don't really plan on making it "vsg friendly." I really enjoy cooking with real foods and creating fun dishes. I don't foresee myself using sugar-free ingredients or replacing ingredients with "diet" food. For right now, I don't eat everything that I've posted. My husband does. If it fits into my plan, I'll try it though (just a taste). My ultimate goal is enjoying--with moderation--something I could never do before surgery!

To find the curry recipes I've posted so far: On the right hand side of the blog there should be a category menu. Choose "Indian" or "curry" ...they should pop up. :)

I'm hoping I'll be successful with my surgery and eventually I'll be able to enjoy a little bit of anything I make.

I just made a wonderful curry that is diet friendly the other day and my whole family LOVED it!

10 small yellow potatoes-quartered and boiled

1 C frozen peas

1 can chickpeas

3 small diced plum tomatoes

1/2 box gardennay sqaush Soup (or any squash soup) - about 1.5 cup

2 onions

1 inch piece of ginger, shaved or minced

4 tblsp low-fat yogurt

1 can coconut milk

Indian seasonings-2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cardammon, 3 tsp curry powder, salt to taste

green coriander for garnish

Using large saute pan, Saute the onions till tender, and add soup; then add seasonings

-boil the potatoes till firm/tender

-add chickpeas, potatoes and peas to sauce, cook for 5 minutes-add rest of ingred and tomatoes.

Cook on very low for an hour or more to let all the flavours combine.

It is full of veg, ones that are easy to digest during the switch to soft/solids and yum! Nutrition is roughly (a serving size here is almost a cup-realistically, we will eat about half of that)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=927401

the curry sounds good, but for a real authentic curry...don't use curry powder. That stuff is just cheap filler. Especially if you're already using garam masala.

Instead, try adding a little ground cumin, coriander and a pinch of tumeric. Before you start cooking the onions/garlic/ginger in the oil, add about a tsp of cumin seeds. When they pop, then toss in the onions. When the onions are soft, cook the garlic and ginger. Then, add the dry spices and cook for a min or so. You can toss in a few slit green chilies or dried red chilies too, for heat. You'll notice a difference...and it will be amazing! :)

You can also make that curry without the coconut milk too. It's really not needed if you're adding yogurt. And I'm not sure why there is Soup added...Just use Water or veg. stock. You'll cut out a ton of cals, and have a "homestyle" Indian veg curry!

Tip for when adding yogurt to a hot curry (as you usually add it towards the end of preparation)...whip the yogurt first. Don't just add it straight from the container. It makes a huge difference and will help your curry have a balanced flavor. If you don't whip it, you may notice it tastes a little "off." Too tangy. Also, just add a little at a time. You really don't need much.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful suggestions on my recipe-mine was geared to me and my kids, so that's why I added the Soup and not so many spices-I should have said that :)

The Soup just adds a bit more mild flavour mixed with the yogurt-easier for me to digest as I cannot handle spicy right now and the kids wont eat it.

As soon as I can, i am definitely going to use your tips to make a real curry :)

My blog: myfriendsthinkimcrazy.wordpress.com

I hope you do! If you'd like to try a very mild, somewhat sweet authentic curry...try my Vegetarian (Vegan) Korma. It is hands down my most popular recipe on the blog. I think your kids would even like it!

To thin it down, just add Water until you get to the consistency you'd like. To up the Protein, add legumes, Beans, paneer, tofu...even chicken or shrimp would be okay in it too.

haha...sorry if I sound like a curry snob. The truth is, I kind of am. LOL Actually, I'm super passionate about Indian cuisine...and just want people to enjoy it. So often people tell me they hate curry. I ask them what kind they've had and they'll tell me something from the Chinese buffet or something made at home using curry powder. I've turned many of my friends (and complete strangers) from absolute curry haters into curry fanatics!

I checked out your blog, by the way. Nice progress! I keep neglecting my VSG blog more than I should, but you've inspired me to update today!

Thanks!!! I LOVE curry but am just starting to make it, and learn. My brother is a vegetarian and with two of my closest friends being veg as well, I cook a lot of veg dishes! I will absolutely try your recipe and cannot wait-thank you so much!!! MMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

PS- I read your blog and think you should come up with recipes for sleevers-and then write a book! You have a natural ability for food and baking-I love to cook but you are inspiring, to say the least! LOVE thecurries you posted...nom nom.

Thank you for the kind compliment! I've thought about developing recipes for sleevers, but I just couldn't do it if it meant I had to cook/bake with artificial sweetners and diet products loaded with chemicals. Unfortunately, when I read posts about what post-ops are eating...they usually involve those two things.

I started my VSG blog with the thought that I would post recipes, but I just haven't felt inspired enough, I guess. But, thanks for the suggestion! I might just have to give it another go!