Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was very worried too because I have a bmi of 35 and weigh 200.. My surgery date is Jan 5 th

Go for it :)

You are beautiful - thank you for the encouragement. :D

My BMI is 37, but I have high BP and am a diabetic. I have decided not to pay attention to the people who do not support me! Go for it!!!

My BMI is 37' date=' but I have high BP and am a diabetic. I have decided not to pay attention to the people who do not support me! Go for it!!![/quote']

Definitely do not pay attention to people who don't support you. I agree 100%. Please know that I am a supporter of this surgery. It has changed my life for the better, as it has many, many people. So I don't want ANYONE to look at my post and think that I am not supportive. The OP asked our 'what would we do' if we were in her situation. It's an impossibility to put ourselves in someone else's shoes, so i put myself in her position but with my preconceptions of the surgery....and I wouldn't do it. But I am not bashing or not supporting anyone who decides to have the surgery. Even the OP. Who knows, if she doesn't have it and in a few years she becomes morbidly obese, then she'd regret not having it. And many, many of us can relate to wishing that we could have had the surgery years ago.

I rambled, but I wanted to make really sure that everyone knows that I am 100% supportive. :-)

Good luck, OP! Your surgery is pretty soon!!

Everyone has to decide what is best for them ! This surgery was the best gift I ever gave ME!! Best wishes to you and keep us updated!!

On my surgery date, my BMI was 34. Here's the way I made my decision.

I just turned 57 and have struggled with my weight for close to 40 years. Like so many others, I've been on every diet imaginable. I've also been pretty successful on some of them; about 10 years ago I got down to a size 6. About 5 years ago I got down to a 'small' 10 for my son's wedding.

For a few days, or weeks, or months, I looked great. But then I gained it back. All of it and more. Then it got to the point that I gave up and gained more and more, but always with the intent to lose it before the next vacation, the next big event, etc. Then it hit me. Why in the world did I think that the next time would be any different than all of the attempts over the last 40 years?!?

And that's how I came to the conclusion that I had to do something different. And I'm so glad I did...

I just wanted to reply to everyone that posted here...

Thank you for your candid responses and pure honesty. All of then information and feedback you provided has been a blessing. Just knowing people are out there listening and caring, makes me feel supported. I respect all of the opinions posted here. I'm still scared (but I think that's normal... it's surgery right?) But all in all - as stated above surg is scheduled for the 26th... so there it is - full speed ahead. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I can. I think the mere fact that folks have been posting as early as two days post op is a good sign. Best of luck and thank you all again.

God bless...

Well let me share my experience and I want you to really consider it carefully, because I do not think this is a good idea when it's cosmetic (as it was for me and is for the OP).

I was low BMI with zero risk factors for the surgery. I have had surgery in the past and never had a problem. I recover quickly am active and healthy though was a 35 BMI. I had my surgery in the US at a center of excellence (whatever that means...eyes rolling) and had researched my doctor carefully. I went into surgery with the anestesoligist laughing about playing tennis with me the next week....

During the surgery I had massive internal bleeding. I spent 24 hours afterwards having full body seizures which likely caused the leak in my stomach which was discovered five weeks later. I spent two nights in a hospital through the ER while my blood was gotten under control with transfusions. I now have the risk of hepatitis in the future. But I'll look good while I'm dying of that right?

I went home from there only to return back and forth to the ER's and my doctors office for four weeks. My inability to walk more than a few feet without fainting, nausea, severe pain, etc was attributed to the blood clot left in my abdomen. My inability to breath was attributed to my being on my back all the time....

Then I was sent via ambulance to a hospital two hours away after repeated drainings of my lungs failed to help me breath. The drainings are done without anesthesia. They cut a hole in your back and stick a large needle, about the size of a knitting needle down your back into your lungs and suction out a pint or two of Fluid so you can breath. They are incredibly painful...incredibly. You feel all but the initial cut. One of them would have induced me to lose the extra weight pre-surgery...I can't possibly explain the pain...I had three total. And did I mention sometimes you have spasms afterwards...gad those are nice.

They then had to cut a hole under my breast and insert a garden size hose into my chest after spreading my ribs...again only topical anesthesia so you feel all but the cut. This is attached to a pump which constantly pumps the Fluid out of your lungs so you can breath...so you don't die! I could not eat, sleep, comfortably breath, bath myself, go to the bathroom, etc. I gained 40lbs. I nearly died. This was just to save my life from the complication of the surgery and allow them the ability to diagnose my symptoms, which then turned out to be a leak. My stomach was sending poison to my body which was flooding my diaphragm with fluid, thus filling my lungs. The tissue from my stomach was so badly damaged by the delay in treatment that they couldn't repair the leak with traditional surgical means and had to use a new technology which had a very very high failure rate, but was my only hope verses losing my stomach all together. I was in bed for sixty days. I was unable to lift anything over five pounds for three months. I had two surgeries, so basically at six weeks I started all over again with my recovery. They asked if I wanted a chaplin twice. I was away from my very small son for 22 nights. I was nearly away from him forever. This cosmetic procedure nearly killed me and has left me with damaged lungs, risks of future illnesses, and yes weight loss.

Its not worth it. Go out and pick up a garden hose and think of cramming that down your chest...try to spread your ribs....stick a knitting needle down your throat...that's easier than your back....It's not worth it.

Someone else here is going through what I did right now. It's NOT UNCOMMON!!!! I had no risks...I nearly died twice. It's not worth it!!!

Well let me share my experience and I want you to really consider it carefully, because I do not think this is a good idea when it's cosmetic (as it was for me and is for the OP).

I was low BMI with zero risk factors for the surgery. I have had surgery in the past and never had a problem. I recover quickly am active and healthy though was a 35 BMI. I had my surgery in the US at a center of excellence (whatever that means...eyes rolling) and had researched my doctor carefully. I went into surgery with the anestesoligist laughing about playing tennis with me the next week....

During the surgery I had massive internal bleeding. I spent 24 hours afterwards having full body seizures which likely caused the leak in my stomach which was discovered five weeks later. I spent two nights in a hospital through the ER while my blood was gotten under control with transfusions. I now have the risk of hepatitis in the future. But I'll look good while I'm dying of that right?

I went home from there only to return back and forth to the ER's and my doctors office for four weeks. My inability to walk more than a few feet without fainting, nausea, severe pain, etc was attributed to the blood clot left in my abdomen. My inability to breath was attributed to my being on my back all the time....

Then I was sent via ambulance to a hospital two hours away after repeated drainings of my lungs failed to help me breath. The drainings are done without anesthesia. They cut a hole in your back and stick a large needle, about the size of a knitting needle down your back into your lungs and suction out a pint or two of Fluid so you can breath. They are incredibly painful...incredibly. You feel all but the initial cut. One of them would have induced me to lose the extra weight pre-surgery...I can't possibly explain the pain...I had three total. And did I mention sometimes you have spasms afterwards...gad those are nice.

They then had to cut a hole under my breast and insert a garden size hose into my chest after spreading my ribs...again only topical anesthesia so you feel all but the cut. This is attached to a pump which constantly pumps the Fluid out of your lungs so you can breath...so you don't die! I could not eat, sleep, comfortably breath, bath myself, go to the bathroom, etc. I gained 40lbs. I nearly died. This was just to save my life from the complication of the surgery and allow them the ability to diagnose my symptoms, which then turned out to be a leak. My stomach was sending poison to my body which was flooding my diaphragm with fluid, thus filling my lungs. The tissue from my stomach was so badly damaged by the delay in treatment that they couldn't repair the leak with traditional surgical means and had to use a new technology which had a very very high failure rate, but was my only hope verses losing my stomach all together. I was in bed for sixty days. I was unable to lift anything over five pounds for three months. I had two surgeries, so basically at six weeks I started all over again with my recovery. They asked if I wanted a chaplin twice. I was away from my very small son for 22 nights. I was nearly away from him forever. This cosmetic procedure nearly killed me and has left me with damaged lungs, risks of future illnesses, and yes weight loss.

Its not worth it. Go out and pick up a garden hose and think of cramming that down your chest...try to spread your ribs....stick a knitting needle down your throat...that's easier than your back....It's not worth it.

Someone else here is going through what I did right now. It's NOT UNCOMMON!!!! I had no risks...I nearly died twice. It's not worth it!!!

I don't really have any words to respond to your post. I am grateful to hear your perspective. It scares the crap out of me... and one of the things I have discussed with my husband is - am I lowering my life expectancy by having this surgery. The goal is to be a healthy weight - stop killing my self with substances that aren't healthy either, but at the same time - I want to be an old woman someday, and hope this doesn't shorten my time here. I know this may sound irrational lDK...

Not sure that it matters but where did you have surgery?

I will be praying for you. How are you now?

I am so sorry again.

You seem to have your mind made up so I wish you good luck with surgery and recovery.

I personally would have never had the surgery at your weight but I haven't been that small since 5th grade. I am very disappointed with this surgery, I am 3 months out and it has been so depressing. I have had two stalls that lasted 4 weeks each, I've also gained weight twice. I risked my life to still be on a yo-yo diet. I know 4 people that had surgery and gained a lot back so they are back to weight watchers, diet pills, etc.

If I had the money I would hire a chef to teach me to make good tasting healthy food since it all comes down to eating right.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi to all of you out there. I had my Surgery on May 15, 2012. believe or not i have lost only 5 pounds in 7 months..

I have talked to my doctor and no explanation. i do go to the gym, i eat what i am supost to eat but i am not losing weight at all. had G I done and everything is ok, i just think that this surgery was not ment for me ????. i had the lapband done also and did not lose any weight at all.. is anyone out there in the same situation like me.. i fill very sad and depressed all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was at your exact same stats. 33 BMI with no heavy person complications like high BP, diabetes...yet. Your doctor is superb. I too was unwilling to go to Mexico as a self pay and shelled out big dollars. Worth every single penny.

So for those of you who judge us with "low BMI", please understand that carrying around an extra 70 pounds was killing me/us slowly. The pressure on my knees and other joints, the inability to hike with my DH, the inactivity, the self hatred, all of the failures at every medical WL including support groups, buying special foods, and the like. All tried and failed. I could never keep off the weight. Ever. I wailed often loathing myself for not having the will power. So, can you lose 70lbs without WLS and keep it off forever? If yes, then do it. Then keep this up until you hit goal without WLS. We are all brothers and sisters struggling to lose the weight permanently. VSG is not an easy way out, but offers a permanent tool we can use to keep the weight off.

We all understand surgeons are not perfect as iggychick outlined. VSG is a calculated risk. Sadly we are judged by our appearance. I was pretty before and am pretty at goal. Surgery was more about preventative health measures than cosmetic outcomes. But, I love the physical changes too.

So - you do what is best for you. I love my sleeve and have no regrets. Hugs!

I don't really have any words to respond to your post. I am grateful to hear your perspective. It scares the crap out of me... and one of the things I have discussed with my husband is - am I lowering my life expectancy by having this surgery. The goal is to be a healthy weight - stop killing my self with substances that aren't healthy either' date=' but at the same time - I want to be an old woman someday, and hope this doesn't shorten my time here. I know this may sound irrational lDK...

Not sure that it matters but where did you have surgery?

I will be praying for you. How are you now?

I am so sorry again.[/quote']

If I had a wish it would be that this surgery not be allowed to low BMI without comorbidities. I'd be the first to speak out for it in congress. :) Can you tell LOL You actually sound much like me prior to the surgery...killing yourself with substances that aren't healthy? Come on now, twinkies won't kill you. (I actually have never eaten one so that wouldn't be on my list but just as an example). You have a low BMI and have no issues. This is cosmetic, not about avoiding death by cupcake as you obviously haven't got that big of an issue. I say this because you sound like I did prior to surgery. Read the thread Liz is posting about visiting her hospital's er...another person who did it all right and she's been in the hospital or in horrible pain since the surgery. She hopes...HOPES, to get to suck an ice cube for Christmas. Is any cosmetic procedure worth this?

Nevermind. I do hope for the best for you and hope that what has happened to us won't be your road. I hope things work out, but I don't feel comfortable in life without answering a post like this with the truth, so I'll keep doing it.

I had my surgery in Washington state at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Know that that doesn't mean much. Research your surgeon and their assistants carefully and don't have your surgery in an outpatient clinic and you will have a better chance (though that wasn't an issue for Liz). But be careful and listen to your body afterwards so you don't have issues.

I am well now and was lucky the claw (used to fix my stomach) held. Very lucky, though I will be tested for issues with the blood for several years as well as have to watch any virus issues that could further damage my lungs for the next few years. I retained my stomach luckily but I'll never get back what I lost. I went to Alaska for a couple of days and my son asked me not to go to the doctor there because he was worried they would keep me there "forever" again. I put that fear in my son :( To look better in a pair of jeans....I hope you never have to hear a question like that in your life. I hope no one does, but if they take the risk...I hope they do it for the right reason. Best of luck.

If I had a wish it would be that this surgery not be allowed to low BMI without comorbidities. I'd be the first to speak out for it in congress. :) Can you tell LOL You actually sound much like me prior to the surgery...killing yourself with substances that aren't healthy? Come on now, twinkies won't kill you. (I actually have never eaten one so that wouldn't be on my list but just as an example). You have a low BMI and have no issues. This is cosmetic, not about avoiding death by cupcake as you obviously haven't got that big of an issue. I say this because you sound like I did prior to surgery. Read the thread Liz is posting about visiting her hospital's er...another person who did it all right and she's been in the hospital or in horrible pain since the surgery. She hopes...HOPES, to get to suck an ice cube for Christmas. Is any cosmetic procedure worth this?

Nevermind. I do hope for the best for you and hope that what has happened to us won't be your road. I hope things work out, but I don't feel comfortable in life without answering a post like this with the truth, so I'll keep doing it.

I had my surgery in Washington state at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. Know that that doesn't mean much. Research your surgeon and their assistants carefully and don't have your surgery in an outpatient clinic and you will have a better chance (though that wasn't an issue for Liz). But be careful and listen to your body afterwards so you don't have issues.

I am well now and was lucky the claw (used to fix my stomach) held. Very lucky, though I will be tested for issues with the blood for several years as well as have to watch any virus issues that could further damage my lungs for the next few years. I retained my stomach luckily but I'll never get back what I lost. I went to Alaska for a couple of days and my son asked me not to go to the doctor there because he was worried they would keep me there "forever" again. I put that fear in my son :( To look better in a pair of jeans....I hope you never have to hear a question like that in your life. I hope no one does, but if they take the risk...I hope they do it for the right reason. Best of luck.

Iggy,

First, I want to let you know I have read your story and I am so sorry about what you have gone through. I truly feel for you. No one should have to endure what you have, especially with a young child who obviously needs you so much. I can completely understand why you feel the way you do aboout this surgery for "lower" bmi people with no co-morbidities.

My bmi will likely be 32 or 33 by the time of surgery on January 18th (any prayers for me are appreciated ;-)). However, my bmi had gotten up to 37.5 just this summer. I am short at 5'2" and I found myself at 205 lbs. In the spring of 2012 I seemed to have been holding study between 190-195, so I was shocked and discouraged to be in the 200s. I am currently at 180. I have been working very hard to lose weight on my own since September. I just want to let you know my story. Like most of us on here, I have stuggled with my weight for a very long time (25+ years) -- all of my adult life and some of my childhood. From what I have read of your story, your weight battle was relatively new. In the last 10 years I have lost a significant amount of weight three times only to put it all back on and more. I really try to keep it off, but over time, I lose the intensity I had when losing and it rapidly creeps back on. It is like I'm in denial during these times.

When reading your story, I was envious of the longevity your family has. I am not so lucky. My father died at 69. He was short and built just like me. He also did lots of yo-yo dieting. He was obese, but i don't think he was morbidly obese. He had lots of heart problems. I have no memory of my aunt ever being able to walk. I only remember her being bound to a scooter because of her obesity. She passed away in her early 70s. I even had a cousin who passed away in her 50s of cancer who happened to be morbidly obese. My weight was/is really starting to scare me. I had avoided going to the doctor becuase I didn't want to hear that I was pre-diabetic or that I had high blood pressure or high cholesteral. I avoided the doctor for over 3 years. Finally, I went weighing in at 199 and I couldn't believe it -- I had a clean bill of health. All of my lab work came back good. My doctor did tell me my bmi and talked about the importance of losing some weight. I honestly felt like I had dodged a bullet. I think that maybe the fact that I get lots of exercise really helped!

It's funny because I would be lying to you if I said I didn't want to look good in skinny jeans. Of course I am excited about the prospect of looking better in (and out of) clothes. However, this is NOT my primary motivation. 10 years ago, it would have been, but my focus has really shifted from that time. My husband (who's family's longevity is similar to yours) and I have actually discussed the fact that he is likely to out live me. He is at a healthy weight. I want more than anything to be around and know my own grandchildren -- something my own father wasn't able to do.

Also, my mother, who is very protective of me, is actually for me doing this. She confided in me that whenever I am dieting she is really nervous because I always end up heavier than when I started. She is a very conservative person and I was shocked that she is supporting me in doing this. She never had a weight problem until she was in her 40s and warned me that losing weight and keeping it off is more difficult the older you get. I am in my early 40s.

Anyway, that is a glimpse of my reasoning for having this surgery. It's funny because I agree with you, that this surgery shouldn't be done just for cosmetic reasons. I also think if you haven't really attempted losing on your own, this surgery is very premature. About 5 years ago, I was seriously considering the lapband, but I kept reading about all the complications resulting from it and ultimately decided against it. I know there are risks to this surgery. Your story makes that very clear. This decision has not been an easy one for me, but I truly feel it is the right decision for me, even though my bmi is "low" at this point in time. I am very thankful that this surgery is an option for me.

Thank you for continuing to share your story. I think it is important that people understand the good and bad of this surgery. Everyone needs to be aware of the risks. I am so glad your are doing better now!