Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck on the couch with a tray table.....new hobbies.....?

So.......my surgery is on January 22nd and I couldn't be more excited. I've been thinking and dreaming about all the possibilities that my new life will bring once I'm not lugging all this extra weight around. :) I've also been planning as much as possible for my 2 week pre-op diet and the first weeks after I get my sleeve. However, one rather large aspect of my life that I desperately want to change but haven't figured out the best way how is my sedentary-ness. My husband and I work at a desk Monday through Friday from 9-5, come home (usually with chipotle), turn on the Netflix, and eat in front of the tv. Even after the food is gone we usually have so entranced ourselves with whatever tv series we've been obsessing over that we don't turn the tv off again until we go to bed. Now I'm sure that you are thinking that this is no way to live, especially for a person about to get a sleeve and has a dream to be healthy and skinny.....I completely agree. The problem is that we've been doing this for so long that when I say "no tv today, lets do something else", we can't think of anything we want to do and end up in front of the tv. I know that this boredom and laziness (not to mention the fact that whenever the tv is on I feel like I should be eating something) has been a huge contributing factor to my current weight problems but it's like I'm stuck in a rut and can't get myself up off of the couch to do anything else. My hope in writing all this is that someone somewhere in this forum has gone through the same issue that I am having and found a way out of the rut and into a life more interesting and fulfilling. If that person is you, can you please give me some tips....ideas.....suggestions for some new hobbies that I could try that would help me start living a less couch-centered life?

Start with something easy, like walking together. I still spend most of my down time in front of the computer. I'm never going to be one of these super active, workout all the time types, but I do make sure to walk more days than not.

I complete understand where you are coming from. I am either sitting in front of the computer or on the couch in front of the TV. I was sleeved on Oct. 30th. What I did was I made myself on my lunch break or 15 minute break was go outside and walk. At first it was just around the block, now I'm up to 1.5 miles in less than 30 min. I live in WI, so it's pretty chilly here right now, but I just plan for it and do it. It actually feels great and I crave it.

I still find myself once I get home from work, wanting to just sit in front of the TV... it's so easy to do... but I am constantly talking to myself... quietly LOL!!! To do something, anything... and then later on in the night I allow myself to sit and watch TV.

not sure if this will help you.. but it's what I'm doing for myself. I'm so proud of myself for getting up to 1.5 miles... we haven't gotten any snow here yet, but when it comes... not sure what I'll do but I will get in my daily walk. :)

Good Luck!!!

Take baby steps, mix it up, board games, puzzle nights, walk around the block. Once you've broken the cycle spice it up even more, walk your local zoo, try bowling, mini golf. Once you're more comfortable plan an exciting outing, take a road trip, go hiking or camping. Enjoy each other :)

Be kids again, date each other all over

Instead of buying food go bowling, walk, put put golf, ride bikes, hit the trails, join a gym, go to the mall. You don't have to have a vigorous work out just get your body moving especially since you have a desk job!

I like game nights too! If you have a Wii you could play Wii sports or fit

Then there's always sexy naked night. Lol. Sound awful for lost of us insecure about our bodies. Even at my heaviest we have tried to work a naked night in. Helps keep things fun and exciting, and learn to love our bodies. I've always been the shy one so I know if helps me to let go of Those fears 1-2x a month. Been together almost 4 years, he's seen me as a confident size 6 (for like 2 months lol) and a un confident size 20. And never ran away, instead proposed in June this year.

Number one thing it to have fun, be spontaneous. Use the guest bath (normally only room with a bath tub/shower to fit 2 people) go for a work out and come back to shower together. If you can't make life fun together, then what's the point?

My suggestion would be to join a gym and start workin out in the morning before you go to work. That way, you'll keep your metabolism revved up during the day and it might help motivate you to do some activity in the evening.

Exercise together

Sex w 30 minutes of foreplay

Board and card games

Journal

Experiment with your makeup

Go to bed an hour early am talk about he first thing that pops up. ;)

Video games. At least your hands are already busy and the can't eat.

When weather permits, walks, yard work, etc.

Walk at the mall

I sometimes do squats etc while watching tv.

I really like my tv too. My gym has the tv's on all the cardio equipment. I plan to go when there is a show I want to watch and I walk on the treadmill while I watch it. You don't have to go fast (slow walking is better than none). The time flies when I'm watching somthing I'm interested in. And I do this in the evenings (I'm not a morning person).

Thanks everyone for all your ideas and suggestions! I shared the ideas with my husband and he likes "sexy naked night" the best. lol. We're gonna make a list based on all of your wonderful comments, try all of them, and see which ones we'd like to add into our weekly routine so we're spending a lot more time being active together instead of just sitting together watching tv. Thanks guys!!