Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved January 9th and feeling blue

I am having surgery January 9th, and I feel like crying... I don't know why.

I feel disappointed in myself for letting my weight get this out of control. I can't believe that I am 18 years old about to have bariatric surgery. I am in a panic about it. I know most people are excited or nervous, but I just feel pathetic. I know it will pass and in the long run I will be glad I did it. I should be happy, because I am going to get to live like I never have before.But, right now, I feel worse about myself than I ever have.

Is this normal? Has anyone else felt this way? how long till it passes?

Hey there!

I live in Canada and I am currently on a 2-4 year wait list for surgery. (Yikes) I am 28 years old and have been battling this all my life... I wish I was as brave and strong as you to take control of my life at a younger age! Good for you! (I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting things rolling sooner.. I thought I could do it on my own and can't..)

Please don't beat yourself up because that just makes things worse. In a year from now, you are going to look back and be thankful that you took charge and made a decision that is going to allow you to live the best life possible!

You can do this! Stay strong and positive!! <3

I'm 19 and went through that thought process, my dad told me that I was taking a short cut and that if I just worked hard the weight would magically fall off but I'm done. I'm done hating my reflection, I ride horses and I'm done losing to these skinny girls with no skill, I'm done lazing around the house, I'm done with Deb and not being able wear designer clothes. I'm done being fat and so I'm ready to do this, I could care less what everyone else thinks...I'm doing this for me and I'm excited to change my life. You can do this, it's a tool not a magical fix...you still hae to do the work. Remember that and know that this isn't you giving up, this is you changing your lifestyle and doing a lot of hard work to be happy and healthy again. Get excited and get ready to feel amazing. I'm 110% excited and am done feeling sorry for myself. I'm taking this bull by the horns and conquering my weight once and for all!

I have faith in you :)

My parents both think I am lazy and making a mistake. I guess I just let it get to me sometimes. I am shocked that I went from a chubby 10 year old to a morbidly obese 18 year old. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. This is just the final straw for me. I am just feeling sorry for myself. I will get through this. One day I will feel, look, and be better than I ever imagined.

Thanks for the pep talk! That was just want I needed to get me going.

And Dreamingofhealth you WILL get here one day, too. I am sorry you have to wait, but the wait will be worth it!

My parents both think I am lazy and making a mistake. I guess I just let it get to me sometimes. I am shocked that I went from a chubby 10 year old to a morbidly obese 18 year old. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. This is just the final straw for me. I am just feeling sorry for myself. I will get through this. One day I will feel, look, and be better than I ever imagined.

Thanks for the pep talk! That was just want I needed to get me going.

And Dreamingofhealth you WILL get here one day, too. I am sorry you have to wait, but the wait will be worth it!

There aren't many of us youngins on here so we should keep up with each other! My two biggest fears are sagging skin and hair loss so I bought a Hair growth treatment that my long time stylist reccomended and she says it will keep my hair from thinning so that relieves that worry. Onto the sagging skin, I'm 260 and 5'3 and want to drop over 130 lbs so it is a legit concern. Luckily for us, we are young and our skin bounce back and stays tight so if we work out we may be able to get away with little to no sagging skin. Here's to hoping right? If you need any advice or a pep talk shoot me a message I'm always cheery and love to help! Good luck, I'm in 6 days!

So I'm 46, and scheduled for surgery in February. I can't know, but I wonder what my life would be like now if I hadn't gained the weight I did. I'm not married, and I have no children. I'm sure there are job opportunities that I've been denied because of my appearance. Don't get me wrong, however; for the most part I'm content with who I am and have a very successful career.

So, certainly, losing weight will not magically make my/your life better. But the important thing to realize, is one big obstacle to living your life well will be removed, and hopefully the other obstacles can be overcome. I'm shy, and I think I use the weight as a justification/excuse for not being more social. Once that excuse is gone, I think there will be some underlying issues that I'll have to address to move on to the "new" me. Good Luck.

Girl, I can totally relate to what you are going through. I made those same judgements about myself. My surgery is two weeks away and even though I am calm about it now, I feel as if I'm going to breakdown right before. Then I realized that forgiving yourself is the only way to move on with this process. Even to this day I think about I dont need to do this and blah blah blah, I am doing this because I want something better for myself. You are thinking the sameway or you wouldn't be going through this. This is not something we "did" to ourselves, it happened and being the strong woman are taking it on head strong by having this surgery. If you wern't strong, you'd be in denial and not having the surgery. In the end you have to do what makes YOU happy and health despite what are parents think.

I second guessed myself all the way through rolling myself into the operating room. I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't had some sort of second thoughts about it.

I second guessed myself all the way through rolling myself into the operating room. I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't had some sort of second thoughts about it.

I thought I was the only one that did that!