Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol over Xmas 1 week post op?

Do you think it will be possible to have a little alcohol over the holiday period. I have my op on the 19 Dec.

No

Do you think it will be possible to have a little alcohol over the holiday period. I have my op on the 19 Dec.

Hell no. Your stomach is still waaaaay too tender to handle such a harsh drink. I'm 16 days post op and drank some Water with a lemon. Hurts like a b*tch. Ask your surgeon if you can.

I went to a holiday party a few days ago and stayed sober. It sucked but you don't want to play with your sleeve while its still able to get a leak, ulcer, or an infection

Not a smart idea. You'll have many Xmas' in the future to enjoy with alcohol. Skipping the drink this year won't hurt you.

definitely don't do it! I would think it would burn so bad, especially if your stomach is being held together by staples or sutures!

my surgeon said no alcohol for at least 6 months. I've heard others say 1 year.

I don't think so...

Nope. At one week post op alcohol was the last thing on my mind.

Really? I love to drink but I said once I get sleeved, I don't care what's happing I will not drink ANY alcohol. Why ? Because it slows weight loss, Xmas is to early to party. But good luck with your choices...

Ok chaps thanks for advice I guess it's a no then. Just though I'd ask the Q, interesting to hear some say 6-12 months before drinking I hadn't been told that.

I did at about 2 and a half weeks but kept it very mild. At a week seems a bit too early.

I tried a sip of wine about 4 weeks out and it hurt so bad. Burned like crazy. I waited 3 months out to try again. You probably won't feel much like drinking that close to surgery.

Your question to me raises several other questions... such as... has your Dr. not given you any post surgery guidelines to follow? If so, have you not read them? or do you just not believe them? Was there no class that you had to addend that talks about post op care and nutrition? Because I know personally that the answer for me would have been clear with everything that I received and was told from my Dr's office. If your Dr did not provide such basic information then I would seriously question having them do the surgery. I personally want a Dr who cares about my success. If the answer is that you received the information but felt that a drink is that important over the "holiday season" that you would want to go against his orders, then I seriously question if you are ready for the surgery. If a drink 1 week post op is important, then will a few pieces of candy sound appealing and resonable at week 3? I hope you take some time to consider these things before your surgery later this month. We all want you to be successful... just as we have been successful... but you need to be prepared for this change in your life and understand the changes that you will need to make to make it a success.

I was sleeved Monday, so today is day 3 healing. Trust me, the pain and nausea you go through, you will not even begin to kick around the idea of alcohol. I say take you pain meds and carry a champagne glass of Water around. You'll be giddy from not feeling pain and can sip the water and no one will be the wiser