Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depo shot after the sleeve

I have an appt. in the morning to get a depo shot but was wondering if it will cause weight gain or a stall? Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind would you recommend?

Thank you!

DON'T DO IT! I was on it for 1 1/2 years and gained 10 lbs. with every shot and couldn't lose it. I put 60 lbs. on and then was stuck there for 10+ years, which is exactly why I'm having this surgery. I know everyone is different, but the depo shot has a reputation of huge weight gains. I wouldn't do it!

I took a hormone shot after my surgery and I stalled for 3 weeks which was long enough to start getting the hormones out of the body. So needless to say Is topped taking my hormone shot.

Have you had a kid? if so maybe the IUD would be a good match for you. I love mine.

I love my mirena. And it is good for 5 years. Helps with the monthly cramps too.

I did depo shots for 1 1/2 years and gained at least 50 lbs. I took them for medical reasons. If you have other options, look at them.

I'll be doing the mirena when I get the okay from my dr. Hurts like a b*tch to have it put in But it's effective!

I'm a former Depo user and I'd never do it again! In addition to the weight gain I had fertility issues that several doctors said was related to prolonged Depo use. This surgery is a terrific tool and those shots have a long and notorious history for causing women to gain extreme amounts of weight. In my opinion, the risk is too great. Definitely ask about an IUD or some other form of birth control!

Don't do it ..... i was on it for 2 years and gained 50lbs over that time. Not to mention bleeding constantly. It's so unnatural to not have a period. The iud has worked best for me even though I was the 1% to fall pregnant after 2 years!!! Got it again after bubs was born as only contraception I have not gained weight with!! Everyone is different though so it may be the best thing for you :)

Good idea ladies...I don't have insurance so how much is an IUD? Are they all painful?

Try going to planned parenthood. They're free/low cost.

The mirena hurts. I've never had kids and they dilate your cervix to put it in. The dilation part is what is killer. They do give you some pain shots though.

It is worth it in the long run. Protection 24/7, light/no period.

I'm waiting to get mine back in. I'll take more protection with pain over a chance of missing a pill any day.

Nuva ring isn't that bad either. 3 weeks left inside you, 1 week out. Like the pill but you don't need to take it every day. Your partner may or may not feel the ring.

I decided against the depo shot due to the potential for weight gain and possible issues with getting pregnant after stopping. I'm getting the Mirena IUD very soon, my gyno estimated the cost to be $800-900, but it's good for 5 years. Hoping it's a good choice, looking to avoid for another 2ish years.

I NEVER had a weight problem until I got on depo. I had 2 shots total and went from a healthy 140 to 188! It made me so hungry all the time. I ate like a normal person when I was 140 and I continued to do the same thing with depo and the pounds just packed on. I probably wouldn't of been in the situation of needing surgery if it wasn't for the shot. I personally would never get the shot again and I do not recommend it for anyone, especially if you have a weight problem. I'm so thankful my husband got a vasectomy so that I don't have to worry about hormones :)

DON'T DO IT! I was on it for 1 1/2 years and gained 10 lbs. with every shot and couldn't lose it. I put 60 lbs. on and then was stuck there for 10+ years' date=' which is exactly why I'm having this surgery. I know everyone is different, but the depo shot has a reputation of huge weight gains. I wouldn't do it![/quote']

same here!! Everyone I know that has got the depo has experienced the same thing! I don't know why it's still on the market ugh

Sent from my iPhone using VST