Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I was sleeved July 4 and have lost nearly 66 lbs. I feel great, had no issues with adjusting to the small portions or hunger problems at all. Only thing is that I can't eat meat as I used to and because of this I have decreased my Protein intake drastically. My doctor has me on Protein Shakes and I an taking Vitamins and supplements, but my hair keeps falling off - A LOT!! It's scary to see how much hair I've lost. I am seriously afraid of really going bald... Kind of desperate really. Any suggestions or words of advice?

Do a search on here and you'll find some pretty interesting hair regimes. Some swear by them, others say it's inevitable.

I was sleeved in August. My whole life i've been blessed w long thick blonde hair. I'm 51 and not a grey hair on my head. Last month my hair started falling out like crazy. The final straw was when it kept getting in my food. Last friday i went and got it all chopped off. Super short. I love it. But what's weird is that it stopped falling out!! I have no idea why. But it looks healthy, albeit much thinner. So maybe cutting your hair and 'starting over' may be an option too? Good luck!

I'm one of the b@st@rds that tells everyone it's inevitable :)

This is a natural result from the massive reduction in caloric intake, your body is basically going into a type of shock and cutting off some of the non essential energy expenditures - like growing hair and even nails. In fact in a few months you may notice that your finger and toe nails may develop a ridge where they stopped growing for a while. This is natural and pretty much unavoidable.

There are some supplements that people pay a lot of money for but I sincerely think it is just the passage of time that matters and their hair would of been in the same shape as if they skipped the supplements and just waited.

The supplements are taken in pretty heavy dosages and that's why I am loath to suggest them, piling so much on to your digestive system at this state MAY lead to issues beyond just losing your hair. I am all for taking a Vitamin, Iron if you need it B Vitamins if you need them and little else. I've often said, we here in the first world have the most expensive urine on the planet - because that's where MOST of these supplements we take end up - in your pee.

So sorry to hear about your Hair loss. May I ask why you can't eat meat? Is it because it is to tough? I suggest using your crock pot. I put all of my meats in a crock pot and they are cooked wonderfully soft and delicious! chicken thighs, ground turkey/chicken. Try cottage cheese very high in Protein. Fish also is very high and low calories.

So sorry to hear about your hair loss. May I ask why you can't eat meat? Is it because it is to tough? I suggest using your crock pot. I put all of my meats in a crock pot and they are cooked wonderfully soft and delicious! chicken thighs' date=' ground turkey/chicken. Try cottage cheese very high in Protein. Fish also is very high and low calories.[/quote']

It's mostly red meat that I find a little harder to digest. I just feel really bloated after a few bites and since my portions are really small, I'd rather eat stuff that doesn't feel super heavy and uncomfortable in my stomach. I can do chicken and fish, but again, in very small portions. So I guess it's just the way it is really, huh?

I feel great and just hope that I don't lose ALL my hair. Hope it's really just a matter of time before it grows back or at the very least, stops falling off.

Hey Sil,

I find that I still have to have one Protein Shake a day to get all my Protein every day. I eat two ounces of my protein at each meal and one snack a day. I then normally am around 70-80 grams a day.

I'm a guy so obviously im in a completely different boat here, but I am semi looking forward to it! I know right? Im 26 and have been balding on top for several years now, but because of my weight I was too afraid to buzz it down. Now I will be slimmer with even less hair and it will be time for a change!

Donny- i think thats a great idea!!

I personally love a man with super short hair or none at all. LOVE it!! Don't get me started!!! Woof!

I personally love a man with super short hair or none at all. LOVE it!! Don't get me started!!! Woof!

Haha! I'm just worried about the bright white dome because I'm tan

Sil - I can't tell if you're a man or a woman. If you're a man - just Bic that dome! (see below). Woman - gee, I feel for ya! Is a wig an option?

Haha! I'm just worried about the bright white dome because I'm tan

Donny - as a guy who started balding in my early to mid 20's, I started with buzzing my hair down to a #2 or #4 clipper, then about 2 years ago - inspired by a coworker - I went all in and started shaving it off. I wish I'd done it sooner. The whiteness contrast will go away in a week or two. Starting in winter, you will notice a significant temperature difference; I was amazed the difference between bald and #2... crazy! The cold isn't an issue now.

Bic that dome! Own it!!

See my recommendations (Reco-Man-Dation) here.

Sil - I can't tell if you're a man or a woman. If you're a man - just Bic that dome! (see below). Woman - gee' date=' I feel for ya! Is a wig an option?

Donny - as a guy who started balding in my early to mid 20's, I started with buzzing my hair down to a #2 or #4 clipper, then about 2 years ago - inspired by a coworker - I went all in and started shaving it off. I wish I'd done it sooner. The whiteness contrast will go away in a week or two. Starting in winter, you will notice a significant temperature difference; I was amazed the difference between bald and #2... crazy! The cold isn't an issue now.

Bic that dome! Own it!!

See my recommendations (Reco-Man-Dation) here.

I'm a woman. I had my hair cut a lot shorter already, but that hasn't helped much. People say I look fine, but I notice a huge, huge difference. This has been the only downside to my surgery...

I should have added to my post earlier.... 3 years ago I developed a cardiomyopathy, and about 3 months later, my hair started to fall out. BUT-- It grew back. I got it cut short ( I actually thought about shaving it all off, but then Britney Spears did it and I didn't want people mistaking me for her... LOL) and yeah, it was thin, but it grew back.. I think it grew back thicker. Anyways, I think Hair loss is a small price to pay for getting to a healthy weight.

I always think about those girls on ANTM who cry because they have to get their hair cut.... its all on the road to something better... now, getting back to those men with shaved heads..... yummy...