Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When To Say Something At Work...

i have a 5 month wait due to insurance regulations of making me document weight loss efforts in consecutive months with an insurance-sponsored nutritionist...that's ok, it will take me to spring and a NEW beginning for everything!

i'm just not sure when to say something at work???i'm a private person. i don't need questions, opinions, etc. i really would just LOVE to keep quiet until the day before. but, i can't. in my job, i do a service that will need to be covered by another staff member while i'm off so it will need to be planned for. realistically, i would NEED to say something about 2-3 months ahead of time. from a courtesy standpoint, when should i say anything? i REALLY don't want this getting out too much too soon...thoughts???

I just told my work I was having surgery... You don't have to tell them what kind of surgery and I don't believe they are allowed to even ask...

Calebsmommy is right, all you have to say is that you are having surgery. HR and your manager are not allowed to share information with anyone else. It really doesn't matter what type of surgery you are having.

Those guys are right. It's your private business and you can keep it to yourself. For me, I just wanted to be transparent and stop my rapid weight loss from turning into my 'dirty little secret' ongoing. I've been amazed how almost all of the people at work are supportive. Others have not said anything, so I don't know what their opinions are but frankly, I don't care!

There is no shame in what I've done. I've had a heath issue that I have battled with for years and I'm tackling it head on.

That's the way I dealt with it and it worked for me. But the guys are also right, you are entitled to your privacy.

Good luck,

Deano

2 months out would be enough time. My boss knows what's up. I understand you're a private person but if your surgery causes someone else to do your job you should give them 1-2 month notice. I initially didn't tell my Chief what my surgery actual will be. Eventually I told him. Everyone would kind of notice me rapidly loosing weight. Don't want negative rooms going around.

i would NEED to say something about 2-3 months ahead of time when should i say anything?

NurseMom

WELCOME -i see you just "hopped" on the sleeve board 11/26 :)

good thought getting a head start - coming to this board before WLS, ask your questions and you'll be more prepared for WLS :)

I agree that your supervisor/work has no right to ask you what kindof surgery - HIPPA

since work does need to get coverage for your job - you telling supervisor a couple of months prior to WLS is out of "courtesy" but also necessaty, (msp)

so employer isn't left holding the bag :o - then maybe give you the bag/ door since you are telling about surgery too late :angry:

as far as telling co-workers/anyone about WLS - only do it when you feel its right for you. you don't have to tell aquaintances et al months ahead of time if you don't feel right about doing so

after surgery, yes you will be losing the weight, you might chose to tell them you had WLS

constant discussion of what sleevers should tell other people - you could point blank say you are having or had WLS -

or stay mum til you are comfortable - then you can say you had the surgery - or you've been exercising, watching what and how much you eat -all these are true statements

it is nobodies business........but questions my come up :(

again, this is an ongoing discussion with many different responses - each one of the answers is "correct", because its all up to the individual

btw spring is the best time to have WLS

unless you are scheduled for winter, or fall, or summer, :lol:

whenever you have WLS - is the best time to start your new life :)

happy WLS

good luck

speedy recovery

I went through the same thing at work , I didnt tell anyone what type of surgery because I am not close to anyone just co workers , I told them that I had to take out my gallstones ...... you will need at least 1 - 2 weeks off.... I did really well with surgery and only stayed 2 days in the hospital .... the pain wasnt to bad .............................. But I felt very weak and tierd.

Im having surgery in feb and have already told coworkers just bc im open like that. I was shocked how supportive they were!!! They ask me how my progress is going with pre req appts and such. You might be surprised when you tell them!

I let my boss know right away what was going on because I too had a 6 month waiting period for my insurance so I was having to go to numerous appointments. Everyone else just knew I was going to be gone for a few weeks. When they asked what I was doing I told them I was going to be hanging out at home. Totally the truth. I would talk with your supervisor though so that you can arrange for a fill in

I had the 6 month wait, as well. My surgery is scheduled for 12/27. As soon as I had a tentative dae, I told them I'd be out for surgery for 2 weeks.