Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long After Surgery Did You Wake Up?

I've never been put under before. I have just one c-section under my belt in terms of surgery, so this is all foreign territory to me.

I know surgery is fairly quick, but are you still out for awhile afterward?

recovery time for me was 2 hours

They woke me up in the recovery room and I barely remember that. That was the worst that I felt throughout this whole procedure, actually, and I think it was mostly because I was so cold and shaky. I fell back to sleep and I remember my husband getting on the elevator with me and then I fell asleep again. I don't remember them transferring me into the bed in my room at all. I woke up on and off but wasn't really fully awake for about 5 or 6 hours after the surgery. I could still fall asleep pretty easily, but I could make myself stay awake, which I couldn't do right away post-op.

You will be tired and groggy from the anesthetic for a while after the surgery, but take advantage of it and get your rest that first day!

I woke up after 5hrs, I was already in my room and I dont remember a thing at all.

I remember nothing until 6 hours after surgery. Evidently I was speaking coherently in the recovery room and with my wife when I got back to my room, but I don't remember a thing. :-)

Lucky8mb1

"how long after surgery did you wake up?"

holy moly girlfriend - i'm still not awake :lol: sorry kiddo, couldn't resist!!!

my surgery lasted about 90 minutes

was in room after a couple of hours in recovery

very groggy for a few hours, slept, did get up to walk - very important, helps get rid of gas you possibly/probably might have.

i see you have WLS on 12/10/12 - only about one week to go!!!! I know your nervous, scared, all normal feelings - its ok, but.............

take it slow after WLS - you have gone through major tummy surgery - be calm, rest, things will gradually happen and get better

you will start to drink more and more, and continue/start your long wonderful journey into sleeveland

everyone reacts to anesthesia differently (you'll learn all sleevers act differently to weight loss, time period to weight amount and lots of other things

the one thing we all have in common is that we are all different :)

after WLS you will be starting your brand new life of health and happiness :)

btw - you had a c-section, had some pain - look at the great life time results you have - you'll get those wonderful results with the sleeve too as long as you follow the sleeve 101 handbook :huh:

also, i see you have diabetes, many people get rid of or improve their diabetes status - wish you the best with that

since WLS 12/15/11 no more diabetes meds/insulin for me :) (high blood pressure and CPAP gone too)

WooHoo

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

see you around the block ;)

I was originally told that after surgery once I was walking and able to keep Water down I could go home that day, and that was my plan. But I had a hard time waking up after my surgery so I ended up having to stay overnight and was released to go home the next day after lunch, after the dr saw me.

and I was told that my surgery would take about 45 minutes but it ended up taking 2 hours.

My surg was an hour. I woke up in my regular room 3 1/2 hrs later.

I woke up right away. Was awake all the way to my room

After surgery I remember waking up in a room with several beds (probably about 15 total). I remember not feeling to well and the nurses trying to find the right pain meds to help me feel comfortable. Once the meds kicked in and I was feeling better I remember them wheeling me back to my room and I slept a lot but I probably woke up enough to keep hitting the morphine button every 7 mins. I seem to remember a lot more than my friends. Even after they gave me the calming meds before surgery I still remember everything after that and being wheeled into the operating room and chatting with a resident. I remember getting onto the OR bed and them putting the mask on my face. It wasn't scary at all because the meds did take the edge off when it came to anxiety.

I woke up after 2 hours in the recovery room after a 45 minute procedure and was wheeled to ICU for breathing trouble. I spent 2 days there and then another 3 in hospital room. I don't really remember much of first day in ICU.

The first thing I remember after surgery (Versed is great at causing amnesia so I could have been awake much earlier than this) was wakeing up in recovery room just before they took me back to my room and the nurse saying " your O2 saturation seems to be ok now so we are going to take you back to your room." I was so weak I felt like I couldn't even open my eyes. When I get back to my room I find out I was in recovery for 4 1/2 hours! I still felt very weak (ie not able to move my hand) for several hours after surgery. Since this is not a typical reaction I intend to get a copy of my record and see what happened I recovery... Who knows, maybe I had a reaction to the muscle relaxants or I am just a light weight LOL

Lucky8mb1

"how long after surgery did you wake up?"

holy moly girlfriend - i'm still not awake :lol: sorry kiddo' date=' couldn't resist!!!

my surgery lasted about 90 minutes

was in room after a couple of hours in recovery

very groggy for a few hours, slept, did get up to walk - very important, helps get rid of gas you possibly/probably might have.

i see you have WLS on 12/10/12 - only about one week to go!!!! I know your nervous, scared, all normal feelings - its ok, but.............

take it slow after WLS - you have gone through major tummy surgery - be calm, rest, things will gradually happen and get better

you will start to drink more and more, and continue/start your long wonderful journey into sleeveland

everyone reacts to anesthesia differently (you'll learn all sleevers act differently to weight loss, time period to weight amount and lots of other things

the one thing we all have in common is that we are all different :)

after WLS you will be starting your brand new life of health and happiness :)

btw - you had a c-section, had some pain - look at the great life time results you have - you'll get those wonderful results with the sleeve too as long as you follow the sleeve 101 handbook :huh:

also, i see you have diabetes, many people get rid of or improve their diabetes status - wish you the best with that

since WLS 12/15/11 no more diabetes meds/insulin for me :) (high blood pressure and CPAP gone too)

WooHoo

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

see you around the block ;) [/quote']

I'm on the 10th also,thanks for this; really good info :)

My surgeon requires at least a 1 night stay in the hospital. I had pre-op today; OOOH it's really starting to

sink in and become REAL to me now. The butterflies are starting up...