Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods Did You Have To Give Up-Can't Eat Any Longer?

obviously post op, my diet will be controlled by portion and type (protein, Protein, protein!)...BUT...eventually, I will be able to be a bit more liberal with diet. So, what foods did you LOVE pre-op that you CAN'T eat post-op, because of physical inability, or nausea/vomiting, etc??? More curious than anything...

I'm week 10 post op and I'm still trying new things. I have had very bad experiences with anything that has much fat in it. I took a bite of the fried crust from fish and chips and two fries and felt bad for hours. I ate a few bites of chocolate cheesecake and felt really sick. For some reason pineapple doesn't sit well, nor do boiled turnips. I don't have any trouble with bread, but I don't eat it because I just don't crave it much anymore and would rather eat "real" food. Right now my favorite things to eat are chicken, yogurt and cheese.

My surgeon said he wanted me off of Protein shakes by Jan. 1 and only eating food. That is freaking me out just a little.

Nothing

awesome to above!!! i'm hoping that although portions will be smaller, i'll eventually be able to go to my favorite pizza place and still sit down to a nice Pasta dinner now and again...

yep, same I have given up nothing!

Really greasy foods

Soft white bread

Raw onions

Lettuce

Really spicy foods (miss my chili so much!)

So, looking at the above list, two all-American favorites are out:

Hamburgers (on Buns with the works)

Chili dogs

Having divulged the short list, allow me to say I don't really care about it! I am skinny!!!!

Just remember at good Protein to carb ratio is 2 to 1. You should have 80 grams of protein so that means no more than 40 grams of carbs per day. Be careful of the pastas, breads and those hidden carbs like fruits. Look it up a normal sized apple has 20 grams of carbs. A good thing that has helped me is our plate should be the size of a dessert plate. Cut that in half, one half is protein. The other half, cut in half and one of those is carbs the other is veggies. My cousin who went thru this 2 years ago put it this way: you go out for a steak dinner, you have 3 bites of steak and a forkful or two of baked potato and a forkful or two veggies and your done, take the rest home. Good Luck

I can eat anything but there are some things I need to be careful of-broccoli stems are really fibrous and make me sick but the floret parts are fine. chicken needs extra moisture--gravy, cranberry sauce, ketchup. Other than those two, no problems.

Really nothing, just moderation but I live in Texas so flour tortillas where almost a daily thing and they just sit real heavy so if I do have them its a bite or two. I can't eat a whole one anymore, not a good feeling. I can do corn chips- crispy shell tacos.

Hard boiled eggs, and I used to love them. Pasta gives me a too full feeling even just a little, so I avoid it.

Any kind of potato preparation other than mashed has been the cause of my vomiting probably 9/10 times since surgery. I've finally learned and stopped bothering with them altogether.

Nothing disagrees with me at all, and I have not put anything on the "off limits forever" list. That said- if I indulge in certain foods, they have to be eaten more slowly, and obviously, smaller amounts to avoid a dumping-like effect. (rich foods) Still being in weight loss mode though, it is not always in my best interest to mess around with delicious bits, but it helps to have some tastes so I don't go crazy.

I can eat anything I want, I work hard on choosing healthy foods for the most part. I am a sugar addict and I am struggling with this at the moment. I eat a lot less now though.... :)

Dense foods such as steak require real concentration on my part. Chew, chew, chew, and don't eat too much or to the bathroom I must run. It takes some of the charm out of good food to see it the second time. :angry:

I find that I don't really like the consistency of a milkshake or smoothie (healthy or indulgent) anymore...weird, because I've had ice cream and been fine (can only eat a little before it starts to sit "funny" though) I think it's the frothyness that kinda grosses me out now...other than that, I stay away from most bread because it's just so fluffy and takes up much-needed Protein space ;) A little toast or a multigrain cracker or melba toast is fine. I don't miss big hamburger Buns or breadsticks. I agree with others that chewing is a big factor and something I have to make sure I'm aware of, especially with meats.< /p>