Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is 1-11 with Dr Ortiz.... Im sooo fricken excited and soooo fricken scared lol! Im glad to hear of good experiences at the hospital!

Nope! : )

Does Dr. Lopez to a spinal to numb you?

I kept hopping around from surgeon to surgeon, and I finally just had to narrow it down and pick one. If you have been on these forums for a little while you will notice certain doctors get popular for a while then it dies down, then another doctor will get popular for a while. When I was doing my research I had to exclude Aceves and Alavarez due to my finances. I just can't afford to go to them, even though I've heard wonderful things about them. I read a few negative things on Dr. Almanza at that time, and all that coordinator drama was going on with Dr. Kelly and that death or whatever so I kind of ruled them out for me. Not saying they aren't good surgeons, I'm just scared to death as it is and any time I hear something negative it just turns me away from the surgeon because I'm that terrified. So, that left Lopez and Osuna, Garcia, Dr. Ariel Ortiz, and Ponce. I tried contacting Trish, but never got a reply from her so I started researching other surgeons. I kept going back to Dr. Ortiz, but I didn't think I could come up with the funds for him either even though he is cheaper than Aceves and Alvarez, and he's in a center of excellence. He's done a few sleeves, but he was mainly the go to doc for the Lapband and now he's pushing plication. I absolutely don't want plication surgery, so I felt like I needed to go with a surgeon that was more experienced in sleeves. That narrowed it down to Lopez or Garcia. At the time I was researching the docs, a few people who went with Garcia complained about infections in the incisions but nothing too awful. I've mainly heard great things on him! I decided on Dr. Lopez/Osuna because I've never read one bad comment on him. Plus, there's 2 surgeons instead of one! His price is reasonable and he's done over 3,000 sleeves. I'm going through alighterme and scheduled for March 11th! I'm still terrified, but I'm ready to do this! :)

I was sleeved Nov 3rd by Dr. Lopez. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about my entire experience, and I think taht ALighterMe was a huge part of that as well. I took my mom with me (I'm not sure I had a choice, lol) and she was so worried about me, she refused to leave my side the entire time, and waited nervously while I was in surgery. Abraham and Eduardo were so caring toward her, they brought her food, and Eduardo stayed wiith her while I was in surgery. They did this WITHOUT even asking, they were just great wonderful caring people!! The Marriott was great, I was there the night before the surgery, and you are given complimentary chicken broth and popsicles. You have to pay for Jello, but the jello was delicious and worth it! I stayed 2 nights in the hospital, my mother and I had our own room it had a small TV in it. The wifi was great in both the hotel and hospital. After my hospital stay, I had 2 nights in the Marriott, and we were checked on regularly. Dr. Ortiz (who assisted on my surgery) came the night before I left and took out my drain. I was given the personal numbers of Eduardo and Abraham, they picked up right away everytime I called. The nurses were helpful, I was never in pain, I was given pain meds, and antibiotics when I left the hospital along with a copy of my flouro scope. I think the care I recieved was top notch, and I am doing great now. The weight loss is so easy, in fact I went on vacation to Las Vegas for 10 days only 8 days after my surgery, and I certainly didn't stay in my room the entire time!! My recovery was great, and I'm still in contact with Ronda and Janese both. These ladies are great and really care about everyone. I can tell you I was super nervous, but it was all for not, my experience has been great and I'd do it over a million times! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love to be a resource and share what I've learned on my short journey so far. I wish you all the BEST of luck, and can't wait for you all to join me on the losers bench!

Thanks for the info 920amy I go to doctor Lopez on the 5th and I'm so nervous but very ready. I'm coming from Las Vegas . Can wait to see that looser bench !!!!

Jesser, lol! He is though, and he knows it too! Abraham is older, but not bad on the eyes either, and Dr. Lopez and Ortiz are both surprisingly young, and handsome as well! It was nice to have some eye candy ;)

Lol right! They all seem ridiculously good looking.

Works for me! ;-)

Amanda Rae

I was sleeved Nov 3rd by Dr. Lopez. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about my entire experience, and I think taht ALighterMe was a huge part of that as well. I took my mom with me (I'm not sure I had a choice, lol) and she was so worried about me, she refused to leave my side the entire time, and waited nervously while I was in surgery. Abraham and Eduardo were so caring toward her, they brought her food, and Eduardo stayed wiith her while I was in surgery. They did this WITHOUT even asking, they were just great wonderful caring people!! The Marriott was great, I was there the night before the surgery, and you are given complimentary chicken broth and popsicles. You have to pay for Jello, but the jello was delicious and worth it! I stayed 2 nights in the hospital, my mother and I had our own room it had a small TV in it. The wifi was great in both the hotel and hospital. After my hospital stay, I had 2 nights in the Marriott, and we were checked on regularly. Dr. Ortiz (who assisted on my surgery) came the night before I left and took out my drain. I was given the personal numbers of Eduardo and Abraham, they picked up right away everytime I called. The nurses were helpful, I was never in pain, I was given pain meds, and antibiotics when I left the hospital along with a copy of my flouro scope. I think the care I recieved was top notch, and I am doing great now. The weight loss is so easy, in fact I went on vacation to Las Vegas for 10 days only 8 days after my surgery, and I certainly didn't stay in my room the entire time!! My recovery was great, and I'm still in contact with Ronda and Janese both. These ladies are great and really care about everyone. I can tell you I was super nervous, but it was all for not, my experience has been great and I'd do it over a million times! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love to be a resource and share what I've learned on my short journey so far. I wish you all the BEST of luck, and can't wait for you all to join me on the losers bench!

Thank you for sharing im having my sx in feb with Dr lopez

I was sleeved Nov 3rd by Dr. Lopez. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about my entire experience' date=' and I think taht ALighterMe was a huge part of that as well. I took my mom with me (I'm not sure I had a choice, lol) and she was so worried about me, she refused to leave my side the entire time, and waited nervously while I was in surgery. Abraham and Eduardo were so caring toward her, they brought her food, and Eduardo stayed wiith her while I was in surgery. They did this WITHOUT even asking, they were just great wonderful caring people!! The Marriott was great, I was there the night before the surgery, and you are given complimentary chicken broth and popsicles. You have to pay for Jello, but the Jello was delicious and worth it! I stayed 2 nights in the hospital, my mother and I had our own room it had a small TV in it. The wifi was great in both the hotel and hospital. After my hospital stay, I had 2 nights in the Marriott, and we were checked on regularly. Dr. Ortiz (who assisted on my surgery) came the night before I left and took out my drain. I was given the personal numbers of Eduardo and Abraham, they picked up right away everytime I called. The nurses were helpful, I was never in pain, I was given pain meds, and antibiotics when I left the hospital along with a copy of my flouro scope. I think the care I recieved was top notch, and I am doing great now. The weight loss is so easy, in fact I went on vacation to Las Vegas for 10 days only 8 days after my surgery, and I certainly didn't stay in my room the entire time!! My recovery was great, and I'm still in contact with Ronda and Janese both. These ladies are great and really care about everyone. I can tell you I was super nervous, but it was all for not, my experience has been great and I'd do it over a million times! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love to be a resource and share what I've learned on my short journey so far. I wish you all the BEST of luck, and can't wait for you all to join me on the losers bench![/quote']

Hi 920 Amy

Thank you for sharing .. My daughter and I are scheduled with Dr. Lopez on dec 13 in Tj Mexico My pre op instructions are to follow pre op diet 7-14 days prior to surgery, how many days pre op diet did you do? And what Protein shakes did you use ? My height is 5'4" and weight is 218lbs.. So not sure if the pre op diet takes in consideration for each persons weight. I have soo many questions and fears !!!

Thanks Jackie

Jcool,

I actually did the pre-op for 1 month prior to the surgery. I am 5'2" and my starting weight was 265. I was terrified my liver would not shrink enough. Also, once I booked my surgery, I knew if I didn't start the pre-op ASAP I would probably eat myself into more weight gain out of nervousness/anxiety before the surgery. I still had some 'cheat' meals. My last big meal before I started the Clear liquids only was sashimi and I even had some mochi (japanese rice cake dessert). I weighed 148.5 the morning of surgery. I had no complications, so I was really relived. When I did the pre-op diet, I did isogenix. I don't do them anymore, because they are 250 calories per shake, but I followed the isogenix program completely for the month of pre op, 2 shakes a day and one meal with grean veggies and lean Protein. It was easier to follow than I anticipated. The 3 days of Clear Liquids only I thought I would claw someones eyes out, lol, but it was over fast enough. Now that I am post op, I am drinking a variety of shakes. On this forum, under diet and nutrition, protien shakes, there are some forums about protien shakes and where to buy 'samples' I bought about 100+ different samples, and each day I have 2 different ones. I have a notebook I write down the name of each sample, and make notes about it. When I am done with all the samples, I will go back and review all of my notes and then order the powders I think taste best. I am doing it this way because I have read a lot of people who go and buy tubs of Protein powders (which cost 40 to 60 each) and then don't like them. When I was on clear liquids immediately after surgery, I drank Isopure premixed drinks. They are interesting. My best way to describe them is they taste like bitter koolaide at first, and the after taste is like skim milk. They were not gross, they just weren't incredibly good, lol. They were 40 grams of protien each though. The main thing I focused on after surgery was getting my liquids in. I didn't want to get dehydrated, and yes, it was tough being sure I drank 64 oz of liquid a day. You can only sip at first. I am not quite 1 month out now, and can drink fairly normally again, but I certainly can't gulp anything down. Message me anytime with any questions! I am so glad I can be a resource and help! I am excited for you and your daughter!

How is everyone sleeved thru Dr. Lopez or Dr. Ortiz doing this new year?

Amanda Rae

Great. Sleeved 11-16-12 and down 42 lbs! : )