Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, Vomiting Yellow Bile With Traces Of Bright Red Blood

I know it is the jumping off place for all of us in our community to blame ye olde gallbladder but I did get it checked out and its fine.

Well THAT'S a relief... since chances are you didn't have 30K sitting around to pay for gallbladder removal... So don't keep us in suspense, What was the issue?

I still don't know what the problem is, I'm scared that it is a partial intestinal obstruction.

And about 30 minutes after I eat I get pinching pains in my stomach pouch area. I am able to have successful BMs.

I know you're two years post op but begin taking a ppi/ acid reducer again...take for at least 1 month.

Also, increase your Water intake. Drink 64oz minimum and start a daily regimen of a dose of Miralax and 8oz of fluids each morning.

Hopefully you can speak with your surgeon and obtain his suggestions.

I hope everything resolves.

Let us know how you're doing...

Blood is probably from the acid and throwing up like the earlier poster suggested take acid reducing meds before you go to get it will definitely help out. Also try not to eat 2 hours before going to bed. If you had an obstruction you would be in lots of pain and have a fever for sure.

Acid reducers before going to bed..

I have never stopped taking my acid reducers, I take a Prevacid almost every singly day and have since surgery.

Might have some ulcerations going on might want to reduce acidy foods ie coffe Tomato based foods and see if it improves.. Just a thought.

My doctor told me if I vomit, come in right away. Of course in not 2 years out. Do you have a rapid heart beat or fever? That's another sign something is going on.

I copied some information from Livestrong that might be helpful. Try drastically reducing your fat intake so that bile is not required for digestion to help you as you heal. You are right though, it does sound as though your pyloric valve might be compromised. Take it easy and eat things that are very easy to digest. I know when I had my gallstone attacks, I was asked to wait 6 months for my "voluntary" surgery (gallblader removal) and the advice given was to eliminate nearly all fat, which really helped, and I lost 60 pounds before surgery.

Bile and food

Bile is secreted in response to fat in ingested foods. A 2005 article in "Neurogastroenterology and Motility" titled "Mechanisms Underlying Duodeno-Gastric Reflux in Man" studied the effects of diet on bile reflux. This study found that high-fat meals lead to more bile refluxing into the stomach than meals with lower fat levels. Because bile is secreted in response to fat, it logically follows that high-fat meals would increase bile secretion and raise the probability of experiencing bile reflux in a patient who has a damaged or weakened pyloric valve.

Symptoms

Patients with episodic bile reflux may develop a variety of symptoms after eating meals that have a high-fat content. This can include severe upper abdominal pain and nausea. High-fat meals can also contribute to esophageal reflux, so patients may also experience heartburn. In extreme cases, patients may also vomit bile or develop a sore throat or hoarseness.

Treatment

Bile reflux can cause lasting damage to the stomach and esophagus and should be treated, even if the problems are only episodic. Patients can avoid eating fatty meals to limit the production of bile. A medication called ursodeoxycholic acid, "The New York Times" explains, can be used to alleviate some of the pain and other symptoms of bile reflux by easing the flow of bile into the small intestine. Other drugs, which speed food through the digestive tract, can also be used. Because bile reflux is caused by an anatomical abnormality, surgery can also be used to reroute food away from the damaged pyloric valve.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/114529-can-bile-reflux-episodic/#ixzz2Dj1wyV9l