Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharon Osbourne is removing her band

"Does that mean when a 13 year old kills someone, they should not be tried for it, but their parents should be. Even if their parents are very good parents, go to church, have high morals and always talked to their kids? Bull. Even at age 13, the kid knows the difference by then between right and wrong."

When you see the 13 year old on tv who had killed someone it`s because its so unusual. That`s why it`s on the news. As you will see that when these young kids do kill they usually dont come from stable two parent homes. Maybe some do come from good homes but as I said there are exceptions to everything.

As I`ve also said a few times on this board. Do you think it is a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of people in prison come from broken homes ?

Carroll O`Conner said himself after his adult child died of a overdose. "Get between your kids and drugs anyway you can" This means more then just teaching them. It means being involved in thier lives in almost every detail, everyday. It`s a hard job but it must be done.

Kids usually know the meaning between right and wrong but that doesnt mean that they do it. This is why kids need guidance in life and it`s the parents job to do it in every detail.

AGAIN, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE EXCEPTIONS

Why doesn't she keep the band AND get the counseling????

And about the high protien colon cancer link..I'd have to say I developed problems in my colon while on Atkins. SInce going off of it and sticking to Fiber and verggies, etc, it is much better now and healing.

wow - i have been lurking for awhile and i just have to say i am one of those kids that came from WONDERFUL PARENTS - i cannot think of one memory from my childhood that wasnt really a good memory... my parents were and are happily married and always there for me and supporting my goals and dreams... i was a straight A student, an all-conference basketball player and BOTH my parents were at every single sporting event or program i ever had. i never saw any adult drink, smoke, or do any drugs my whole childhood - not parents, grandparents or aunts and uncles etc... nobody in the family does these things even now... however, my parents believed every word that ever came out of my mouth - and why wouldnt they with my sterling reputation of straight A's, good kid, good athelete and never caused trouble... there is not a thing in this world that could have stopped me from experimenting with drugs, alcohol and sex. i made these choices at 16. i could care less what someone thinks of me but to say that my parents were bad parents for not controlling me is the most ignorant thing i have ever heard. I did manage to balance sex, drugs, rock and roll, drinking with straight A's and athletics. i made those stupid choices and i own them -

If she had Bulemia she was NOT a candidate for the band to begin with.. No contientious surgeron would place a band in a bulemic patient. Shame on the doctor who placed the band (if he was aware of the bulemia).

Im SURE most people who has suffered with bulimia will not share that info with there doctor...if they want the band-just my thoughts

Why doesn't she keep the band AND get the counseling????

And about the high protien colon cancer link..I'd have to say I developed problems in my colon while on Atkins. SInce going off of it and sticking to Fiber and verggies, etc, it is much better now and healing.

IMO, that would make the most since. It sounds like she just wants an excuse to take the band out so she can eat as she wants. I just don't see other reason to take it out unless it is eroded, etc.

And why is she telling everybody. I could see if she had proof that it had caused her some serious problems and she wanted to get the word out.

Do you think it`s a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of people in prison come from broken or single parent homes ? This is where the seed is planted. Of course there are going to be exceptions but generally the parents are the ones to blame

OMG! I am SO tired of hearing about how bad children from single parent homes turn out. People are either good parents or they are not regardless of their marital status. How dare you assume that two parents turn out better kids than parents who are going it alone (by choice or not).

Sharon O. has admitted to bulimia for some time now. She has also mentioned in several interviews that she promised her family she would get help. I think having the band removed is probably the advice of her therapist.

I can't believe they would band someone with a history of bulimia in the first place, but I guess money talks and some surgeon out there did her a great disservice...

I can't believe they would band someone with a history of bulimia in the first place, but I guess money talks and some surgeon out there did her a great disservice...

I'm not at all certain that Sharon didn't develop Bulimia AFTER she was banded. I asked my surgeon about that (corelation between the band and eating disorders), and he said "It happens."

I know one such person from one of the forums I belong to, and another one in my "real life". In fact, I remember someone posting somewhere that the band is almost "a license to binge and purge".

"Does that mean when a 13 year old kills someone, they should not be tried for it, but their parents should be. Even if their parents are very good parents, go to church, have high morals and always talked to their kids? Bull. Even at age 13, the kid knows the difference by then between right and wrong."

When you see the 13 year old on tv who had killed someone it`s because its so unusual. That`s why it`s on the news. As you will see that when these young kids do kill they usually dont come from stable two parent homes. Maybe some do come from good homes but as I said there are exceptions to everything.

As I`ve also said a few times on this board. Do you think it is a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of people in prison come from broken homes ?

Carroll O`Conner said himself after his adult child died of a overdose. "Get between your kids and drugs anyway you can" This means more then just teaching them. It means being involved in thier lives in almost every detail, everyday. It`s a hard job but it must be done.

Kids usually know the meaning between right and wrong but that doesnt mean that they do it. This is why kids need guidance in life and it`s the parents job to do it in every detail.

AGAIN, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE EXCEPTIONS

You still haven't told us how many perfect children you have raised to adulthood. Are you a mom, or just one of those people who thinks they know how to parent, even though they have zero experience?

No offense, hon, but if you don't have children of your own, you don't know jack about raising kids.

I did not mean to cause such contraversy. "Children learn what they live" is a poem by Dorothy Law Notle

I ain't gonna judge your parenting and I don't want you to judge my fat. We'll just all do the best we can, and if we can help each other, let's do it.

I know people who are just as adament that I could lose this weight if I just....(fill in the blank). It's too superficial for me. People have depth and complex reasons who things happen. I'll cheer you on when I think you're doing things that are good for you. I'll help. I won't do sweeping negative generalizations.

I don't have more answers than I have questions in life, although that would be a relief...and maybe boring.

Why fight about parenting! This is not the topic here is it! Start another thread for that who has time to waste reading that if your not interested...

It makes sense what was said about the band being a good choice for bulimics. That makes perfect sense to me. When I was a teen I tried it on and off for several years. I don't see how you could do it very well with the band.

I hope she does well and gets the help that she needs. She must be hurting quite a bit to go to this extreme.

....the band is almost "a license to binge and purge"

This doesn't sound right to me. Could someone please explain how this could be? The purging can occur with self-induced PBing, right? But what about the binging part? The band PREVENTS binging by restricting the amount that can be consumed, no?

This doesn't sound right to me. Could someone please explain how this could be? The purging can occur with self-induced PBing, right? But what about the binging part? The band PREVENTS binging by restricting the amount that can be consumed, no?

You are right, of course, in the traditional sense. I think the person who posted that the band was "almost a license to binge and purge" meant that she could eat junk food and then make herself throw it back up again very easily. And you CAN, of course, bring food back up more easily from the pouch than from the true stomach.

You are a product of your enviroment and a reflection of your parents.

No..actually some children take on characteristics of their parents and some children are repulsed by them and vow to live differently.

When I talk about children I`m talking about around high school age and younger. At these ages kids make stupid decisions and it`s up to the parents to prepare them so they dont make these dumb life choices.

Could you please tell us about your education or experience on this subjec that apparently makes you a professional and somehow allows you to cast aspersions on the entire human race and paint everyone with the same brush? We're dying to know.

Teaching your kids about this starts at a young age. Don`t expect the schools to do this for you. Don`t expect because you have other good kids that your other kids will follow.

You are proving yourself wrong...because if by your theory one kid turns out good then the others that are raised by the same parents have to turn out good too.

Stats show that when a teenager dies it generally is a preventable death.

Stats will also show that MANY deaths are preventable....and given the tendency of teen drivers to crash their cars...this isn't a surprise but it doesn't in any way to relate to their parenting.

This shows teenagers are making poor decisions which are preventable. It is also a result of poor parenting. These poor choices generally come from one place, the home or the lack there of.

No offense...but unless you can cite some factual statistics....you have already been show to be incorrect....in fact you proved YOURSELF wrong in this very post.

It`s also for time for the parents to stop blaming everyone else if thier kid is a loser. You are responsible for your minor children. If you have a adult who is a drugg addicted fool I wont always blame the parents. If the seed for that was planted growing up then I do blame the mother and father.

Do you think it`s a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of people in prison come from broken or single parent homes ? This is where the seed is planted. Of course there are going to be exceptions but generally the parents are the ones to blame

I do agree that parents shouldn't be looking to place blame on anyone but themselves or their child. If you're going to try and argue like an expert then you need better junk than this.