Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharon Osbourne is removing her band

Osbourne Plans to Remove Gastric Band

By Associated Press

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(getElapsed("20061018T221414Z"));</SCRIPT>2 hours ago<NOSCRIPT>UPDATED 1 HOUR 36 MINUTES AGO</NOSCRIPT>

br-28571.jpg

NEW YORK - Sharon Osbourne says she plans to remove a gastric band that helped her lose 125 pounds and instead rely on psychotherapy to cope with her weight issues.

"I have to figure out why I do what I do to myself," the 54-year-old wife/manager of rocker Ozzy Osbourne says in an interview in People magazine's Oct. 30 issue. "I think I have some sort of self-destruction button."

Osbourne, who has written a memoir, "Sharon Osbourne Extreme," had surgery for the gastric band in 1999 and plans to shed it in December (when she returns to the U.S. from Britain), she says. She packed on 15 pounds this year "from overeating," she says, even though the band limits what she can digest.

"I keep trying to eat more and more ... I'm a pig," says Osbourne, who has indulged in "chocolate, French fries and junk food" instead of sticking to the nutritious diet required of gastric-band patients.

What happens when she eats too much? "You throw up...then you eat more," she says.

Osbourne, who starred with her bizarre-yet-loving clan in MTV's "The Osbournes," is being cheered on by her three children: Aimee, 23, Kelly, 21, and Jack, 20.

"My kids, their whole life, have seen me struggle with weight," she says. "They say, `Now you need to spend time on your head.'"

Wow. I wonder what sorts of other problems she's been having? It sounds like from this that removing her band will only lead to her eating more of the same.

I do agree she needs help psychologically with her eating issues. But, I don't believe having her band removed is going to help her.

I can't believe she eats too much, throws up and then starts eating again either. I know if I PB, I don't want to eat again for hours, or even a full day.

Wow! I had no clue Sharon had a gastric band. I do hope there was no link to that band and her colon cancer. That scares me. Am I the only one?

I wish her the best. I know form my own experience of having my band removed it is possible to maintain the weight loss .I have been doing it for almost a year now. I feel such victory and am so proud of my accomplishment. Losing the weight was huge for me but keeping it off on my own is even bigger. She can do it if she puts her head into it. Kudos to her for wanting to try and deal with her head issues.

Interesting article.

I think by removing the band, she can no longer blame it for her throwing up, then overreating. She will have to face herself and I think that facing herself fully, head on is what she's trying to do. She is aware of her insolence to the band. She knows she is being wrong by throwing up...eating junk foods and just plainly stated....pushing the envelope. I wonder if the band itself causes eating disorders such as eating and spitting. I know I have been guilty of wanting to just taste something and will only allow a chew and taste..then spit it out. I've done this a few times after my fill. I couldn't get solid foods down and I would have to spit it out, even after chewing for minutes upon minutes. I haven't done this for a few weeks as I can get solid food down now ..I think my fill has finally loosened up a bit but not much.

She is just like everyone of us. We are plagued with eating disorders, issues...... overreating, emotional eating, head hunger, bulimia, anorexia nervosa, binging.

She's just a celebrity with real people problems.

I heard of the band because of her. If it hadnot been for her I would never had heard of it, searched for it or got it.

Thanks Sharron!!!

Wow! I had no clue Sharon had a gastric band. I do hope there was no link to that band and her colon cancer. That scares me. Am I the only one?

There is no way that the band could be linked to colon cancer. It's not logical, different ends of the spectrum!! Don't waste time with worry!!

There is no way that the band could be linked to colon cancer. It's not logical, different ends of the spectrum!! Don't waste time with worry!!
Actually there could be an indirect link. 2 or 3 years ago I read an article in a magazine (don't remember which one, but something health/fitness related as it was at my gym) that was looking at the frequency of colon cancer and undetermined colonic polyps among people who have high Protein, low Fiber diets. It was part of an "investigation" on whether or not low carb/high protein diets were effective and safe in the long run. I don't remember the numbers, it was so long ago, but there was an interesting read. The rates were significantly higher, if I remember correctly, but far from conclusive. Maybe something like 30% more likely? But with a lot of variables in the study, that doesn't necessarily mean much. Wish I could remember which magazine it was in. :)

I don't claim to be a psychotherapist, but I can pretty much diagnose her issues with one sentence:

"Hello....you are married to Ozzy...enough said!!" :faint:

Just a joke...I wish her the best of luck!!!

There's a lot more to the Sharon Osbourne story:

Sharon: I'm still fighting bulimia

Nicola Boden

C_17_Articles_175527_BodyWeb_Detail_0_Image.jpg

BULEMIA: Sharon Osbourne.

X FACTOR judge Sharon Osbourne is still battling bulimia after 35 years with the eating disorder, she revealed today.

Sharon, 52, said she gorges on Pasta and ice cream before forcing herself to be sick.

The wife of ex-Black Sabbath rocker Ozzy Osbourne has had her stomach stapled and spent £300,000 on cosmetic surgery but said even this had not cured her of the condition.The mum of three still has eating binges and makes herself sick once aweek - down from four times a day at its worst.

She said: "Some people do drink and drugs but for me it's food, food, food. It's about having low self-esteem. It's not socially acceptable to be fat."

Gosh, I'm surprised too.

But I don't see how removing the band is going to stop her 'head' problems. If she continues to eat like that WITHOUT the band - she's just gonna get fat again and ... still have the head problems.

I think she subconsciously wants to get fat again because surely she can get help for her 'head' problems AND keep the band so she doesn't get fat again?

I don't get it.

I feel bad for her though.

There's a lot more to the Sharon Osbourne story:

Sharon: I'm still fighting bulimia

Nicola Boden

C_17_Articles_175527_BodyWeb_Detail_0_Image.jpg

BULEMIA: Sharon Osbourne.

X FACTOR judge Sharon Osbourne is still battling bulimia after 35 years with the eating disorder, she revealed today.

Sharon, 52, said she gorges on Pasta and ice cream before forcing herself to be sick.

The wife of ex-Black Sabbath rocker Ozzy Osbourne has had her stomach stapled and spent £300,000 on cosmetic surgery but said even this had not cured her of the condition.The mum of three still has eating binges and makes herself sick once aweek - down from four times a day at its worst.

She said: "Some people do drink and drugs but for me it's food, food, food. It's about having low self-esteem. It's not socially acceptable to be fat."

If she had Bulemia she was NOT a candidate for the band to begin with.. No contientious surgeron would place a band in a bulemic patient. Shame on the doctor who placed the band (if he was aware of the bulemia) The best thing for her is Band removal in my opinion.. binging and purging can cause the band to slip as you all know.. and frequent vomiting can produce esphagitis, esopahgeal uncers and esophageal strictures. Also.. Colon cancer usually (but not always) comes from an adenomatous polyp that grows into a cancer over many years (5-10 yrs)... it is likely that she had the polyp and was already on her way to developing colon cancer before she had the band placed in 1999.

:) well if i was married to ozzie ozborne i would be sick in head too lol , no wonder the poor woman is loosing it, she should not of had the surgery, said she has staple and then lap band see what money will do for you, just bypass your real health problems and do it all no matter what the out come