Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating? Already?!

My doc considers plain low fat or Greek yogurt and sugar free pudding ok on the liquid phase. The Peanut Butter isn't on the list but I figured if it was a tiny bite and melted in my mouth I'd be ok...just once.

My friend that used to work at a gym turned me on to the idea of adding Peanut Butter to my Protein shakes to cut that weird chemical taste. I use about half a teaspoon which is enough to lessen the taste' date=' without just making the shake peanut butter flavoured. :)[/quote']

Another suggestion is to try the PB2 product (reduced fat and calories with a lot of Protein when compared to regular peanut butter).

I just had my post op doc appt today at 9 day post op and I'm down 20 lbs in 3 weeks - including my pre op diet! He said I can start soft foods now. So exited! I didn't think I was going to be able to start those until next week. I'm making an egg tonight y'all! Woo hoo!!

Hang in there friends...it goes by faster than you think! :)

Im on my third week post op and the way I have been coping is weird...I used to hate cooking but now I cook everyday and feed all of my family and friends. If I can't eat it this helps. I like making it, being around it, and having others enjoy it.

Im on my third week post op and the way I have been coping is weird...I used to hate cooking but now I cook everyday and feed all of my family and friends. If I can't eat it this helps. I like making it' date=' being around it, and having others enjoy it.[/quote']

Sleeved on 11/14/12 and at 10pm hunger pains are the worst. I crave something salty so I take 2 ritz crackers crushed and eat it slowwwww.

I know the feeling! I cheated. I'm not at all recommending it but it didn't do anything to me. Last Saturday 8th day post op' date=' I had about 1/2 a scrambled egg. And for the last couple of days I've been having a few bites of soft potato( boiled or mashed) I'm not on Protein Shakes and find that I'm craving every kind of food imaginable. In fact, I don't even like mashed potato but the idea of putting purée Soup in my mouth again was making me spew![/quote']

I hope this makes you feel better. I had my surgery on the 12th at a Bcbs center of excellence and on our diet plan starting week 2 you can have mashed potatoes. You can also have cooked vegetables, Beans, lowfat cheese, eggs, crackers and smoothies made with blenderized fruit.< /p>

I'm in the same boat. I am 7 days post-op and so want to cheat! I liked the spoon of the cheese gnocchi sauce tonight while I was cleaning up dinner and it was heaven. I am full liquids til at least Nov 30th. It's very hard but I'm trying to not cheat either. Thanks to all for the great advice and support. It's a small price to pay for the end result.

Rachel

I had my sleeve done monday, nov. 19th. I came home today. My surgeon told me to just have pureed food for hte next few weeks. I think because I was doing ok in the hospital and it being so close to a food based holiday he felt I could handle it. Still, as soon as I cam home I had some broth and the rest of my family had sandwiches and chips. This chips looked sooooo good. Doritos, nacho cheese. And I totally cheated. I licked that chip. I licked at LEAST half of a chip, but you know what?? IT WAS AMAZING. I don't regret it at all. hahhaa. I'm glad I was strong enough to JUST lick it.

I'm really struggling with the huge variations in post-op diets. My Doc's timetable is as follows.

Week 1 - Clear Liquids only (plus Calcium, Vitamin and prilosec)

Week 2 - Clear Liquids (plus above) and 90g of liquid Protein shakes per day.

Week 3 - Same as above

Week 4 - Same as above

Week 5 - Start introducing pureed foods, no meats no fresh/raw vegetables

Week 6 - Same as above

Week 7 - Slowly start adding mushy foods and blended meats (no beef, no pork. Poultry or fish only)

Week 8 - Same as above

Week 9 - Slowly add in regular foods and can start bringing in all meats including beef.

When I read that and then look at all the other diets it makes me wonder if this is "playing it safe"? Is there something different about how he performs the procedure that requires this?

Now with respect to that he is an awesome physician. I had my surgery Thursday November 15th. Home that Friday afternoon and I was back visiting my clients Monday morning feeling fantastic, far better than I ever expected. I also know that my surgeon's "numbers" are a lot better than the averages. Faster recoveries, a lot fewer complications and higher and faster weight loss. But it's a damn hard core post-op diet. His pre-op diet is just as rigid. I started on clear liquids plus Protein Shakes 12 days before. So I haven't had a single bite of real food since November 3rd.

But as I mentioned I was up and about fast, really fast, feel great and the most important part. When I weighed myself an hour ago I was 318, that's down from 357 on November 4th, nearly 40lbs!

I have faith in my doc and his approach but I wonder if there is any risk moving up the diet schedule just a little early. Not saying I'm going to a steak buffet tomorrow but would I really put myself in peril going to pureed foods after two weeks and mushy at 4 weeks?

Personally, I think you should respect your surgeon's approach. I suspect he uses it because he knows it works, allowing your body to sufficiently heal, while reducing the risk of possible complications. My surgeon is more conservative than yours, but I'm grateful for having had no issues, and great success, as a result.

Thanks guys' date=' yeah, I keep seeing food and wanting it, but at the same time, I keep forgetting to drink my actual Protein shakes, which at least lets me know that most of the hunger I'm feeling is in my head.

Saw on another board that someone suggested doing milk, unflavoured greek yogurt, and some mio for flavour in place of a Protein shake, and I'm definitely trying that tonight. The slimy fake sweet of every shake I've tried just kills me.[/quote']

Have you tried premier Protein Shakes from costco? 30g of Protein and the chocolate ones are so good! NOT the vanilla lol but the chocolate ones.

And everyone's right, it's in your head and it's super hard but you just have to keep reminding yourself of all your struggles and how far you have came. I have not cheated but did chew done chicken at a party and spit it out lol just once. I cook for my daughter daily and always make sure I had my shake first so I don't feel like I want to taste it lol been working great for me. Keep it up u will, we all will get through this yay :-)

I agree. It seems the more conservative docs tend to have fewer complications. I was sleeved on Halloween and am super sad there will be turkey broth only and Protein Shakes this turkey day but next week I start puréed foods. My doc never goes to full liquids but clears and Protein shakes for 4 weeks. I saw him last week and asked about even adding full liquids for the holiday. His response was that I had come so far why take a chance now at messing it up and having to go back into surgery and coming out with a feeding tube. So, it just another week (it's already been 5 since was on liquids 2 weeks pre-op)

Also, if you go to www.unjury.com their shakes are the best I've found and they also have a Protein chicken Soup that is tasty. Plus it has 21 Proteins.

Yep...I went through a LOT of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth powder when I was on liquids. I mixed it in plain Water, as well as in canned chicken consommé (broth). The only thing I would change about it would be the temperature at which you can mix it...I'd prefer it to be a little warmer than 130 degrees, if possible.

As for Thanksgiving....focus on how thankful you are for the gift of your sleeve, given by a fantastic (and sensible!!) surgeon!! Enjoy the company, and the broth, and keep your eye on the prize! :)