Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought this was a good article.

Is Ketosis a Good or Bad Thing?

August 6, 2012 By Dian and Tom Griesel

Ketone-300x227.jpgWhen it comes to health, wellness, diet and weight-loss, ketosis is probably one of the most misunderstood conditions. Today we will attempt to put ketosis in its proper perspective, as simply as possible, as it applies to losing your excess body fat and improving your body composition.

According to Wikipedia, “Ketosis is a state of elevated levels of ketone bodies in the body.”

Do you have any idea what a ketone is? Are they dangerous?

Ketones are simply the end-product of fat metabolism in the body. Chemically a ketone body is an acid and there are three types, which are actually irrelevant to our discussion in understanding their role in your body.

Just like a car engine, your body needs fuel to run. It can use fat, carbohydrate (glucose) and in some cases, Protein. When fat is used, the end product is ketones and when glucose is used the end product is lactic acid.

Our bodies have the ability to store ample amounts of fat in reserve which will provide 9 calories per gram. This storage ability is a survival mechanism for times of scarce food availability. We have a limited ability to store carbohydrate which provides 4 calories per gram. There is more than twice the energy stored in a gram of fat and therefore it should be considered a premium or high-performance fuel.

Almost every cell in our body has the ability to use fat for energy in one form or another and our bodies also have the ability to produce any glucose needed for those cells that require it. Think about this for a minute: If carbohydrates were actually our preferred fuel wouldn’t our bodies have evolved a way to store more of it for lean times? Fat is actually our body’s preferred fuel but it does work best when some dietary carbohydrates are also present.

Ketones that form as a normal byproduct of fat burning (and weight-loss) are nothing for the majority of people to be concerned about (type 1 diabetics are another story) because they are efficiently used for energy and any excess is passed out in the urine. The more rapidly the body uses or loses body fat, the more ketones that are naturally produced. There are many times when the brain can and will use ketones for energy and your liver will even produce extra ketones when glucose reserves are low (such as during long-distance exercise, fasting and dieting).

Low carbohydrate diets are often called ketogenic diets because the body produces more ketones which can readily be detected in the urine. However, it is important to understand that anyone who is losing body fat, on any kind of diet, will have trace ketones in their urine because anyone who is losing weight is most certainly burning some fat for energy. Remember, ketones are a normal byproduct of fat metabolism.

Some people mistakenly believe (Atkins followers) that the presence of detectable ketones in the urine is evidence of weight-loss or loss of body fat. However, if you are eating enough calories on a low-carb, high-protein/high-fat diet, processing dietary fat will also result in ketone production without any loss of body fat. Again, ketones are a natural byproduct of fat metabolism whether it is from dietary fat or your own body fat.

In order to use your body fat for fuel (and lose weight), you need a caloric deficit which will force your body to utilize it. The presence of ketones in the absence of a caloric deficit will not result in weight or fat loss.

If you ate only 300 calories of table sugar per day (not recommended) you would most certainly produce a caloric deficit, burn excess body fat for energy, lose scale weight and produce detectable ketones in your urine. It is not a specific diet that produces ketones. If you are losing excess body fat and scale weight, you are producing ketones. Ketones are just a natural byproduct of fat metabolism.

Some people question the safety of low-carbohydrate diets (any diet that results in a detectable amount of ketones in the urine) but there is no evidence to indicate that it is a harmful condition in normal people. In fact, it is most likely that during our evolution, it was the “normal” state due to a lack of available natural concentrated carbohydrates. A diet consistently rich in concentrated carbohydrates is relatively new and has only become common since the widespread development of farming and agriculture (the appearance of diabetes and many other modern chronic diseases also coincides with this dietary change). Ketogenic diets are often used and are effective in helping epileptic children to reduce/avoid seizures and are also being tested for treatment of Parkinson disease.

Both fat and glucose are burned during exercise. The more efficient your body becomes at using fat for fuel (usually as a result of decreasing the intake of concentrated carbohydrates) the more it will favor fat metabolism.

TurboChargers develop a very efficient fat-burning metabolism by avoiding all processed, concentrated carbs while focusing on more natural, moisture rich carbohydrate sources like fruits, vegetables, legumes and tubers. Once this metabolic shift is accomplished (3-5 days), a reduction in caloric intake, which results in an overall caloric deficit, will produce a rapid loss of excess body fat (and subsequent increased ketone production).

So, in conclusion, ketones are not a magic bullet and they are not harmful or something to be afraid of. They are just a normal byproduct of a properly functioning human body.

I use sf mints and I carry those scope mini One time use tooth brushes! They are very helpful to use during the work day. I will confess that I use each one twice and store in a sip top Baggie in between use lol!!

It is a bad thing over the long-term. You can't stay in that mode forever. Your body needs carbs to survive. You lose a lot of weight at the beginning (that's the point of high Protein, low carb diets like Atkins). But eventually, your body will start to catabolize or "eat itself". At some point, you need to start adding some carbs back to your diet. You will still continue to lose, but you need carbs for energy. Be smart about using your sleeve and don't sacrifice your overall health for the sake of weight loss...K

It is a bad thing over the long-term. You can't stay in that mode forever. Your body needs carbs to survive. You lose a lot of weight at the beginning (that's the point of high protein' date=' low carb diets like Atkins). But eventually, your body will start to catabolize or "eat itself". At some point, you need to start adding some carbs back to your diet. You will still continue to lose, but you need carbs for energy. Be smart about using your sleeve and don't sacrifice your overall health for the sake of weight loss...K[/quote']

No worries here. I am still on full liquids so I think that's why I hv breath like this. Tomorrow I can have cottage cheese, string cheese, fat free refrained Beans n puréed & blended foods like banana & carrots. Can't wait. In hoping this breath leaves me lol I'm glad I'm loosing like crazy but I know I will anyways since I can only eat a tiny bit.

I was sleeved 11/7. I've been doing fantastic!! I've lost 28 pounds already that's Pre & post op. So I noticed my mouth is all blah n I brush n brush n rinse n floss. My dietician said its fat burning n I'm breathing this out my body. I guess it's all the protein!! Has anyone experienced this? How long does it last? Where are the experienced sleeves?

Glad you are doing well.

It comes with a low carb diet. Many people who go through the Atkin's or any similar low carb diet experience halitosis. Like girl said' date=' drink plenty of Water and as your body adapts, it will get better![/quote']

Halitosis as a result of ketosis. Not uncommon at all.

Amanda Rae

I have a crown on one of my molars. I have even noticed that it feels dirty all the time while it did not used to feel this way. It is like there is a film over it. I have to brush and brush it. I am dealing with the bad breath issue also.

OMG! I noticed the same thing and thought it was just me. I've been brushing and brushing away to no avail.

UGG Boots Outlet container be said at is dear reverse the world. Not simply is its tag. And its manufacturing mode to charm innumerable fans. Cheap UGG Boots tin be worn in the winter, uniform i summer dedecay in the Spring and Autumn spice. In bleak weather, Cheap UGG Boots lengthy yarn container retain your feet, blocking the outdoor air-conditioning in bid to brand the entire body feel warmer.

welcome to http://www.discountuggbootscode.com/