Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help Please!

Hi, I was sleeved on May 31, 2012. That put me at almost 6 months out. My question is should I still be drinking Protein Shakes? I am logging my food with my fitness pal and seen that I am not getting no where near my daily Protein limit. My sample Breakfast is coffee with cream and sugar, usually no lunch( I know, I know) and dinner is usually something like a piece of sausage, eggs with cheese. Some days I actually have a appetite and still is not able to get in my protein amounts. I am beginning to worry. I have lost 62 pounds...so I am not complaining, But I dont want to screw myself up long term. Compared to others, my weight loss is slow but I am pleased. I would like to add that when I stopped drinking my morning protein shake(this is usually a 1/2 carnation instant breakfast packet with milk, Fiber, and miralax) I started losing weight again Do you think I should still drink them if I dont eat, kinda like a Meal Replacement? I am confused, and need help! Any tips or suggestions would be great! :)

You should not be skipping meals, but if you do, by all means subsitute with a Protein shake! Even if you do not feel hungry, your body needs fuel to burn!

Thanks Strange fruit...I usually skip meals in the day, while at work to prevent bad decision making, but I think I will take your advice and drink a shake!

You absolutely unequivocally need to be getting adequate Protein on a daily basis! Instead of coffee in the morning, I start my day with a Protein Shake (30g of protein). And about 90 minutes before bed, I have another one. This meets my daily protein goal of 60g and everything else consumed is just a bonus.

Thanks UTGal99......What kind of shakes are you drinking? Are they tasty?

You should talk to your doc and ask him what is the correct amount of Protein you need today I saw my doc I'm 5 weeks out and he told me all I need is 50grams of protein so I don't need the shakes if I can manage to eat those 50grams in my meal he said thats the reason why I've been in a stall for more than two weeks so I really hope he is right I mean he is the doc lol

I was told by my bariatric nurse that the number of grams of Protein you need in a day depends on how tall you are (i.e. 64 inches tall = 64 grams of protein a day). I know all doctors are different though. If I remember right, the reason you need protein is to help keep your muscles when you're losing weight, so you lose more of the fat instead of the muscles. I to am struggling with getting in all my protein in each day. I have to find a Protein Shake I like again, I can't stand any of the ones I drank on the pre-op diet, because there's no way I can get in the proper amount of protein with food, since I can only eat so much right now (I'm 6 weeks out now).

The amount you need is different when healing, and changes based not only on height but weight. My goal now during healing is 58g's (I'm 5 foot nothing by the way) which I round up to 60 for easy math per the NUT's instructions. But my goal after the weight loss period will be 50g's given a height of five feet and a weight of 110. I'd call your nut or doc and ask what you should be doing at this point...but also advise you do a shake at lunch if you can't eat.

Your comment about not making good choices so you chose not to eat at all kind of worries me about long term success. I think you should take a hard look at yourself and make a real effort to eat something for lunch. Skipping meals leads to over eating later (yes you aren't doing it now but you're building a very unhealthy habit). Skipping proper meals is what sends out body into bad cycles, feeling it needs to over compensate when we do offer it a little food, leading to....you guessed it, weight gain, even when we are taking in lower calorie bases.

You are probably losing massive amounts of lean body mass (muscle) and not fat. Your heart is a muscle. You absolutely have to get your Protein your skipping meals and low Protein will cause slow weight loss. I really really really, no really, (lol) think you need to call your surgeon.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

At least grab a RTD (ready to drink) Protein Drink to drink during the day.

I was told to shoot for 80g of Protein per day. I begin with a Protein shake that I blend with BSN Lean Dessert Protein powder. Sometimes I add 1/4C Greek Yogurt to add extra Protein. It takes me about two hours to drink it. While at work I will eat string cheese, low carb yogurt (Carb Master found at Kroger), a Pure Protein RTD shake. I also take Protein Shots (I know, some don't like these but I began feeling better after I started taking them & my nutritionist is fine with them). when I get home I mix up tuna or or very lean hamburger. The Protein shakes help to get the liquid count. BariactricAdvantage has a lot of protein Fruit drinks, protein pudding, etc. I purchase some things from them so I can get a change.

Hope this helps. :)

I actually got scolded by my doctor for eating 80g of Protein One day. He said that at my height I should get 45-50 g a day and no more, no less.

Really? I guess doctors are different. It was even on the post op directions. When I was getting dizzing and weak I told them I was getting about 60g day and was told that 60 was good but aim for 80. I've felt better since I'm getting the extra. Maybe it is because I was/am so large?

Thanks everyone. I have a appointment at the end of this month. I will be completely honest with him. I am looking into getting some ready to drink Protein shakes....just have not found any that are really good....Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone. I have a appointment at the end of this month. I will be completely honest with him. I am looking into getting some ready to drink Protein shakes....just have not found any that are really good....Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again

I drink the ones from costco (Premier) as well as Ohyeah which I think I ordered online from GNC (free shipping typically). They're both lower in sugar and carbs and yet have 30g of good Protein. I can only drink them cold myself, but early out, there's always the option of cutting them with milk if you have issues with the thickness (which I did for some odd reason).