Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Wks Post Op Miserable

An update... what the heck am I doing wrong????

Well I don't know where I left off, as it has been a few days or a week since my last post. It's been a week since I had the endoscopic procedure where the physician inserted a balloon to address a blockage presumably caused by swelling and scar tissue. That worked somewhat as I have been able to increase my food intake; not much, but certainly better than before. Well actually I seem to have good days and bad days. For example, yesterday I was actually able to eat an egg, with 1/2 slice of finely diced ham and 1/2 slice finely diced cheese. I was so pleased. For lunch I had about 3 teaspoons of tuna fish salad; of course I had to chew all these foods slowly until they were almost like liquid, but still they went down and stayed down. I forgot what I had for dinner, I have to start writing this stuff down. Today on the other hand, it's not been a good day. I felt a little constipated, mainly Proteins tend to do this to me - so I took a laxative. I actually meant to take a stool softener. Since then, it's been horrible. Horrible stomach cramping, running constantly to the bathroom to eliminate nothing, because nothing is really in me. Well actually I had some cereral, with lactaid milk. It was a very small amount of Special K Cereal which I let sit until it softened enough to chew until it was liquid. Apparently not a good idea because shortly afterwards, the stomach cramping was almost unbearable. Sometimes I can't decide if I want to go to the bathroom or vomit or both. I'm still not getting in the proper amount of Protein or Fluid, which concerns me greatly. I did have about 8 ounces of lemonade yesterday too. I guess I was just too happy that I was able to eat/drink something that tasted halfway decent, though I didn't drink and eat at same time. I still feel extremely weak and do not sleep very well. I'm not fully back at work yet, but expect to go back full time next week. Actually I was in the office 1 day this week for a couple of hours and coupled with running a couple of errands, I was exhausted by the time I got home. I'm trying desperately to figure out how to make my sleeve happy, so that I can be happy. I haven't felt normal since before my surgery. I've been very depressed regarding all this and, yes I do see a therapist, but my next visit is not until next week. In fact I saw my regular physician this week, and asked that she place me back on my depression medication. I feel really sad about this because it's been almost a year, if not a year, since I've had to take this medication, but I know I can't fight this depressed mood on my own. I literally hate all the Protein Drinks I've tried so far, in fact I have cases of some of this stuff which is just sitting in the corner. I know I probably sound ungrateful, especially since I was so excited to have this surgery and stayed on my doctor's office and the insurance company to get it approved. Now, I feel a little "buyer's remorse" but it's not the surgery, I want the weight loss and needed help; but I never imagined how difficult this transition would be for me. Everyone says that it will get better. My DIL who also had the surgery says that it's like going through an addiction withdrawal, but it will get better. I hate feeling and being physically weak all the time. I live alone and have to do everything for myself... another thing that is probably contributing to my depression. I'm sorry to sound like such a cry-baby, I generally am considered the "strong one," except this time... Anyway, I keep writing in this forum because I do like to hear positive feedback and need all the suggestions, encouragement and shared experiences I can get. I am trying so hard to tell myself that things will get better. I have also been weaning myself off the pain meds, haven't had any in a few days. I don't have actual pain, though I do have serious stomach cramping associated with constipation/diarrhea. I take Gas X, which seems to help; but the other meds my doc gave me to help with acide reflux, don't help at all. They actually seem to contribute to more stomach cramping and diarrhea, so I stopped taking them. The pain meds did help me sleep, but now they are gone so sleeping has been difficult. I have sleeping pills, but I try not to take these either. I'm really not a "pill" person and don't need another addiction. I feel like a human slug, because I just walk from one room to the other, lay/sit down; sometimes I just walk around the house just to keep it moving. Oh geez, I think I'll stop writing now because I'm making my own self even more depressed. Thank you for being patient with my ramblings.

You my dear need to be patient. You are only 4 weeks out. You are still healing. I just hit 10 weeks out and finally have just started to feel like a human being again!

Your sleeve is going to have good days and bad. Treat it nicely and it'll be good back to you. Sometimes it'll like something one day and then not like it the next. It's a game of sorts.

Just keep trying to get as much Protein and fluids as you can. At this point fluids are top priority.

Keep

On doing what you're doing. In no time you'll forget about all of the problems and will be living the good life.

Good luck

I am glad you posted again. After reading and posting on this forum for over a year I have seen quite a number of people that have to go about nutrition much slower than others. Obviously, you did have a stricture of sorts and that is why your doctor did the dilation treatment. If I were you I would not be trying to eat solids yet. I did not move to solids until well after 6 weeks and I did not have complications. Try going back to full liquids or pureed foods until you can tolerate the solids. You are not healed yet, and you probably just need more time. Also, it is helpful to log all your foods, liquids, Protein and Vitamins to be proactive with your self care and be able to see exactly what you are achieving with your nutrition. You can do this, but give yourself time!!

Some ideas...

Several cups of hot tea in the morning or Decaf coffee

Protein Shakes

Creamy Soups

Yogurt

Cottage cheese

Refried Beans with melted cheese

Hot cereals (thinned out)

Mashed potatoes with gravy

Chili Beans pureed

Soups pureed

SF popsicles and Jello

SF puddings

Lots of Water, crystal light and other SF fluids

Good luck!!

Thank you for the suggestion and for the nutrition selections. I think you are right, my system is just not ready for soft foods. I've tried to consume some, but progress is either slow or, I spend more time trying to keep the food down e.g. not vomiting. My biggest problem is that most of the items on the list, which is similiar to what my doc provided, I either don't like (really don't like) or, I can only consume an ounce or two at a time - even Water and Protein drinks. I'm trying very hard, but I'm also getting frustated and quite concerned; because I know I have to eat something.

You should be getting over 60 grams of Protein for proper healing and 64 oz of Fluid, I know the fluid intake may be impossible for you right now but try your best with which EVER fluid you can tolerate and just keep on sipping. Can you tolerate chicken broth or beef broth or regular Soup? eggs are so hard to tolerate at first! Find something really soft that you like and stick to that for about two weeks and then gently introduce softer food. What about fish like tuna, is that an option??

Reading this thread has been very good for me......I hope the op has found some relief since January. I am 3 weeks out and not. Holding down Water. Vomiting bile and blood has increased and I plan to go to doctors today when my husband drops off the kids at school. I was gonna wait until Monday, my doctor was concerned at our visit Monday, but the blood and bile has increased and I am not gonna sit here and suffer for nothing. I also can't sleep so thoughts of how it sucks that others are returning to work and feeling great sort of depresses me. It reminds me that I am not normal and I never dreamed I could be the one to have complications. I think it is very important that everyone going into this know this surgery is fantastic....when there are no complications......and if you haves it back for the ride.

I will figure this out and deal with it, but I can honestly say I would have not ever done this had I really thought about the complications. I barely move from my bed, my husband is lonely because I am basically a vegetable, my kids miss there mother and how I am supposed to return to work in 2 weeks beats me.

My biggest hope is in 2 months I will look back on this post and laugh at myself for being a whiner. .....hopefully

Sent from my iPad using VST

I hope things improve for you soon i am now 5 months out i have a feeding tube now for about 3 wks it has helped alot. I have been able to eat small amounts for about a wk for first time in 5 months i have lost 120 lbs in 5months ( not recommended ) lol: i had nothing but problems after the surgery; again i hope you see some improvment soon good luck.. lux

doing alot better past few wks, have been able to eat & drink for few wks now started PT this wk to recondition my body after being down for so long things are looking up.

doing alot better past few wks' date=' have been able to eat & drink for few wks now started PT this wk to recondition my body after being down for so long things are looking up.[/quote']

I am happy to hear you are doing better. Would you still say you regret surgery?

Linda305

I am happy to hear you are doing better. Would you still say you regret surgery? Linda305

Linda I pray for you and ask that God heal you. I'm sorry to hear how much you have gone through but I have faith that you will get better. Hang in there and watch for good things coming your way.

DB loving lyfe

My husband got sleeved July 16 & have 24/7 sour stomach can't eat, he does get Fluid in dr gave him nexiun & zofran neither helps.appreciate any suggestions/comments