Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Wks Post Op Miserable

Bleeding was caused by severe vomiting after the procedure which caused the staple line on the stomach to bleed. My kidneys failed due to low blood pressure due to blood loss you have to have pressure for the kidneys to filter the blood & produce urine. I received 5 units of blood & several bags of IV fluids after a couple days they began to function again

I am so sorry Lux...I hope you get better and to a point in life that you can actually look back and say "Whoa those first months SUCKED...but look at me now"!

Internal bleeding can also happen because your vessels don't close off enough (or fast enough) after they make the cut to remove your stomach (just an FYI moment for those who asked). I had it as well.

Lux I had major complications, including internal bleeding which caused a large ball of blood to spend a couple of months in my abdomen after the surgery (I only needed two transfusions...your really went through the wringer). At four weeks out I was a week away from a long hospital stay because the spasms the bleeding caused probably caused my leak. You are sure there is no leak right???? I understand the lack of ability to take Protein or fluids, and went through it myself. The weakness is hard to describe to anyone who hasn't suffered as you have. I couldn't walk down the hallway without passing out myself so again, I feel for you!

I took it one day at a time, and did in the end fire my original doc and move onto another one because he wasn't listening to me. Are you feeling that you are getting proper care??? Don't hesitate to "move on" if you need to.

You probably don't want it...but a JG tube might be an option for feeding if you just can't get it in on your own. I personally rejected mine, but many people find them successful and you can't go much longer without proper nutrition. A week on it might be enough to get you strong again so that you can take over from there??? Have you explored this with your doctor?

At five weeks I was in an ambulance headed for a huge hospital in the "big city" because the damage was killing me. While you might have an easier ride cuz you know the team :) (My guys were actually wonderful) I don't want to hear you end up taking that ride!!!! Please take care and keep us informed. I am a firm believer in sharing the bad stories with the good ones. I personally still regret the risks I took for this surgery (I was low Bmi and supposedly low risk LOL...BS!) While weight loss is lovely...it's not worth it for someone like me (IMO). I get your side of the story far too well!!!

Sorry to hear about your complications, yes the weakness is indescribable. The thought of a tube or IV nutrition has crossed my mine but it will be a last resort. My last visit with my Dr. He was concerned about my Fluid intake as well as Protein so much so he told me " i dont care if you ever eat! " i know i will not get better without protein & need Water for the kidneys & to prevent dehydration. Have been sipping on a protein shot all morning so far so good have some nausea but keeping it down

Sorry to hear about your complications' date=' yes the weakness is indescribable. The thought of a tube or IV nutrition has crossed my mine but it will be a last resort. My last visit with my Dr. He was concerned about my Fluid intake as well as Protein so much so he told me " i dont care if you ever eat! " i know i will not get better without Protein & need Water for the kidneys & to prevent dehydration. Have been sipping on a protein shot all morning so far so good have some nausea but keeping it down[/quote']

The shot is whey isolate right? The casien casen? caisen? (ok that one that sounds like that) is not able to assimilate in your body (so it's a waste of your valuable ability!).

Are you on zofran? It's anti nausea...as well as a PPO? I took zofran a lot in the early days but the PPO also helps after you've taken it a couple of days (it builds up in your system).

Wow yeah that's it given to me by a friend who was sleeved a few months ago. Well the rest will go in the trash. Not taking any antiemetics such as zofran but am taking a ppi. Thanks so much for the info

Wow yeah that's it given to me by a friend who was sleeved a few months ago. Well the rest will go in the trash. Not taking any antiemetics such as zofran but am taking a ppi. Thanks so much for the info

Sorry to burst your Protein bubble! I learned the hard way too LOL But given you're having such trouble I'd rather burst it than see you think they are any help.

You know, on the Protein thing...I struggle! One thing I did early out was to have half a Protein Drink (like 8oz or whatever half is in one you are using) and mix it into half zero fat milk. So its basically 50/50 milk and Protein Drink. That thins it out quite a bit and makes it easier to digest...or even get down! The other thing I did was to use zero fat milk with oveltine in it. It's so much thinner than a protein drink so it goes down much easier and you can drink it warm or cold. It's not as much protein as a drink, but when you just can't get those down it's still a good amount and every gram counts!

When I was early out I set tiny goals. So the first week might be just to get to 20g's (per day) by friday. Then the next week to 30 by friday, etc. While that's horrifically low protein, it's better than nothing and it helps (IMO) to not to have to try to get all the way up to 60 in one day, which for me was basically not possible, and it sounds like you're the same there!

I wish you the best! I hate to hear of anyone suffering from complications, especially as bad as yours have been.

Is this for real or is it to scare others from the surgery? I'm just wondering.

I'm not sure what would make you say that. This person is obviously having a tough time. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! Have you had the surgery? If not, you have no right to comment. If you have, think yourself lucky that you didn't have these complications!

You're one of the reasons I hate people!

Why on earth would you ask such a silly question? Ask yourself...what value does anyone have of "scaring someone from having the surgery?" There is literally none in doing so. So instead you are poking a very sick person in the side with a stick. Nice!

I have been through much worse that this poster is going through and let me assure you, the symptoms and side effects they are describing are very accurate and undoubtedly real. You can't make this chit up. Obviously you are perfect and will not have any of this happen to you, but take your mean comments and share them with your family and friends...don't kick a stranger while they are down. It's cruel and unnecessary, and very troll like behavior.

The only "troll like" behavior is the one calling names.

The only toll like behavior is the one calling names.

Can't we all just get along?

Just kidding

But really I wasn't offended by you asking if the complications are real. Sometimes the complication stories can be so horrific they seem unbelievable but they do happen and the people that have them are kind enough to stick around and post what's happening to help others

I don't think you meant your question offensive but someone who nearly lost their life may feel attacked and go in the defense.