Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee is not on my program at all' date=' much to my frustration, so I started to ponder why. I didn't think it was the ulcer thing because we are taking PPIs. I questioned the diuretic thing because we are drinking a lot of fluids. Or it could be that caffeine is a stimulant, thereby causing some to be stimulated into eating by it (a stretch?) My next question was what if caffeine had an impact on blood sugar/glucose, which appears to make more sense. So I looked at some studies.

http://care.diabetes...27/12/2990.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1464218/

It seems from those studies that the only real impact is to those with Type 2 diabetes or those that ingest extremely large quantities.

Then there is this double blind study which finds caffeine intake reduces insulin sensitivity; the effect persists for at least a week and is evident up to 12 hours after administration."

http://www.sciencedi...026049507002752

That pretty much says (insulin resistance) that there is an impact resulting in metabolic syndrome, which is part of our problem.

"In simple terms, this combination of insulin-resistance and insulin over-production leads to two common outcomes: diabetes, or obesity combined with high cholesterol and increased rates of heart disease."

I would love to see another interpretation of these studies.

My nut actually told me most of this. But coffee is allowed and I will be adding it to my diet once again. I never drank a lot but can't wait to drink some today

coffee (and caffeine) in moderation is Dr. Oz approved. The darker the Beans, the more the antioxidents. I think that sugar, not caffeine, is the enemy, and so as long as you use Splenda or Stevia or some other natural sweetner, if you need that, you will be fine.

Gettingthere, I have a Nespresso machine, and my husband and I just love it. I bought it after buying (and returning) an $400 espresso machine. It is great. You will love it. Don't forget to join the Nespresso club and get your welcome package that comes with a free gift.

I'm dying for a cup of coffee. I'm still waiting until I get doctors approval before I try it.

What about the Atkins Carmel latte protien shakes? ?

i agree with everyone. my thoughts on this is we are treated like rny patients. we stillhave our stomach its just smaller and we have a pyloric valve theirs is now man made i think that makes a differance. i drank coffe for years and never had an ulcer now i had that damn h pylory crap and still didnt get an ulcer. again we are treated like rny patients we are not like them at all. anyone agree

coffee (and caffeine) in moderation is Dr. Oz approved. The darker the beans' date=' the more the antioxidents. I think that sugar, not caffeine, is the enemy, and so as long as you use Splenda or Stevia or some other natura sweetner, if you need that, you will be fine.

Gettingthere, I have a Nespresso machine, and my husband and I just love it. I bought it after buying (and returning) an 800 espresso machine. It is great. You will love it. Don't forget to join the Nespresso club and get your welcome package that comes with a free gift.[/quote']

I just saw the nexpresso line of machines at the cooking store on Saturday. I would get one, but love my Starbucks Verismo way to much. The only disadvantage on the Verismo is that there are not enough coffee blends. Combine this with a frother (Starbucks only sells whole milk cartridges right now) to froth nonfat milk and you are golden. Note that nonfat milk froths much better than light soy. No idea why, but found that out earlier on.

I started putting coffee in my Protein Shakes after I was off of Clear Liquids (2 weeks). I just don't live on it. I have a cup every other day. When I do, WOW! Alcohol isn't the only thing that affects us quicker. I catch a buzz off one cup!

I started putting coffee in my Protein shakes after I was off of clear liquids (2 weeks). I just don't live on it. I have a cup every other day. When I do' date=' WOW! Alcohol isn't the only thing that affects us quicker. I catch a buzz off one cup![/quote']

Yup, I get it after a 4 oz Cappuccino. It actually helps me work full capacity during the wee hours of the morning.

Fiddleman, I never thought I could give up Starbucks French Roast Beans either, but Nespresso has surprisingly good quality coffee, and the Nespresso machine is easy to use and clean, which I like. It does have a milk frother, but I don't use it because I just heat my milk up in the microwave and mix it in to make a latte.

I had purchased a more expensive machine from costco initially. It was actually around $400 and not $800 like I initially said; although, I was considering the $800 model for a long time. I ended up returning it to the store when it malfunctioned.

I read a lot of reviews on Amazon before trying the Nespresso, and I am very happy with it. They have a lot of different types of coffees and lungos, and three different decafs. If you get their welcome package when you first join the Nespresso club, they send you a huge variety and a nice case for about $200.00.