Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone Advised Me Against The Surgery Today...

I went to a consultation at some fitness/herbal place that helps with different things like weight loss, toning the skin, body modification, acne, etc.

Anyways i heard that they do pre-op detoxing to help surgery recuperation and they do different treatments post op.

The lady who consulted me had some nerve to tell me not to do it. That I will regret it. That everyone that she knows whose done it has suffered. That I will only lose 50lbs with the sleeve and that most likely i'll gain it right back. I'm like wtfudge?

She tried to convince me out the surgery telling me that I should just do a 3 month package for $1750 that will help me lose weight.

And that she advises me to do it for a year... SERIOUSLY????????

At this point its all about the money for them.

I feel like people will keep doing this. Has anyone else experienced something similar? And what was your reaction? Thanks!

The intake nurse for my pre-op lab work tried to talk me out of surgery. She was subtle, mentioning how she lost almost 100lbs via weight watchers, knows that it works, how anyone can do it if they take it seriously. Whatever! I smiled, nodded my head and kept on moving.

People will say anything and everything, it is up to you to know what is right for you body/life.

HI,,I have been through it, infact, just daybefore, when i went to the gym to talk about about my post op detoxing to help surgery recuperation, its the best fitness center in the city & the manager with the counceller made me sit down for good 1.5hrs telling me that i could do it all, 90 pounds insnt too much too loose and i will be out healthy in a year ..who will tell them that i have spent 10 out of my 25yrs on earth trying all that & only when the realization has hit that "I Need an Intervention" , that im going out & getting my stomach cut.

They do it because they think we are lazy, afraid of working out & taking an easy way out.....so it is for us to stick to our guts,quash away such thoughts, for comeone, it has already taken us long enough to "accept" that we need it.

So worry not, go get it done & then excercise your way to "healthy you"

.That's exactly what i thought,

People don't know our struggle!!!

Sometimes people need to mind their own business unless someone asked for their opinion!

The intake nurse for my pre-op lab work tried to talk me out of surgery. She was subtle, mentioning how she lost almost 100lbs via weight watchers, knows that it works, how anyone can do it if they take it seriously. Whatever! I smiled, nodded my head and kept on moving.

People will say anything and everything, it is up to you to know what is right for you body/life.

Thank you. People like to put their 2 cents in. That's why i have avoided telling people. They do not know our struggle. She didn't know that the same things she wanted me to do I have done in the past. Yes I lost weight successfully but it came back on with more. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it! Good Luck! :)

HI,,I have been through it, infact, just daybefore, when i went to the gym to talk about about my post op detoxing to help surgery recuperation, its the best fitness center in the city & the manager with the counceller made me sit down for good 1.5hrs telling me that i could do it all, 90 pounds insnt too much too loose and i will be out healthy in a year ..who will tell them that i have spent 10 out of my 25yrs on earth trying all that & only when the realization has hit that "I Need an Intervention" , that im going out & getting my stomach cut.

They do it because they think we are lazy, afraid of working out & taking an easy way out.....so it is for us to stick to our guts,quash away such thoughts, for comeone, it has already taken us long enough to "accept" that we need it.

So worry not, go get it done & then excercise your way to "healthy you"

No way would I be subjected to 1 1/2 hours of that kind of talk. I cannot even abide 5 minutes of it. What? They think we're doing this on a whim. I researched for a year. I've been through every "diet" from Nutrisystem to Phentermine.

What I knew is that I had a bottomless pit for a stomach.

You can now eat right and have the ability to Portion Control. After losing a small bit of weight, exercise feels great!

Somebody wants to speak their mind in one or two sentences? Fine.

Somebody wants to lecture me? Thank you, but go pound sand.

Haven't you realized that EVERYONE knows what's best for us!?!?! Haha

Self-empowerment is intimidating to other people and they will try to attack it when they see it because they are not as self-empowered.

One of the nurses who took care of me post op had the surgery herself in the year prior to my surgery and she was great. I had one friend who said it was a bad idea... she's since changed her tune. I've only shared with a handful of people though.

Lmfao seriously!!!!!! :)

Haven't you realized that EVERYONE knows what's best for us!?!?! Haha

I know how you feel. My inlaws kinda freaked out when they found out what I was doing. They even came over to "talk" to me about it. Like I had just woke up one day and said hey I'm gonna have my stomach removed..LOL People just don't realize our struggle how hard it is. We all take chances in life. I realize there's always a danger with surgery but its dangerous walking across a busy street.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was on the other side of this. My friend had this surgery nearly two years ago. I was angry with her. I thought it was cheating. I set out to prove to her that I could lose the weight without surgery. I also set out to research it...just to prove to her that she made a terrible mistake. One year after her surgery, I had lost 26 pounds working my @#! off, she had lost 120 pounds, and everything I had read proved to me she had made the right decision. Ten months later, I had the surgery and in one month I've lost 28 pounds...more than I lost in a year. It was hard to admit she was right to do this & to admit to her about my decision, but I'm glad I did. I almost lost my friend over that, but now we're closer than ever and she is my loudest cheerleader.

Your responsibility is to do what's best for you & not let anyone detract you from that path. You got this!!

Sleeve date: Oct. 15. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

My stats:

Top weight: 315

Pre-op: 289

Today: 261