Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Blood Sugar Levels

Hello everybody!! I have a question... Just got my lab results back and my Ac1 is super high (blood sugar levels) do you guys think that will delay my surgery?? I don't have a date yet but based on my opinion I think it should be between the first and second week of December. Please help...

An a1c measures how sugary your blood has been over the last 3 months. If you sugar was under contol during that time, it will be under 6 if it was over 6 that's an indicator that your sugar has been high. Some doctors use this as an indicator of diabetes. Diabetes is a co morbidity and usually qualifies you for surgery so... I don't see why it would affect you having surgery. I would be shocked if it did.

Hello everybody!! I have a question... Just got my lab results back and my Ac1 is super high (blood sugar levels) do you guys think that will delay my surgery?? I don't have a date yet but based on my opinion I think it should be between the first and second week of December. Please help...

The day of my surgery my blood sugar was 301. It ran those high numbers all the time. Now it runs any where from 77-100

Thanks guys. I am a little bit concern cause I don't want to postpone my surgery. My Ac1 is very high, is 11.5 :(

Thanks guys. I am a little bit concern cause I don't want to postpone my surgery. My Ac1 is very high' date=' is 11.5 :([/quote']

Yes, that is an awfully high A1c. Are you seeing a doctor for diabetes? Are you on meds? Ultimately, your doctor will determine if it's too high, but you'll want to make sure you're healthy enough to have the surgery and recover without any problems. Take care of yourself.

Yes I am taking Metformin and I do have a PCP. I was just wondering if I need to wait 3 more months to get another Lab test to see my A1c or if the Dr will go with the daily testing before surgery. I really want to get my surgery done and don't want have to wait 3 extra months. I have a lots of questions that only my Dr. Is able to answer, but wanted to know if anybody here have had a similar situation. Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

Our anesthesiologists can cancel a surgery if blood sugars over 300. High sugars equal poor healing, increased risks. I would imagine leak risk is higher. PCP should be able to adjust your meds right now to get them in a healthy range. Good luck!

Susie so they go by the measure the day of the surgery and not the A1c!?? My concern is that if they go by the A1c I will have to wait 3 months for my surgery. The Dr will answer these questions next week but I am just inpatient. I think is normal based on my situation. Thanks for your help.

Susie so they go by the measure the day of the surgery and not the A1c!?? My concern is that if they go by the A1c I will have to wait 3 months for my surgery. The Dr will answer these questions next week but I am just inpatient. I think is normal based on my situation. Thanks for your help.

Yes, anesthesia can delay or cancel surgery based on your blood glucose on the day of surgery, because of a condition called DKA, which can cause really high blood sugars. Before you get there, your PCP will need to write a letter of medical clearance, and I just don't see that happening with such a high A1c. To be blunt, either you're incredibly mismanaged on the Metformin or you're incredibly non-compliant with diet. If it's the former, your doctor should have tried you on an additional oral hypoglycemic, because Metformin is doing nothing for you. If it's the latter, I understand, and I've been there. Are you on a pre-op diet? If not, start tomorrow. Drink 2 shakes a day, and a low-fat, low-carb meal for dinner, and your numbers will go down. Drink nothing but Water and sugar-free drinks. NO SODA, not even diet. The surgery will take care of the rest. You can do it!

Jamari, on the day of surgery, if your blood sugar extremely high (over 300) it makes your surgery riskier since surgery can spike your sugars higher. Its dangerous to be under anesthesia when they are unpredicable. Surgery can already cause problems, so they don't want to add another variable. So this is the anesthesiologist call.

As mentioned, the high sugars will create complications during and post surgery. Everyones first question for the surgeon is usually,"So what are your complication rates?" The surgeon does not want complications, not for you and not for him. My surgeon is very careful, he stated that he will not do surgery on anyone with uncontrolled diabetes. There is alot of details that the patient needs to take care of after a sleeve, so if someone isn't on top of their diabetes, they pobably won't be on top of their after care.

So closely document your daily levels, take the record to your primary doctor so they can adjust your medications. Take your surgeon your old daily numbers and your new ones to show you are serious. You may not have to wait 3 monthes if you can proved your blood sugars are now stable. God bless and let us know how its going!

Thanks a lot guys. Today I'm going to see the PCP let's see what he says. Thanks again your answer really help me. I will keep you guys posted. Have a wonderful day.

Sooo the PCP said I don't have to wait 3 months. Yesterday he tested my sugar and was super normal (120) which is really good. This morning was 152 which is not bad at all. I am going to keep track for a month and if everything is normal I will have surgery by December. Thanks for all your kind words. Will keep you posted.

I'm glad to hear this! You should notice an almost immediate improvement in your blood sugar levels and if you get a panel done at six months out you should see a real improvement in your A1c.

My sugar was high immediately post op and I did require a few doses of insulin, but by three days post op I was completely off of all diabetes medication and have never looked back. I'm now two years out and my sugars remain in the 80-90 range all day long without major spikes.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Glad they are getting better. Normal is 60-99. 152 is pretty high for a fasting sugar. Try the pre-op diet as suggested and your sugars will come down pretty fast. 120 is not bad, considering how out of control your sugars obviously are with an A1C of > 11. Sounds like you are on the right track. You can do it :)