Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not All Sleevers Eat 500 Cals A Day For The Rest Of Their Lives!

Joining this team...lol

Sign me up!!

I am 17 weeks out and 55lb down. My surgeon wants me to lose another 30lb. My daughter and husband think I look great now. And compared to pre-op, they are right. I too am taking the long way. I am 55 and do not like to exercise. I work long hours and eating around 1000 calories, I don't have the energy I would like. I have noticed that I still have an appetite, but luckily - (thank you sleeve), I can't eat too much! I'm dredding the day I don't feel full!

I'm 2 yrs and 7 months out and still have a lot of restriction. I get full really easy and I am never hungry. My 'new' hunger is an empty feeling, something I can ignore if it isn't convenient to eat then. I'm 53 and this surgery is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I still have the 'will I gain it all back' thoughts....head games. Will they ever go away??!!! During my losing phase, I was what my nurse called 'rigid'. LoL I treated this as the most important diet of my life. The first year is the honeymoon period and I knew it. Nothing fried or sweet passed my lips!! Since then, I lightened up. I have been eating LF food forever when possible. Skim milk for over 20 years, 1% Cottage cheese, 2% cheddar etc. I do NOT do fat free anything other than milk. I've eaten whole wheat bread for years, I haven't fried anything but an egg in my house for way before surgery, again, years! An egg I fry in a non stick skillet, no grease! I wasn't a 'coke' drinker before, so cutting it out is not a problem. I eat dessert when I want to, I will eat four or five pieces of fried okra or french fries once in a while. I am aware of everything I put in my mouth, whereas prior to surgery, I'd mindlessly eat. There are things I CHOOSE not to eat just because....I.E. Mac 'N cheese. When I was losing, I averaged 600 calories a day, doc preferred 800, but I was healthy and got 60 - 80 grams of Protein per day.....I had a hard time stopping, so they had me add two or three Snacks or additional small meals per day. I HAD to do that to get in enough calories to put the brakes on losing!! I do good at 1200 calories. I maintain, up and down three or four lbs between 1200 and 1400 per day. I feel good, and never lost my hair. I wanted to get to a 12, would have been happy as a clam if I'd never lost another pound, but it was sooooo easy, I knew I wasn't finished. I wear a 4 or 6 and am down 81 lbs. I've been maintaining for two years.....I added calories to gain a little back, approx 10 lbs. I was too low. I have fun shopping and love not being the 'biggest girl' in the room. My brain is still catching up, I am not sure it ever will totally. I don't feel 'small' or 'thin' and when someone says that, I smile on the inside....I still can invision the chubby me!! Keeps me humble, I'm sure of it!! (Oh, exercise, what's that??!!!)

I love this post thank you for your inspiration! And you look great!

So I am 15 months post-op.....

Just thought I would share my experiences and what life is like for me as a sleever in maintenance. I made my weight loss goal ( a very modest goal in fact...) at about 8 months out. So I have maintained my weight loss with ease for the last 7 months. I chose a higher goal than many sleevers for several reasons....

1.) easier to maintain

2.) no lose skin. That's right people' date=' I have no lose skin, my butt is still round and the girls are still perky!

3.) I am normal, curvy healthy and average. That's all I ever wanted!

4.) I wear normal sizes. I am in a 12 and as a nurse I wear medium scrub tops and large bottoms. I LOVE BEING NORMAL. (preop I was in 2x and 24s)

I don't really care that my BMI is not "normal" it never will be, I am happy and healthy. My surgeon and primary agree I am in a great spot.

So what do I eat? a typical day is about 2000 calories. I was eating 1400 a day for weight loss.... I got up to 1000 cals as soon as I could post op so I wouldn't tank my metabolism. I don't eat low fat anything, I don't drink diet anything, no sugar free toxic crap. I eat small and healthy amounts everything. I have a vanilla latte everyday.I eat cheese at least twice a day. I eat lots of fruit and veggies and of course Protein. I go out to eat, have dessert a few times per week. I eat like a healthy, normal person.

I still have started a real workout routine at the gym... I have a fairly physical job as a nurse and I take the dog for walks all the time, I plan to workout at the gym this winter for health purposes.

All in all my point is.... I am so happy I was sleeved!!

below is a before and after.....:-)[/quote']

Wow that's great!!! I'm only a week out and this inspires me!! Today I kept obsessing about how bad I wanted a big plate of meaty spaghetti and all I could have was puréed Soup. But I have to remember in a few months I can have some and get the help not over doing it. Thank you for sharing.

Have you found any foods you don't like anymore? If you go to a party do you have to pick only one or two small appetizers to eat then ur full?

Btw you look great!! Good job!

As you know' date=' SoS, I eat very similarly to you! I did lose down to "goal", which I didn't know what to pick as a goal anyhow LOL. And even though I'm in a size 6-8, I still take crap sometimes for eating too much or not reaching goal, cos I didn't reach my stretch goal. Not sure I need to get there, I'm pretty small already. Plus I am fine to eat 2000 per day and not gain at all and feel healthy and eat a wide variety of food. [/quote']

You're a size 6/8 and people give you a hard time for eating too much and not reaching goal? Ridiculous! I would love to be that size. Seem to be stuck at a 12 :( I eat between 1000-1400 calories per day and exercise 5 days a week. But I'm not giving up all hope just yet (just some of it, lol).

This has been a great thread to read and really mirrors how I want to live post VSG. If you've ever read Why French Women Don't Get Fat you might want too . . . has a similar type of feel (the whole "eat real food" movement). Just looking forward to the day when a small amount of very high quality food is satisfying!

I've had difficulty picking a goal weight as I just don't know, and I really don't want to pick a goal size as sizes are meaningless. I don't want to be defined by someone else's standard!

This was a great thread to read. It is so inspiring. Everyone's contributions help keep things in perspective, making me realize that life will be normal. I selected a goal weight and then was told my my Nutritionist that it was too low. I plan to reset the goal as I continue to lose and get to that place where I feel comfortable. Thanks for your post! And, you look beautiful.

So I am 15 months post-op.....

Just thought I would share my experiences and what life is like for me as a sleever in maintenance. I made my weight loss goal ( a very modest goal in fact...) at about 8 months out. So I have maintained my weight loss with ease for the last 7 months. I chose a higher goal than many sleevers for several reasons....

1.) easier to maintain

2.) no lose skin. That's right people' date=' I have no lose skin, my butt is still round and the girls are still perky!

3.) I am normal, curvy healthy and average. That's all I ever wanted!

4.) I wear normal sizes. I am in a 12 and as a nurse I wear medium scrub tops and large bottoms. I LOVE BEING NORMAL. (preop I was in 2x and 24s)

I don't really care that my BMI is not "normal" it never will be, I am happy and healthy. My surgeon and primary agree I am in a great spot.

So what do I eat? a typical day is about 2000 calories. I was eating 1400 a day for weight loss.... I got up to 1000 cals as soon as I could post op so I wouldn't tank my metabolism. I don't eat low fat anything, I don't drink diet anything, no sugar free toxic crap. I eat small and healthy amounts everything. I have a vanilla latte everyday.I eat cheese at least twice a day. I eat lots of fruit and veggies and of course Protein. I go out to eat, have dessert a few times per week. I eat like a healthy, normal person.

I still have started a real workout routine at the gym... I have a fairly physical job as a nurse and I take the dog for walks all the time, I plan to workout at the gym this winter for health purposes.

All in all my point is.... I am so happy I was sleeved!!

below is a before and after.....:-)[/quote']

U look great

You look beautiful. That's the message a lot of people need to hear healthy weight. Not skinny. Thanks for sharing. :)

Exactly! Healthy is the main goal

I was feeling completely normal finally after 4-5 months. I took a while. It was worth the wait!

I needed to hear this, too, although I have set my goal high. It's at 160 and I'm 5'2. I just figure as I get closer to it, I will evaluate myself based on how I feel, clothing, etc. I also needed to hear how much someone is eating. I am at about 800-1,000 a day, although I had a week where I was indulging a bit too much (50th birthday). I kind of "stalled" again, but now, have lost a pound. I am trying to up my activity level by walking my dogs more, going to the pool, mixed in with going to the gym a bit (1x a week right now).

Could you give me an idea on how you ate your calories? I also eat most everything, but in the back of my mind, I want to be sure of my Protein intake. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Thank you for this post! My concern with having this surgery is losing too much weight. I'm not looking to be skinny. Thankful to you all for sharing.

Great job! You look great

How long did it take for you to detect what your best range for calories was after your surgery? And how could you tell?

Such a great thread. I have been thinking that ultra restricting calories after surgery is only going to exacerbate the starvation mode and metabolism slowing.