Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Not To Do With Your Sleeve

I decided to post here since some of the new folks may have alot of questions they need answers to. I'm no expert, mind you, but I am over 10 months having my sleeve. I have been through most of it..had a leak, a stricture and have had my share of heartaches during this whole process. To date I've lost 91 pounds. Keeping that in mind, I'll tell you I could be much better off by now if I had done what I was told. If you think the sleeve will fix emotional eating,,you are very wrong. I met the Labor day challenge but have not met the halloween challenge and here is why. I'll get the excuses out of the way..had family problems, a very defiant and stubborn but much loved special needs child, had serious illnesses in my family including a tiny newborn who developed IVH and a sister who was involved in a bad car accident (lost my parents in a car accident so this was especially stressful), have 2 sons in college we are struggling getting through school due to my husbands layoffs from work, my stepdaughter got pregnant,,,again and she's only 18 and alone..there's enough drama with that one that caused alot of sleepless nights so insomnia sets in, losing my hair by the hands full, still can't buy another house since we lost the one we had when I became disabled with an autoimmune disease,,recently went to a sleep study where not only did I find out my sleep apnea has not improved but they found issues with my heart. So off to the cardiologist I go..waiting on the tests results. My whole body aches and I went into deep depression which I've struggled with for years but it has gotten bad. So there is a starting list of reasons for screwing up..the list could go on and on. I turned to my favorite fixer,,food. I've eaten out at fast food restaurants, drank sodas, eaten pizza, candy, ice cream..living that lifestyle like I didn't ever have surgery. What I got was more depression, anxiety and only 8 pounds of weightloss since Labor day. You may think,,well hey you still lost weight but that's only because my stomach is not quite large enough to hold alot..if I was further out who knows how much I could hold and how much I could gain. I spent 3 hours at the bariatric center yesterday having melt downs and they rushed me into see the psychiatrist as well as the nutritionist. After talking to them and saying everything out loud..I woke this morning as it is a day of reckoning for me. I WILL start over, I will succeed and accomplish what I set out to do. Please hear me people, if you have emotional eating problems..get help. I've been in therapy for years but have talked around relating my problems to eating and vice versa. I knew I had the problem but always have excuses and that just doesn't work. You will not succeed if you do what I did. You will not be happy with the results. Take charge and do this thing full force and keep in mind that you have to make lifestyle changes. You cannot continue to eat whatever you want and expect good results. I am usually a positive person and try to keep upbeat and laid back. I pat people on the back and say it'll be ok but I just can't do that anymore. So if you decide you want to have this surgery you need to prepare yourself and make the changes that come with it.

i love the new change in attitude! Thank you for posting this, I will try and stay on track and remain healthy! You have still achieved great success! I wish you the best of luck!

Peace queen,

First let me say, you are beautiful inside and out. During the past year we have both been on this forum and you always, always support others. It is time you take care of you! This forum can be a place to share and find support, even us "oldies" are still around a bit. While I personally do not post as much, still like to check in every now and again.

You have soooo much on your plate, illness, your special needs child, husband financial situation etc. PLEASE, keep yourself at the forefront. If you are not well, you will not be able to help others who may need you my friend.

Take care....LOVE the new picture :)

Everyday is a new day,one where we can choose to do something new,better than what we did yesterday.And thank the Lord,there is not one perfect person on earth.

And thank goodness if we start eating solid Proteins first again,we might not have space for anything else..lol

You go girl.Every pound that we lose makes us feel better about ourselves but somehow also gives us new energy to cope with the other issues that we have to deal with.

My therapist always use to quote someone,dont know who,by saying to me if we dont deal with our stuff,our stuff will deal with us..all relating to my emosional eating.I use to say over and over I just like food.I like to eat,no emosional involvement,just my love of food.Soooo not true.

Good luck and you are so close to being under 200 which in itself gives us a new little jump in our step..lol

Thank you for posting this - you have been through a lot with your sleeve (leak and a stricture!?!) not to mention the family crisis.

I think you are so smart to be taking this head on, but I think it is a testament to the sleeve that you have lost as much as you have. Not sure about your history, but for me I could easily gain 20-30# in a year not lose 90....

Proud of you for your accomplishments - you are an inspiration.

It was suggested at my group meeting that we keep a journal, Ive found it does help me to vent frustrations and express my fears and thoughts...my sleeve wont be until March.....Im learning alot from this site and thank you all for being.forthcoming throughout your experiences:)

I think you're awesome!

Thanks for posting this loving kick in the ass!!

Thank.you for showing/sharing your story and struggle. It has to be hard with all of your external struggles right now. Saying it out loud and even here is a tough thing to do.

Now...you're no longer in denial and that is the an awesome, healthy start and that alone means you want to stop the cycle. :)

So hop on board stay as strong as you are and "weather" this storm.

We got your back. ;) you can vent to us anytime.

Thanks for sharing your struggles with this newbie! Very helpful indeed. I hope your life circumstances improve quickly.

Stay strong and thank you for sharing. It's a battle worth fighting!

May we all grow stronger and learn to truly love ourselves.

This helps me bc I can easily get into the "I've had a bad day/week/month and I DESERVE this _____________ (<---insert unhealthy food here)" mindset.