Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strength Training Questions

I am wondering what the current "best practices" are for strength training. My goal is fitness, toning, strength, injury prevention (best way to protect joints is strong muscles) and to build enough muscle to help me maintain weight loss. Time efficiency is paramount - shortest workout with results.

In the old days, we used to always do 3 sets, reps of 8-12 per set for each exercise.

I am reading "Weight Training for Dummies" and they seem to be recommending doing 1 set per excercise for someone in my situation. Perhaps doing multiple exercises for a specific muscle, but only one set of 8-12 reps for that particular exercise.

Any thoughts?

In the past, I really enjoyed circuit training which incorporated aerobic with the strength training. Is that still considered a good approach?

I have been strength training but want to up the ante and make sure I am getting the most from my workout.

This is not what you are looking for but I will share my exercise plan.

I work out with a body blade at least once a week.

3 times a week I walk and jog for 1/2 hour with a kettle bell, I just moved up to 20 pounds. It is amazing how many variations you can do with it as you are walking or jogging along. the weight swinging around makes your body compensate to get balance which flexes additional muscles.

After my 3 days a week with the kettle bell I do 2 sets of push-ups as many as I can and 2 sets of knee bends holding the 20 pound kettle bell, again, as many as I can.

I also bicycle with my granddaughter when she calls on me.

I follow up with a whey and glutamate shake with some real sugar in it within 1/2 hour after the workout to cause recovery in the muscles. On workout days I have a shake with whey and glutamate before bed, no sugar.

This routine is really working for me. I always have my mind on changing it around, though, so I don't get too comfortable with it.

1 set per exercise? Hmmmmm.... Guess I am still old school 3 sets of 12 reps. But I am 8 weeks out and super enjoying interval training with circuit training. I think the most important thing to any training is to switch it up cuz our bodies have the uncanny ability to get used to anything and when that happens you don't get the results you want. Good Luck!!!!!

I'm doing slim in 6 and it is a great workout. I can tell that my muscles are really getting a workout and I'm losing inches already.

Like COnative I believe in high intensity interval training. It worked for me in the past before the cancer and the weight gain. I look forward to bringing it back in some time in the future.

I have found that working out too long takes too much out of me. I am trying to get it all done within 1 hour. HIIT works well with that goal.

I used to do heavy duty bodybuilding. I am nearly 64 now and am not concerned with bulk which is impossible anyway at my age and testosterone level. My goal is optimal body fat level and health. I already have defeated high blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep apnea. Studies indicate that a fit, slim body can better ward off the return of prostate cancer. It is worth the effort.

Just to clarify - I have been working out regularly since about Feb, so this is "upping it" as I am fitter and of course the closer to goal, the slower it seems to go.

I had been doing Water aerobics 2X a week, strength training 2-3x a week usually done with an elliptical session. I am cutting back on Water aerobics and doing more intense exercises now but the water aerobics is great for flexibility too.

I am much stronger then I was, my shape is better then I expected considering how much I have lost so no complaints so far, just looking to maximize!

What is HIIT?

I think multiple sets are still the standard. My trainer has me do 2-3 sets of 15 reps (for certain exercises) & AMAP for other types of exercises.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

Just to clarify - I have been working out regularly since about Feb, so this is "upping it" as I am fitter and of course the closer to goal, the slower it seems to go.

I had been doing Water aerobics 2X a week, strength training 2-3x a week usually done with an elliptical session. I am cutting back on Water aerobics and doing more intense exercises now but the water aerobics is great for flexibility too.

I am much stronger then I was, my shape is better then I expected considering how much I have lost so no complaints so far, just looking to maximize!

What is HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm

Maximum effort follow by low effort, repeat, repeat, etc. It has benefits over endless slogging and jogging but needs a good warm up for sure.

I do 3-4 sets of each exercise, weight heavy enough that i reach failure in 8-10 reps. 2-3 exercises for each body part/muscle group that i'm working, and i can get done in 45 minutes to an hour, including my warm-up.

Generally, it's something like this: chest day, for instance, i'll do:

flat dumbbell presses

incline dumbbell presses superset with incline flyes

decline smith machine presses superset with dumbbell curls

then i will do a couple of sets of ab exercises, and i'm done

That hits all three sections of the chest, plus my arms.