Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, October 31, 2012 and I have been very nervous so I smoked a cigarette. Do they have a way to check nicotine the day of surgery? I do not want that to stop me from getting the surgery.

Myra

Most surgeons do, when I went in for my consult he asked if I smoked and I told him yes and he told me to quit that day because he would give me one the day of surgery. Im not sure if he did or not, but by the time I had surgery I had already quit smoking for about 5 months.

Thanks for the response...I am so nervous!

Thanks for the response...I am so nervous!

No problem, wishing you the best of luck!

I know my surgeon tests before surgery and a couple days before, too. Nicotine stays in your system for a few days or more of you're an occasional smoker, upwards of a month if you smoke regularly. I'm over a week smoke free and my surgery is probably going to be late November/early December.

Don't do it again, drink lots of Water, and you should be absolutely fine. Chew gum!

Doctors check for high levels of nicotine that could cause complications with anesthesia. If you have been smoke free up until your relapse your nicotine level should still be low enough to preform your surgery just no more naughty no-no's. Problem is staying smoke free, I couldn't do it, started back up two days after surgery. Good luck to you!

Doctors check for high levels of nicotine that could cause complications with anesthesia. If you have been smoke free up until your relapse your nicotine level should still be low enough to preform your surgery just no more naughty no-no's. Problem is staying smoke free' date=' I couldn't do it, started back up two days after surgery. Good luck to you![/quote']

Does smoking after effect ur healing? I've been smoke free for three weeks, but I was like if I get bad ill have one after surgery.. but idk...

Does smoking after effect ur healing? I've been smoke free for three weeks' date=' but I was like if I get bad ill have one after surgery.. but idk...[/quote']

Smoking can cause reflux, so I'd say yes. Increased stomach acid isn't a good thing. Try a smokeless cigarette? But I think you'll be happier if you keep avoiding them. I love not smelling smoke all the time.

Smoking deprives literally every cell in your body of oxygen and blood. It completely affects healing and it the biggest risk factor for blood clots. Blood clots are the biggest risk of dying after surgery, and abdominal surgery has the biggest risk of blood clots. The single cigarette before surgery won't do much harm in the scheme of things, but a cigarette afterwards could potentially have devastating effects. I wouldn't chance it.

What about nicorette? I've been taking that to help me cut down/ quit... So that will show up in my system... Is that a min no too?

my surgeon asked me if I smoked and I lied and said no. He decided to do a surprise nicotine test! So when I went back there in Sept he asked again. I said yes occasionally(LIE) and he told me sorry I can't help you for 3 months. So.....I am waiting for my 3 months to be up so he can test me again. :( I quit that day and its been almost 7 weeks. I had a craving just on Sunday and I got my mind busy and I totally forgot about it :) . You really need to find healthy options. Chew on a straw, gum, go for a walk or do a few sit ups? I agree with Liz, it was just easier to give up everything. For me it just prolongs it using E cigs and I would be more tempted to sneak.

Wish you the best of luck in your journey

I am not sure about that I am sorry. I would assume you are still getting a small dose. It just depends on how your surgeon is. I can't have any nicotine in my system.

I am not sure about that I am sorry. I would assume you are still getting a small dose. It just depends on how your surgeon is. I can't have any nicotine in my system.

sorry...darn cell phone lol