Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow, What Should I Expect My First Month?

The early weeks after surgery can be very tiring. Yo do not have much energy because it is hard to get in your Protein and you are not eating much at all. I had to take naps every day and I am not normally like that. It takes awhile for your energy to come back up. I had my surgery on 8/02/12 and I feel much better now energy wise. I still am learning what foods my sleeve likes and what it does not. Hopefully that will work itself out soon. The first weeks are about learning to eat, drinking plenty of liquids, and letting your body heal.

Good luck to you :)

it felt like I had done several hundred sit ups for a few days. not really painful more like muscle sore. I haven't had any issues yet. all has gone well, good luck! it is a big step but goes by quickly and easily.

Hi ! I'm just a little over a week post op (10/11/12) so my favorite piece of advice to offer anyone is to listen to your body. Everyone is different, and recovery may vary. You will be tired as your body is making a major adjustment! Best wishes & a speedy recovery!

My surgery is in less then 24 hours' date=' and I don't know ANYONE that has had this surgery. Needless to say, I've got pre-surgery jitters. I've got a couple of questions maybe some of you could answer...

1. How much pain are you in directly out of surgery and for the first week? Like, upset stomach, feel like you have a gas bubble, feel like you're going to throw up? It hurts but hit the morphine and sleep. I slept a lot The gas get up and walk. Have someone pat your back while you walk. Walk as much as you can in laps at the hospital. I found two ladies who had surgery and we walk together. It makes the gas pain go down.

2. Will my cravings & hunger disappear? Mostly yes. I am a week out and didn't want to eat until Thursday. I was tired and slept at home a lot. 13 hrs one day plus a nap! Now I am glad to eat something. I never want to see broth again though straight up broth that is. (my pre-op liquid diet is driving me up the wall)

3. How long does it take to be mostly healed and back to normal? I was great my Saturday. Taking Tylenol regular by Wednesday. Someone told me to baby myself and I did.

4. Any advice for making this as easy as possible? Walk drink Water and remember the pain is not the worst. It is 1-2 days not super intense. You made a great decision and reach out to your local support groups. I found a friend through my doctor. We are going to meet monthly for a photo!

I know these answers will be different for different people, I just want a general idea.

One last thing, I know this is completely silly and ridiculous but I'm so worried about my lifestyle change. I LOVE cooking, and food has been my life. It's scary to think I'm giving up so much of what I love. I eat to Celebrate, when I'm mad, nervous, sad, and happy. Anyone else deal with this or am I just over reacting? You will be glad you can actually eat after that preop diet I don't think you will care what it is as long as it isn't broth.

Thanks!![/quote']

I had my surgery on the 17th didn't really use the morphine pump and took tylenol for 3 nights after surgery hoping I would sleep better that's when mine was most painful. It feels a lot better to get up and walk around it's just the getting up part that is painful. It's been 4 days and I am starting to be a lot less sore and feel like I will be ready for work on Wed. Most of my pain is the right side on my larger incision I have 5 total. My cravings and hunger is pretty much gone for now, but I did dream about a chocolate chip cookie the other day LOL and craving baked potato with garlic and cheese. Just stay active and hydrated and you will be fine the more you walk in the hospital the better you really will feel. It may not seem like it at first, but it works. Good Luck

Hi deltrans44!!!!! Glad your doing well. Dont beat yourself up about the cheese' date=' but don't do it again! Lol ;) Did you get to go to full liquids once you got home??? The Whole Foods Market here liquified me a corn chowder and it was fantastic! Im trying to get creative!

[/quote']

hello I have a question even if you do the Soups from whole foods how you getting into your daily Protein

Hi!!! Im drinking Isopure and Protein smoothies! Watch the sugar tho!!! ;)

Obviously how one feels after surgery is different for everybody. I was lucky, not too much pain just some discomfort, I was walking around the same afternoon. The gas pains are annoying but they go away fairly soon.

I had a specific plan to follow for the re-introduction of foods. One thing will remain the same, try to get in at least 64 oz of liquids every day and 60-80 grams of Protein.

Most people start with a couple of days of Clear Liquids, Isopure for Protein (you can buy it at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC) Decaf coffee and decaf tea, all sugar free non-carbonated drinks, chicken, beef or vegetable broth, SF Jello and SF popsicles.....after that full liquids including regular Protein shakes, creamy Soups, thinned out hot Cereal, thinned out yogurt, SF puddings, Jello.< /p>

After 2 weeks, move to pureed or mushy foods, hot cereals, softly scrambled eggs, soups, softly cooked meats and veggies (think crockpot meals) yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, refried Beans with melted cheese, chili Beans, mashed potatoes with canned chicken and gravy, tuna and any soft fish, stuff like that. At this stage of the diet, I was still drinking 2 Protein Shakes to meet my daily goals and lots of decaf hot and iced tea.

At 4-6 weeks start introducing more solids, start slowly and see how you tolerate foods, move toward being able to get in at least 4 oz of a solid protein, then a non-starch veggie...try and stay away from carbs for the most part, if you do eat carbs have whole grains if possible.

At 6 months out I can eat most things but not very much of them. I do still drink a Protein shake each day, and sometimes a Protein Bar as a snack.< /p>

I was not hungry after surgery and it took a while to normalize and feel hunger come back, but not with a vengeance, and you get full so fast. I have 2 hiccups when I am full and that has happened since I had this surgery. A lot of people get these little burps/hiccups that signal fullness, or a runny nose, it's weird, but a good signal from the body.

I feel normal, just that I can only eat very small meals, but you have to eat right to keep losing weight and exercising. That has to continue ...so be prepared, the sleeve is a tool, but you still have to make the right choices.

I am so happy with my sleeve...down to a size 14 from a 3X-4X and I can walk for miles, and none of my old clothes fit, they are tent size on me....this is the best decision I ever made for myself.

Good luck !!!!

Obviously how one feels after surgery is different for everybody. I was lucky' date=' not too much pain just some discomfort, I was walking around the same afternoon. The gas pains are annoying but they go away fairly soon.

I had a specific plan to follow for the re-introduction of foods. One thing will remain the same, try to get in at least 64 oz of liquids every day and 60-80 grams of Protein.

Most people start with a couple of days of Clear Liquids, Isopure for Protein (you can buy it at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC) Decaf coffee and decaf tea, all sugar free non-carbonated drinks, chicken, beef or vegetable broth, SF Jello and SF popsicles.....after that full liquids including regular protein shakes, creamy Soups, thinned out hot Cereal, thinned out yogurt, SF puddings, Jello.< /p>

After 2 weeks, move to pureed or mushy foods, hot cereals, softly scrambled eggs, soups, softly cooked meats and veggies (think crockpot meals) yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, refried Beans with melted cheese, chili Beans, mashed potatoes with canned chicken and gravy, tuna and any soft fish, stuff like that. At this stage of the diet, I was still drinking 2 Protein Shakes to meet my daily goals and lots of decaf hot and iced tea.

At 4-6 weeks start introducing more solids, start slowly and see how you tolerate foods, move toward being able to get in at least 4 oz of a solid protein, then a non-starch veggie...try and stay away from carbs for the most part, if you do eat carbs have whole grains if possible.

At 6 months out I can eat most things but not very much of them. I do still drink a protein shake each day, and sometimes a Protein Bar as a snack.< /p>

I was not hungry after surgery and it took a while to normalize and feel hunger come back, but not with a vengeance, and you get full so fast. I have 2 hiccups when I am full and that has happened since I had this surgery. A lot of people get these little burps/hiccups that signal fullness, or a runny nose, it's weird, but a good signal from the body.

I feel normal, just that I can only eat very small meals, but you have to eat right to keep losing weight and exercising. That has to continue ...so be prepared, the sleeve is a tool, but you still have to make the right choices.

I am so happy with my sleeve...down to a size 14 from a 3X-4X and I can walk for miles, and none of my old clothes fit, they are tent size on me....this is the best decision I ever made for myself.

Good luck !!!![/quote']

Thank you

I was sleeved on 10/11/12. I didn't have any real pain, except for soreness at the main incision. Nothing bad. I did Not use morphine pump in hospital or any pain meds at home. My biggest problem was gas. Walking and gas x strips really helped. I did have some discomfort when swallowing the first couple of days but that is gone. Someone told me to blow out all my air through my nose before swallowing my liquids and that did help. You swallow less air that way. Good luck!

stay hydraded !! do not get discharged unless you can tolerate a cup of Water and make sure they check for leaks very important the stonach does not have nerve endings so no real pain there however you will have pain and discomfort from insicions and some back and chest pain pain medz might make you nausous if you have no complications your recovery should be easy and you should be back to normal in 2 weeks or so as far as food dont worry you will have such a different outlook on food its incredible food will become just the fuel you need and snacking craving will be a thing of the past your new stomach wont be able to hold much so you will feel full and satisfied but def stick to your diet plan which should be clear liquids full liquids puree and then reg food stay on this site often it really helps good luck

Well I'm back home from surgery. They kept me in the hospital for 3 nights because I was struggling to get all my fluids down. It's my 5th day after surgery and I'm feeling pretty good. I can already tell a difference which is awesome! Between my 7 days of liquids before surgery and my 5 days of liquid since surgery my wedding rings no longer fit. They have fallen off about 5 times now, so I've just put them up in a safe place until I can get them resized. I'm so glad I've done this. I just cant wait to get back to my normal routine.

I had surgery 10/8. The first 24 hours are kind of a blur, but i remember as soon as i was awake, i asked if i could get up and walk. LOL I was doing trips up and down the hallway, waving at a couple of others in their rooms that were sleeved the same day i was. Never saw anyone else up and about, though. Day 2, transferred to a hotel (i had my surgery in Mexico) and stopped taking pain meds. Sipped Water constantly, didn't really get much else in for the first 3 days, except for some really excellent chicken broth. Came home day 4, and took meds for the flights.

I've had a bit of an issue with acid, although i'm taking a PPI every day. Also, the largest incision site, where they pulled out the excised tissue, stills pulls a bit when i roll over or stretch. Currently transitioning to soft foods, still drinking Protein 2x a day. I went back to the gym at 1 week, still on restricted activity until the 3 week mark, when i will get back on my usual gym schedule with weights as well as cardio.

I was previously banded, so my weight was relatively low when i was sleeved, and my recovery may not be typical. But i'm feeling great, with no regrets!

I remember when I woke up if I could see my wife in the recovery room. They didn't say anything. Li was not able to see her for 3 whole hours!! She was worried.

I went from a recovery room stretcher where i woke up then transferred straight to a wheelchair. MD orders. They took me to my hospital room and I walked to my bed. Was pretty amazed. The three doses of diaudid in recovery certainly helped. It was a great post op experience.