Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow, What Should I Expect My First Month?

My surgery is in less then 24 hours, and I don't know ANYONE that has had this surgery. Needless to say, I've got pre-surgery jitters. I've got a couple of questions maybe some of you could answer...

1. How much pain are you in directly out of surgery and for the first week? Like, upset stomach, feel like you have a gas bubble, feel like you're going to throw up?

2. Will my cravings & hunger disappear? (my pre-op liquid diet is driving me up the wall)

3. How long does it take to be mostly healed and back to normal?

4. Any advice for making this as easy as possible?

I know these answers will be different for different people, I just want a general idea.

One last thing, I know this is completely silly and ridiculous but I'm so worried about my lifestyle change. I LOVE cooking, and food has been my life. It's scary to think I'm giving up so much of what I love. I eat to Celebrate, when I'm mad, nervous, sad, and happy. Anyone else deal with this or am I just over reacting?

Thanks!!

Hi! I just had surgery Wed and Im feeling pretty good. The pain is tolerable for me, nothing near excruciating. My advice, and I'm a newbie, is to walk and hydrate. Do not become sedentary once your home!! Drink as much as possible!!!!!! You will do great!!!!!!!

Hi! I just had surgery Wed and Im feeling pretty good. The pain is tolerable for me, nothing near excruciating. My advice, and I'm a newbie, is to walk and hydrate. Do not become sedentary once your home!! Drink as much as possible!!!!!! You will do great!!!!!!!

Thank You!!! That makes me feel better!!! I've recently started liking going for walks, so I'll be sure and walk alot when I get home.

Awwh..well Im only 5 days post op (oct 17th) so I cant give you much but I can say that the pain immediately after waking from surgery was an 8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10. BUT they had me hit my pain pump button (morphine) and it IMMEDIATELY went down to a 4 or 6 but bearable. Only thing with me is morphine makes me nauseaus so then they hurried up and gave me something for that that also worked immediately. So when I wasnt sleeping-that cycle continued for about 12 hours with the pain getting progressively better. The 2nd day-i didnt need the pump at all. Just occassional liquid tylenol. Was given Clear Liquids only AFTER I passed the "no leak " xray. I got very full very quick! Struggled to get the 4oz of liquids down each hour but I managed. Had to pee a lot so that was a headache to have to call nurses every 45 min to go lol. but really started feeling better the evening of 2nd day and was bored and ready for my own bed. Was released on oct 19th!

My surgery is in less then 24 hours' date=' and I don't know ANYONE that has had this surgery. Needless to say, I've got pre-surgery jitters. I've got a couple of questions maybe some of you could answer...

1. How much pain are you in directly out of surgery and for the first week? Like, upset stomach, feel like you have a gas bubble, feel like you're going to throw up?

2. Will my cravings & hunger disappear? (my pre-op liquid diet is driving me up the wall)

I know these answers will be different for different people, I just want a general idea.

One last thing, I know this is completely silly and ridiculous but I'm so worried about my lifestyle change. I LOVE cooking, and food has been my life. It's scary to think I'm giving up so much of what I love. I eat to Celebrate, when I'm mad, nervous, sad, and happy. Anyone else deal with this or am I just over reacting?

Thanks!![/quote']

Expect the best!

Oh forgot...the post op diet is STILL killing me!!!! lol I snuck and ate a corner of a slice of cheese just to have something solid in but immediately felt bad because I really want to heal properly.

I had my surgery on Tuesday the 16th. I came home after one night, and have not needed any pain medication. The first couple of days were really hard to get liquid in, but today is day 5 and I really do feel great. I am drinking up to a cup of Water an hour, and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of Protein Shake. I'm not tired, although I was a little emotional. I wish you good luck,and a speedy recover! I was scared to death before, but I feel good now :)

Hi deltrans44!!!!! Glad your doing well. Dont beat yourself up about the cheese, but don't do it again! Lol ;) Did you get to go to full liquids once you got home??? The Whole Foods Market here liquified me a corn chowder and it was fantastic! Im trying to get creative!

Yep full liquids. I liquified my own Soup lol!! Desperate times call for desperate measures :-) yeah-didnt have and negative effects from the cheese but wont do it again...but this is hard lolbvs cant wait for the next puree stage...that baby food is gonna taste like filet mignon!

My surgery is in less then 24 hours' date=' and I don't know ANYONE that has had this surgery. Needless to say, I've got pre-surgery jitters. I've got a couple of questions maybe some of you could answer...

Thanks!![/quote']

1-I had surgery on Monday 10/15. The pain wasn't bad at all. Just take the pain meds and be comfortable. On day two i thought i didn't need them., wrong. I had a 4 hour ride home and that was the hardest part for me. Each day gets better and better. Are you have a jp drain? That is a little uncomfortable it feels like its just hanging by a couple of stitches while inside. I am glad its getting removed tomorrow.

2- i am really not hungry. Its alot of work just getting in Protein and Water. Last night and this am i had head hunger. I was ready for a big bag of chips while watching tv. Lots of prayer to get through it and working on changing my routine. Tv time was when i like to eat. So i am trying to cut that time down. I am realizing i would just eat without tasting the food just to eat. I am reading and spending more time on here for support

3- i felt back to my normal self yesterday and was out at Walmart walking around for about an hour. I am going back to work on Tuesday.

So far just focusing on reading everything that i can for support post op and the success stories keeps me going. I know there will be lots of road bumps but at least i can keep on going. I love to cook to and am working on creating new healthy recipes for my family.

Good luck tomorrow!

Im taking three weeks off! I hear ya on the baby food! Its hard not to act selfish and scream at my loved ones "dont you know I cant have what your eating?!?, Stop bringing food around me!" Lol. I know I will feel loads better once I can get in some pureed turkey (dripping sarcasm)! :)

I had surgery this Thursday October 18th. I wasn't in much pain directly out of surgery. My pain level was a 2-4 the first day or 2. They took the pain pump away the next day since I didn't really need it. I didn't experience any gas pain, but my stomach gurgled and churned a lot and still does. I was also given anti-nausea meds so I wasn't too nauseous. I did throw up once, but It was my fault. I over did it on my hospital meal of chicken broth, Jello, crystal light and sugar free Jello, lol

My real food cravings disappeared after surgery (for now, lol) I have no feelings of hunger and wasn't tempted when my sister ordered Chinese food for her and wonton Soup broth for me or when my friend ate an ice cream sandwich in front of me.

It's only been 4 days but each day is better than the day before and I hope it continues this way, My advice post surgery is really, really try to get your liquids in. Protein is important, but general liquids is even more important. You don't want to go back to the hospital for dehydration.