Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Still Look Forward To Food Or Enjoy It?

I do not look forward to or enjoy food any longer. What I do enjoy is participating in physical activities that I could not do 4 months ago. Oh and I enjoy shopping. Lol. I also am on an eating schedule to remind myself to eat. My world doesn't revolve around food anymore. I'm enjoying this new life a lot

The idea that people don't enjoy food after the procedure is something that bothers me. Food is such a big part of my life and the culture of my family and so forth... Do you miss it at all? I would like to still be able to enjoy food after the procedure, but just in smaller amounts. I'm a bit of a foodie and I can't imagine not ever looking forward to, or enjoying food again.

I enjoy food but don't really think about it. I went to lunch with some of my best girlfriends and had a hot turkey sandwich. It was wonderful. I ate a little turkey a bite of mashed potatoes and was satisfied. Every meal is like a feast because you eat so little that what you do eat is so good.

This is reassuring : )

i am 5 days post op and food is a chore for now. i look forward to learning how to cook healthy meals for my family in a couple of months.

I kinda had the same question. I like to cook and cook alot for the family. We bbq or cook out alot. My fam is not all heavy. But i enjoy having the fam over and throw something on the grill and bs all day and watch a game.

I kinda had the same question. I like to cook and cook alot for the family. We bbq or cook out alot. My fam is not all heavy. But i enjoy having the fam over and throw something on the grill and bs all day and watch a game.

Have you already had the procedure or are you planning to?

I go in the 7th - preop diet starts the 24th. Of course some of the fam is giving me a hard time cause thankgiving is coming up i will be on liquids lol they also are the first to say it will be well worth it too

I love to cook-Italian, Greek, Mexican, Polish-you name it! Last year as I started regaining a 70 pound loss, for some reason I stopped enjoying baking, cooking and I think food in general. I was getting depressed, cooking and holiday baking, especially were things I enjoyed doing but just couldn't do. I didn't realize it until my daughters were remembering last Christmas and the fact I had only baked 2 kinds of Cookies, and not the family favorite (a lot if work!) and didn't make trays of cookies for the office, as gifts for neighbors, etc. I was like, "I just couldn't do it! I don't know why!" Yesterday I made my famous chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts and was so proud when I remembered NOT to taste it! (I'm only on stage 2 liquids) I can't wait to be a tiny woman cooking big meals, but only enjoying a taste here and there. A cute outfit and retro kitchen apron feel better than anything I cook or bake tastes!

I go in the 7th - preop diet starts the 24th. Of course some of the fam is giving me a hard time cause thankgiving is coming up i will be on liquids lol they also are the first to say it will be well worth it too

Hahaha, I know... You would of thought we would have been smart enough to wait until after the holidays. Turkey and stuffing sounds amazing right now as I suck down an Atkins "wild berry" shake!

Hahaha' date=' I know... You would of thought we would have been smart enough to wait until after the holidays. Turkey and stuffing sounds amazing right now as I suck down an Atkins "wild berry" shake![/quote']

When I was going to all my dr. visits before getting my surgery date in August, I actually counted back the weeks from Thanksgiving (I cook for whole family) to 6 weeks and told my surgeon I need to have my VSG between 10/2 and 10/12 so I can be on mushies by Thanksgiving! (what a food addict I am...was...)! I should be able to have a few things from my menu less the extra butter, etc. on turkey day. Good luck to those still on liquids! Make a nice turkey broth at least with the turkey and veggies! 

Hahaha' date=' I know... You would of thought we would have been smart enough to wait until after the holidays. Turkey and stuffing sounds amazing right now as I suck down an Atkins "wild berry" shake![/quote']

im sure i will have a few choice words thanksgiving with my shake or broth lol i told my fam after surgery im going to have a moment of silence for my 3/4's lost friend we had many good meals together. Wonder if the dr can play hey hey hey good bye Lol

Interesting question. I'm almost nine months out, down 75 and ten pounds to goal. I will preface this with the fact I don't consider myself really a food addict pre surgery. I have a horrible metabolism. My relationship with food is still however very different. I love cooking more now than before. I love planning and cooking. I don't eat much, but can pretty much eat anything. I am choosy because I have so little room. I naturally crave much healthier food and fried food even the thought if it makes me sick. I feel very normal and already hardly remember all the liquid and purées anymore. I just feel normal. It's much easier than I expected. Good luck.

Interesting question. I'm almost nine months out, down 75 and ten pounds to goal. I will preface this with the fact I don't consider myself really a food addict pre surgery. I have a horrible metabolism. My relationship with food is still however very different. I love cooking more now than before. I love planning and cooking. I don't eat much, but can pretty much eat anything. I am choosy because I have so little room. I naturally crave much healthier food and fried food even the thought if it makes me sick. I feel very normal and already hardly remember all the liquid and purées anymore. I just feel normal. It's much easier than I expected. Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback... I guess I'm a bit of a food addict, so the idea of not being able to enjoy eating touches on some anxiety I have concerning the issues.

Dont beat yourself up, i am pre op and have the same concerns. I love to cook (and obviously to eat). Unfortunately i was raised to equate food with love and i believe i'm treating my kids the same way. I love finding new things to make for my family and it often occupies my mind nearly all day. Fortunately none of my children have weight issues and hopefully they wont. While i am nervous i'm definitely looking forward to food not ruling my life. What has been helping me is to look at some post op wls recipes online. I'm still daydreaming of food right now because i havent had any since wednesday, but i know i have already found some things i would love to try when i can. I plan to try a 90/10 with my diet which leaves room for a non perfect item here and there. That could change but for now that's what i'm hoping for. I think it's perfectly normal to have these concerns..hang in there!

I did not lose my hunger after the surgery like many do, so that may impact my answer. I must say I enjoy food just as much as before surgery - I just enjoy different foods. I'm pretty sure I could eat the same things I ate before surgery and they would still be addicting, unhealthy, and ultimately ruin my long term prospect of success. So I have something different, higher Protein, lower carb, but still very good. And I have coffee every day and it has never been a problem. I have a shot of espresso. Tasty, and it does not seem like a vice - except when I have it as a nonfat latte instead of in my Protein Shake. But that's another story!

I'm only 6 weeks post-surgery so I don't have a lot of experience, yet. I've just been eating "soft" foods for a week now. I do enjoy eating, but not in the same way. I've always been a foodie and loved eating out. Now I'm perfectly satisfied with a simple chicken salad. Had part of a shimp cocktail at one of my favorite restaurants today. 3 nice size shrimp, some cocktail sauce, 2 saltines and I was perfectly content. I enjoyed visting with a couple of friends over the meal. Probably the hardest thing was not drinking iced tea before, during or after.......

If you and your family enjoy cooking, it might be helpful to order some of the WLS/Bariatric Diet cookbooks. While it will be a few weeks post-surgery before you can enjoy many of the meals, it might give you hope for some normalacy after your surgery.

Best of luck! It will certainly be worth the changes!!!