Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Out There Just Not Like Protein Shakes And Don't Drink Them?

I was told no caffiene of any kind after surgery. Am I the only one who was told that?

My NUT said coffee is perfectly fine post-op. I enjoy a daily expresso or Cappuccino with splenda and no creme. It doesn't appear to mess with my appetite and it gives me some positive vibes or wakes me up when needed.

I was also told no caffeine after surgery as it is dehydrating. With a 1 year old and a 2 year old, I definitely miss my morning coffee.....

I was also told no caffeine after surgery as it is dehydrating. With a 1 year old and a 2 year old' date=' I definitely miss my morning coffee.....[/quote']

You should be ok, but do get the blessing of NUT if that makes you feel better. Just be sure and drink all the time you are not eating and there should not be any dehydration. I think my Water intake is around 120+ oz a day as I fill my 32 oz cup at least 4 times. With flavoring, the Water is not too bad....

I was told no caffiene of any kind after surgery. Am I the only one who was told that?

I had this discussion with my surgeon yesterday as I asked about caffeine and alcohol. He said from his Medical Perspective, it's not a problem! He said he would tell a bypass patient otherwise, but since our anatomy is the same (just smaller) it's ok. He said I was a "big girl" and new if it bothered me, to just stop. He also said several Starbucks a day is not good - but I was allowed a cup or two.

With alcohol, he again said, I can have a drink if I want. No Medical reason why I can't.

He did say if the NUT's in the office heard him say that, they would get mad. It's the nutrition perspective they come from - but I did ask him from a Medical perspective.

I dont drink Protein drinks.i bought alot of them .and they go straight through me.and no im not lactose intolerant.my dr says i dont have to drink them .just eat protein in your food.wich im glad of.

From day one I never drank Protein shakes as I felt aweful after I had one.Headache,tired,nausea!I stayed without for the first week,then liquidized Proteins with fluids.

However,when I needed to kickstart my weight loss 2 months ago I made peace with one scoop of Protein powder a day (26g). Weather it is a shake or pancake.And it really really works for me now.Instead of the 60g Protein per day,I am at 80 spread quite evenly over the day (we can only absorb about 10g of protein per hour and whey protein leaves the digestive tract within an hour and a half usually) and my weight seems to be dropping at a very satisfying rate at the momentat 7 months out.

From day one I never drank Protein shakes as I felt aweful after I had one.Headache' date='tired,nausea!I stayed without for the first week,then liquidized Proteins with fluids.

However,when I needed to kickstart my weight loss 2 months ago I made peace with one scoop of Protein powder a day (26g). Weather it is a shake or pancake.And it really really works for me now.Instead of the 60g protein per day,I am at 80 spread quite evenly over the day (we can only absorb about 10g of protein per hour and whey protein leaves the digestive tract within an hour and a half usually) and my weight seems to be dropping at a very satisfying rate at the momentat 7 months out.[/quote']

Also the syntax matrix brand uses an extended form of protein where it can feed your body over 3-5 hours. This works well for me, especially when taking at bedtime.