Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I was sleeved on 9-26-12 all was fine until about 10 days post op.. Suffered from dehydration... While in hospital was told I have gastritis and gerd... Anyone had any complications? How do you deal with so much acid?

Janie (sent from my iPhone using VST)

I have not had the surgery yet but I am too concerned about GERD. I take a prilosec x1 daily 20 mg but I've been reading where this surgery increases the chances of GERD and if you have GERD already magnifies it. I'm really concerned about this issue.

If you are having lots of acid problems (which are common after surgery) ask to be put on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor). These medications actually work to stop the stomach from producing acid. I have had to be on them, and I know many others that have had to also.

What about diarrhea? Anyone have issues? Seems like food goes right through me and that's bc I'm on liquids..

I was sleeved September 28th and Day 13 where do I end up? Yep hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis. Yes to the lose stool! Have Gerd but not extreme! So day 2 in hospital with tons of Fluid and I'm sure weight gain although I just don't get it when your not eating how the crap do you gain weight! Frustrated here so I hope you feel better!

Diarrhea is pretty common because all you are taking in is fluids, so out comes fluids. But if it becomes really bad, you risk getting dehydrated again. I know they gave me something, can't remember what it was, to stop the diarrhea that I got a couple of days after surgery.

As for the weight gain gabby899, remember they are pumping you full of fluids, that is why you gain weight. It is all Fluid weight and as soon as you start eating normally and are not on IV anymore, the weight will come off!

Hi i got the sleeve sept 17 and I was in the hospital for 8 days !! Extreme votmiting 24h a day I was sick !! Even 1 week after leaving the hospital I was sick !! I am slowly feeling better but it was hard !!!

Ohh and for me I was not going to the bathroom !! I had to take a ex lax 2 weeks after to make me start going regularly !!

I was sleeved September 28th and Day 13 where do I end up? Yep hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis. Yes to the lose stool! Have Gerd but not extreme! So day 2 in hospital with tons of Fluid and I'm sure weight gain although I just don't get it when your not eating how the crap do you gain weight! Frustrated here so I hope you feel better!

In 22 days of hospital, not eating anything I gained 40lbs LOL So much for weight loss surgery. I've been out a week now and while it's coming off, my stomach is so bloated and uncomfy from the extra Water weight I whine about it constantly LOL

Holy cow I will stop whining now. 22 days oh em gee!!

Holy cow I will stop whining now. 22 days oh em gee!!

LOL Gabby, I'd trade you hospital stays ANYTIME!

What about diarrhea? Anyone have issues? Seems like food goes right through me and that's bc I'm on liquids..

Based on your statement - I have 2 questions - all about - you guessed it -- poo!

I had my VSG October 8, and last night October 16 (on full liquids and having eaten nonfat greek plain yogurt for almost 2 full days), I end up with diarrhea. I can't figure it. I added Protein powder earlier and milk and such with no trouble the morning before (so milk 3 times and feeling wonderful on that until last night, so probably not lactose intolerance). I was up all night with liquid and tiny bits of that nasty red pasty stool that means I still have stomach bleeding. For you guys also that noticed your initial post-surgical bleeding (reddish stools for stools passing quickly though but no clear blood streaks if from that high up), how long did it last. Everything that went in on my last Protein "snack" last night came out last night, all night, and into this am. Also - has anyone noticed that the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein as a snack contains more calories than what I can consume for a meal (I won't, I am even a vegetarian-Pescatarian/Lacto-Ovo-Vegatarian but recently added ground turkey and chicken) to accommodate my protein needs. I already live on Greek yogurt, and soy;-) Sorry to rattle on. And sorry for the bad picture, I couldn't find the good one of my cat (I am serious - not making fun - really true. My cat will appear shortly. Thanks ahead guys.

Also - when I said I recently added the turkey and chicken I did not mean now. I am on the controlled fluids diet. I just moved to full fluids from clear and have the okay for the yogurt, puddings, real Jello, creamed Soups, etc... but all I want is my Greek Yogurt. I am supposed to do the Unjury 2X a day, and last night put 8 oz of Fluid with a scoop and ran it in the blender and consumed half. Within a few minutes, I had the clear liquid stool with the "moving fast through" tiny liquid stool with that red orange brick pasty color. I understand high up blood is supposed to be black and tarry, but this is blood when it moves fast (i.e., there is nothing ahead of it in the intestines and it is on a rocket ship out); you never see red steaks in this as this would be low like from a hemorrhiod.

My Dr.'s office talked with me on the bleeding from my stomach and I was told the complication was not serious as long as it improved instead of got worse. So far today, I have to say it has been improving a bit, so as long as that continues, I am not going to have to worry about it. I just have to watch it carefully.

I'm a year out and I'm having my gallbladder removed on 10/29. Yay, for another surgery. <_< Apparently, I'm one of the lucky 2% who have issues after surgery. I was on actigall for 6 months post-op to prevent gallstones but I still got them anyways.