Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Final Diet Plan

I am a 51-year-old male, married with 3 children and I live in Virginia. After years of promising my doctor that I would lose the weight, it is evident that my only option is WLS.

As my hypertension slowly developed, I said I will do it. Once I developed severe hypertension, he warned me that I could develop Type II diabetes, I said I will do it. As my hypertension became more pronounced and my diabetes began to worsen and I excruciatingly had my back go out with three herniated discs, I SCREAMED I WILL DO IT!

I have watched my weight continue to rise over the years from around 180 lbs in 1983 to my current all-time high of 266 on my 5'7" frame.

I am a healthcare worker who sees the ravages of obesity on patients. It is amazing that I cannot lose the weight permanently without resorting to surgery. I have lots of excuses. I commute 4-5 hours 5 days a week to my highly stressful job. Up at 4am, home by 7:30pm and always too tired to exercise on the nice new treadmill purchased last year.Tried all the programs, shakes, pills, hypnosis, accupuncture, etc.

Last week, I had my 4th of 6 nutrition consults. Approved by psychologist, had an upper endoscopy. Once insurance approves, hope to have Vertical Sleeve procedure in January or February 2013.

I found this site through a web search and it seems very informative and motivating. I hope to use this as support and eventually support others with my success story.

I understand that this isn't a cure-all and will still always have to work hard at this including somehow fitting exercise into the picture.

I'm hoping that as the pounds drop away, it will all come together.

Enough for now. Look forward to sharing the journey.

If you can have it before the end of the year you won't have to start over on a new insurance year - if your insurance is paying. All your copays this year will count toward your out-of-pocket and you might not even have to pay the full price for the surgery. My surgery maxed out my maximum out of pocket and I don't have to pay anything else for the year.

I'm happy that you are finally going thru with the surgery! I had mine done on 9/26. It was a hard decsion to make but I made it pretty quickly. I too have very high blood pressure and I am much younger than you! I was headed down a scary road at a rapid speed. My surgery went well and all the worrying was for nothing. I healed up great, minimal pain. I have hit a rough spot in this second week with wanting and indulging in food I should not eat, but I started over today actually! It is easier to stay on track after surgery then it was before so that is a great help! Before if I was craving something I would eat something else that was healthy hoping the urge would go away. It rarely did. Now I drink a Protein Shake or some Water and I am full!! I have learned that this is only a tool and I can screw it all up easily. It does take a lot of hard work! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice. This website is great. Overall, everyone is positive about going through with it. Scary but important to also read about the not so successful outcomes.

It is scary and your putting alot of faith into your doctor. Just follow the instructions to a T and take it easy those first few days. Move around as much as you can but take it slow. I'm 4 weeks out today. I have lost a total of 35lbs, 21lbs since surgery. I'm losing about 3-5lbs a week, My knees already don't bother me, and it looks like I will be cutting my BP meds in half since they are lowering my BP too much! I hope to be off the drugs within the next few weeks. Please keep us updated on your journey!

So I had my last nutrition session on 11/21 and physician's office applied to insurance company so now the wait game begins. Hoping for mid to late January surgery to really start the new year right. Frustrated that even with all the sessions and psych consults I find myself still making bad food choices. Had been down in the 250's last week but now on Monday morning back up to horrible 267. Will try to use this website more often for motivation.

Well, my doctor is confident that I will be approved by insurance. Hope we don't have any surprises. I am booked for surgery January 14, 2013! Time to really prepare and start living as my new life will be. Must be good during this time of food and festivities.

Happy Holidays!

I'm a nurse manager and I understand where you're coming from. I work an average of 60 hours a week plus I never get away from the phone calls. They're non-stop when I'm home. The stress is a huge factor in my poor eating decisions.

Can you turn your commute into part of your exercise program? Get off a stop early and walk the rest of the way to work?

While the sleeve has taken care of my volume eating issues. It doesn't help me control those stress moments when I find myself turning to a cookie for comfort. That has been the hardest habit to stop. I'm still not perfect but I'm working on that habit.

Good luck!

Well, my doctor is confident that I will be approved by insurance. Hope we don't have any surprises. I am booked for surgery January 14, 2013! Time to really prepare and start living as my new life will be. Must be good during this time of food and festivities.

Happy Holidays!

Congrats!!! I was denied by insurance last Friday. I'm ready to go to battle, and resubmit with more documentation. I'm trying to stay hopeful :) I'm very happy for you!!!!! Happy Holidays!

Its truly a blessing to be sleeved, all the hoops your jumping thru now will pay off big. I was sleeved in Oct. and have not regretted one moment.

Robyn, yes you hit on my biggest fear, the stress eating! Work is constantly present. I'll get the calls even as I am driving home from the hospital. This is why I am taking serious the need for counseling during this whole process. I'm anticipating that I will start using my treadmill at home once I regain energy from the weight loss.

Sorry to hear about your insurance,Jussme, but I'm sure with more documentation you will be approved. Good luck and keep me updated.

Just heard from the doctor, insurance has approved! In just a few days I have to start the pre-op diet. Had bloodwork this morning. Surgery can't come soon enough for me. Diabetes is getting worse, was sick from major sugar reading fluctuations even though I was good with dieting and staying away from sweets. This site is very important to me and looking forward to sharing my journey.

Thanks Jersey Girl. As a matter of fact I was just in the Paramus Park mall for the first time since 30 years ago. Was very nostalgic for me to see that Nathan's, where I started my road to obesity, was still there in the food court! I see you are almost a month post op. Any words of motivation?!

Going to be "on the table" in just a few hours. I have lost over 15 lbs in the past 10 days from pre-op diet. My mind says do you really need to go ahead with this drastic surgery. Experience reminds me that I always lose quickly on liquid diets but then it ALWAYS comes back! Here I go!!!!!!!!!