Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate How People Label Us Wls Patients

I work in a hospital and we had a new admission. I was assigned to that patient but I overheard the nurses talking crap about patients with WLS and how lazy they are! The big nurses were saying how they rather die fat than get WLS and have complications in the future. Well I felt bad for this poor patient.... She didn't even know what was being said of her, and she's to trust these women with her life? It hurt me as well!!! They don't know I had sleeve done and this jus why I kept it a secret with my coworkers! I went home Feeling rather depressed. How do you all handle these type of peeps?

I agree with Gman. If nurses were talking crap about someone because of their religion or color, you'd be reporting that nurse to the hospital administration in a heartbeat. I think the same should be done for this case because it could seriously undermine the care this patient gets. HIPPA laws should come into play here as well. You're not allowed to discuss a patient's medical history or care in a public area, period. Why is it okay to discuss openly that this patient has had WLS? Would it be okay if the patient had stomach cancer or HIV or heart disease?

I'm not normally reactionary about stuff like this, but these people are the ones who we are entrusting our lives to on a daily basis. IMO, it's totally wrong for them to hold any medical procedure up to ridicule.

People like your co-workers are why many WLS patients want to hide their surgery from friends, family and co-workers. I'm totally open about my WLS, and I hope that my being up front about it will help to reduce the stigma for those who choose WLS in the future.

People like that are so stupid! I'd report them to the supervisor and pat myself on the back. Time for some education for these B******! Take a look in the mirror ASAP and notice how beautiful you are! Yes you! This is hard work, and it's better than dying from obesity and health complications. Those people are not worth any of your time! You have to strut yourself and rock that sleeve of yours! You are a success. It's going to take all your energy to focus on a beautiful life ahead of you. :)

I work in a hospital and we had a new admission. I was assigned to that patient but I overheard the nurses talking crap about patients with WLS and how lazy they are! The big nurses were saying how they rather die fat than get WLS and have complications in the future. Well I felt bad for this poor patient.... She didn't even know what was being said of her' date=' and she's to trust these women with her life? It hurt me as well!!! They don't know I had sleeve done and this jus why I kept it a secret with my coworkers! I went home Feeling rather depressed. How do you all handle these type of peeps?[/quote']

You know....I actually get the nurses (and is "big" really fair?) after just having spent 22 days fighting for my life due to complications. They also said it to me when we chatted and i wasnt offended (nurses of all sizes).

How would i handle them...I woudnt lie (keep it a secret that you had the surgery). If someone does make an insensative remark te best return is "I had the surgry as well but was lucky not to have a complication and end up here under someone's judgemental care". You lose some credibility when you arent upfront and honest.

The sad truth is that smart people are a rarity. Thinking requires effort and is a necessary prelude to knowing what your talking about.

Intellectual laziness is the scourge of our population and the vehicle that manipulators rely upon.

I would guess that the nurses did no research prior to their inappropriate spoutings.

But then, they have the title,"nurse" and therefore feel that they are entitled to sit on the bench judging all things medical.

We should not let ourselves be bothered by folks who think being sleeved was an act of laziness.

We know better.

The real laziness resides in their near dormant brains.

I think reporting what happened is appropriate. And not discussing your personal medical history at work - understandable and a personal choice. Everyone knows about my surgery, but if I were to start a new job and planned on maintaining strictly professional relationships I can't imagine discussing it - it invites familiarity in many ways you might be trying to avoid. For me, the people in my life know me well, care about my health, and to exclude them would not acknowledge their importance in my life.

I think reporting what happened is appropriate. And not discussing your personal medical history at work - understandable and a personal choice. Everyone knows about my surgery' date=' but if I were to start a new job and planned on maintaining strictly professional relationships I can't imagine discussing it - it invites familiarity in many ways you might be trying to avoid. For me, the people in my life know me well, care about my health, and to exclude them would not acknowledge their importance in my life.[/quote']

That is exactly what I feel!!!! My friends family know but my co workers are just co workers and trying to keep it at that. Tomorrow I will go to head of hospital just to make sure no one covers anyone because they are friends.

Wow. As a health care professional I cringe when I hear this sort of thing. I don't think I would approach administration about this at this time. It is more appropriate to bring this to the attention of the nurses in question. You do not necessarily tell them that you have had the surgery. That is up to you. You could say that as a person that has battled with weight you found their conversation upsetting. That patient is loved by someone and the dehumanizing way that the nurses discussed her history should be addressed. I think it is a sign of good character and it takes a lot of bravery to take this on personally rather than going to administration. Maybe you can make an impact in their lives. I like to think that these nurses did not start in their profession with this attitude. I would hope that they became nurses because they wanted to help people. Maybe you can bring that back to them and educate them about some aspects of wls.

If this sort of behavior did not stop I would then go up the chain of command. Good luck! That is a tough one for sure!

Wow. As a health care professional I cringe when I hear this sort of thing. I don't think I would approach administration about this at this time. It is more appropriate to bring this to the attention of the nurses in question. You do not necessarily tell them that you have had the surgery. That is up to you. You could say that as a person that has battled with weight you found their conversation upsetting. That patient is loved by someone and the dehumanizing way that the nurses discussed her history should be addressed. I think it is a sign of good character and it takes a lot of bravery to take this on personally rather than going to administration. Maybe you can make an impact in their lives. I like to think that these nurses did not start in their profession with this attitude. I would hope that they became nurses because they wanted to help people. Maybe you can bring that back to them and educate them about some aspects of wls.

If this sort of behavior did not stop I would then go up the chain of command. Good luck! That is a tough one for sure!

Sure is a rough one. I am not one to tattle so Tomorrow I will talk to those nurses. 4 of them. Wish me Luck!