Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein "snack" Ideas.... Lets Start A List To Refer To When We Need Ideas

Human flesh but you would need to sprinkle some tonys on it with some Zombie dust.

Human meat has the best Proteins available For Protein synthesis in our bodies. Hmmm didnt yall ever watch that old japanese show where they used aborted fetuses for rejuvination?

In reality now. Best Protein source to me is Protein Bars that are homemade

Imitation crab, on crackers, salad, or dipped in cocktail sauce...Yummy!

I'm confused by some of the items here.

Before you read on ... understand that I'm asking this because I want to believe so badly that you're RIGHT. I'm not being argumentative. I just am hesitant. Set me straight if I'm wrong here.

Hummus? Isn't that really high in fat? The label I see (online) says 24g of fat. Do they even make low-fat hummus?

Beef Jerky? Isn't that crazy high in sodium? That equates to retaining liquid, meaning weight gain. And sodium means high blood pressure too.

The sugar free pudding I have here says zero grams Protein. I'm sure the Jello is no better. What brand are you using?

I found only one or two varieties of Boar's Head products that are low sodium. Traditionally, lunchmeat is loaded with sodium.

Peanut butter (the normal kind) is pretty high in fat too (16g for Jif, one serving is 25% of your daily intake!)

Ok hold your fire for a moment. Maybe I should explain myself better. My nutritionist said to worry about Protein, sodium, and fat content, before worrying about calories. If you can find something high protein, low sodium, and low fat (and low sugars), then the calories are less of a concern.

Yes, I'm focused on sodium a lot. What good is losing weight if I still have high blood pressure? Yes, I'm focused on fat somewhat too. Sure, some fat is necessary, but if one serving of something has 30% of my daily recommended intake of fat (for a normal stomach person!), then it can't be good for me.

Ok, flame on. Be gentle.

Staisea ... I love your term "with a blip of cheese". That's fantastic. Like "bagel with schmear".

Human flesh but you would need to sprinkle some tonys on it with some Zombie dust.

Human meat has the best Proteins available For Protein synthesis in our bodies. Hmmm didnt yall ever watch that old japanese show where they used aborted fetuses for rejuvination?

In reality now. Best Protein source to me is Protein Bars that are homemade

What's your recipe?

I like to have 3 oz of chicken sausage (costco, target, etc). It looks like a big hot dog, but is a flavored chicken (spinach, garlic, etc) with some cheese chunks inside. Usually this is about 150 calories.

Yes' date=' I'm focused on fat somewhat too. Sure, some fat is necessary, but if one serving of something has 30% of my daily recommended intake of fat (for a normal stomach person!), then it can't be good for me.

.[/quote']

I'm not going to answer all your questions, but fat is not the big concern. Low fat and "fat free" foods are often worse than the full fat versions because they simply replace the fat with sugar and carbs, and not the kind of carbs that are good for you. Eating fat does not make you fat. Dietary fat gets used as fuel and building blocks in your body. The only thing you can build with simple carbs and sugars is.....you guessed it.....body fat. They actually promote fat storage and food cravings.

The only concern about eating dietary fat is that it is so high in calories. You don't want your calorie intake getting too high. But if you're struggling to get in enough calories post op, a little dietary fat can really help with that.

Also keep in mind that the foods on this thread are not being suggested as all day, everyday staples, but rather "on the go" Snacks.

I buy bags of frozen precooked shrimp. Great snack or meal!

Also PB2 all the Protein of PB w/out the fat

And I love pizza so & that is something I just can't handle abymore so my solution is: 6" tortilla browned in a bit of olive oil, a splash of sauce, then some mozzerella & I chop up a few pepperoni & broil it. Its fantastic, still can't really eat the whole thing but its low carb & my kids enjoy it too. Gives me my pizza fix!!!

I'm confused by some of the items here.

Before you read on ... understand that I'm asking this because I want to believe so badly that you're RIGHT. I'm not being argumentative. I just am hesitant. Set me straight if I'm wrong here.

Hummus? Isn't that really high in fat? The label I see (online) says 24g of fat. Do they even make low-fat hummus?

Beef Jerky? Isn't that crazy high in sodium? That equates to retaining liquid, meaning weight gain. And sodium means high blood pressure too.

The sugar free pudding I have here says zero grams Protein. I'm sure the Jello is no better. What brand are you using?

I found only one or two varieties of Boar's Head products that are low sodium. Traditionally, lunchmeat is loaded with sodium.

Peanut Butter (the normal kind) is pretty high in fat too (16g for Jif, one serving is 25% of your daily intake!)

Ok hold your fire for a moment. Maybe I should explain myself better. My nutritionist said to worry about Protein, sodium, and fat content, before worrying about calories. If you can find something high protein, low sodium, and low fat (and low sugars), then the calories are less of a concern.

Yes, I'm focused on sodium a lot. What good is losing weight if I still have high blood pressure? Yes, I'm focused on fat somewhat too. Sure, some fat is necessary, but if one serving of something has 30% of my daily recommended intake of fat (for a normal stomach person!), then it can't be good for me.

Ok, flame on. Be gentle.

Staisea ... I love your term "with a blip of cheese". That's fantastic. Like "bagel with schmear".

I agree on the lunch meat and Jerky. They are extremely high in sodium and contain sulfites, which bloat you and some people have a sensitivity to sulfites with varying levels of adverse reactions (and may not even be aware of what is causing the problem).

As far as hummus - There are many different kinds. My favorite is an edamame hummus, which is low in fat and carbs, 7g of fat, has a little protein and tastes fantastic. The same company also makes a white bean Hummus. I find both of these at Kroger.

http://eatwell-enjoylife.com/our-hummus/

sugar free pudding can be beefed up with unjury Protein powder, either flavored or not depending on your taste. This is a nice variation if you are tired of shakes all of the time.

PB2 is low in calories and carbs : http://www.bellplantation.com/products/1-case-jar-pb2.html

There are so many products available now for us to enjoy. The demand is driving the market to develop new technologies and varieties that have never before existed.

Pork rinds. Zero carbs and great with salsa / picante sauce/guacamole/cottage cheese, etc. Sometimes you just want something crunchy.

Pork Rinds. Zero carbs and great with salsa / picante sauce/guacamole/cottage cheese' date=' etc. Sometimes you just want something crunchy.[/quote']

But aren't those salty and fried? I know I wouldn't eat a whole bag, but still??

I'm not going to answer all your questions, but fat is not the big concern.

I think the "everything in moderation" is a good rule to live by. And no doubt, you can get low-fat at the expense of sugar and carbs. It's all a balance. There's few "perfect foods".

But I shuddered when I saw hummus (before I learned of alternative hummus varieties). Anything with 36% of your daily recommended fat intake has got to make you do a double-take, no?

Livestrong.com says pork rinds have 52% of your daily intake of fat! More than half the calories of the snack is fat. It's also crazy high in cholesterol. That has to make you do a double-take, no?

Also PB2 all the Protein of PB w/out the fat

Where can I get a single jar of PB2? I can't seem to order it online except in bulk. What stores carry it?

Where can I get a single jar of PB2? I can't seem to order it online except in bulk. What stores carry it?

http://www.bellplantation.com/locator/

Or you can get it on Amazon.< /p>

I think the "everything in moderation" is a good rule to live by. And no doubt' date=' you can get low-fat at the expense of sugar and carbs. It's all a balance. There's few "perfect foods".

But I shuddered when I saw hummus (before I learned of alternative hummus varieties). Anything with 36% of your daily recommended fat intake has got to make you do a double-take, no?

Livestrong.com says pork rinds have 52% of your daily intake of fat! More than half the calories of the snack is fat. It's also crazy high in cholesterol. That has to make you do a double-take, no?

I would eat Pork rinds over most pre packaged "protein" bars any day. They typically abide by my 1g of Protein per 10 calorie rule, and have zero carbs. It's basically pork chops (tongue in cheek). No I wouldn't live on them, but if I needed to grab something at a convenience store to tide me over till I made it home, it's one of the better choices.

Ask yourself, why is there a limit on your daily fat intake? If you stay within your calorie limit, eat your minimum Protein and avoid simple carbs, your fat intake is irrelevant. It's just fuel. Now cholesterol is another story.

Amazon....had to buy a 2 pack though.