Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein "snack" Ideas.... Lets Start A List To Refer To When We Need Ideas

Where can I get a single jar of PB2? I can't seem to order it online except in bulk. What stores carry it?

Market street and ive also seen it at various nutrition stores.

Amazon....had to buy a 2 pack though.

I got mine at one stop nutrition. Not sure if you have one in your area.

What's your recipe?

Peanut Butter

Honey or honey substitute

Almonds

Raisins

Cranberries

whey Protein low carbs unflavored

Expensive Dark chocolate 80% or better cocoa unsweetened

I melt the PB,honey,chocolate in the microwave then add it to the other ingredients. If its to dry just add a little Water and it will loosen up a bit. Pop it in the freezer and your bars are gtg in 20-30 mins. I keep mine cooled cause I love the coolness of the bars. I try and keep my protiens and carbs 2:1. The dark chocolate help Tremendously with the taste of all the Protein powder and helps keep the bar soft and binds it well. Thats the best trick that I could find.

I tried applesauce but that doesnt bind to well for me.

As an added treat I tamped some raisins on top of the bar before I froze them to give it a fruity topping. Awesome.

Bar for bar my bar beats the Metrx 100s by taste and carbs: proteins; calories. South beach,atkins, cliff haha no more for sure

I like the Quest Protein Bars - great nutritional stats, and tastier than a lot of what's on the market.

Light baby-bel cheese

A Protein "frappuccino" - almond milk, crushed ice, and Protein Powder blended in my bullet to the consistency of soft-serve. Current favorites are Click mocha protein, or Peanut Butter cookie.

Cottage cheese mixed with tuna

Plain greek yogurt with a fruity protein powder mixed in - banana, or nectar Twisted cherry.< /p>

I'm not going to answer all your questions' date=' but fat is not the big concern. Low fat and "fat free" foods are often worse than the full fat versions because they simply replace the fat with sugar and carbs, and not the kind of carbs that are good for you. Eating fat does not make you fat. Dietary fat gets used as fuel and building blocks in your body. The only thing you can build with simple carbs and sugars is.....you guessed it.....body fat. They actually promote fat storage and food cravings.

The only concern about eating dietary fat is that it is so high in calories. You don't want your calorie intake getting too high. But if you're struggling to get in enough calories post op, a little dietary fat can really help with that.

Also keep in mind that the foods on this thread are not being suggested as all day, everyday staples, but rather "on the go" Snacks.

[/quote']

Curious (not argumenative), how is fat free things worse on carbs if the carbs are less? Or are you just saying in general it tends to be?

Im asking because I get fat free items but I also look at the carbs & fat intake.

Edamame

Mini Baby-bel Light cheese

String cheese (low sodium) Sargento

Smoked salmon (just a bit on Melba toast & a schmer of cream cheese)

Sardines in Tomato sauce

Smoked oysters

(You can tell I love seafood!)

Curious (not argumenative)' date=' how is fat free things worse on carbs if the carbs are less? Or are you just saying in general it tends to be?

Im asking because I get fat free items but I also look at the carbs & fat intake.[/quote']

Quite often when something is labeled fat free the manufacturer will compensate for the removed fat by adding in starched or sugars that are actually worse for you than the origional fat was.

I like the Dannon Greek yogurt 2x Protein plain. I add some fruits to it.

I also make blended soft tofu with fruits

I stock up on healthy cold cuts

Carnations Breakfast essentials

Lean protein from GNC is low in sugar 25g of protein

Quite often when something is labeled fat free the manufacturer will compensate for the removed fat by adding in starched or sugars that are actually worse for you than the origional fat was.

Ok thank you. So its not better to get fat free w low calorie vs regular? Or does it depend on the product.

Ok thank you. So its not better to get fat free w low calorie vs regular? Or does it depend on the product.

Yep, there can certainly be exceptions. Just in general, what ORT said is what I've found as well. Reading the entire label is always a good way to go. But some people just see "low fat" or "fat free" and think it's good. Peanut Butter is one of the items I've noticed most. "Reduced fat" Peanut Butter has almost just as many calories, but instead of fat (which occurs naturally in peanuts) it contains way more processed high glycemic carbs.

My NUT has 'banned' all fat free/non fat items from my diet plan. Fat doesn't store as fat. The more i'm learning, the more I really think all those 'fake foods' did me in.

I am VERY carb sensitive so my NUT and Surgeon have both agreed that i need to go on a low carb plan. (Less than 20 grams.) The benefit to this is i don't have to count any carbs or fats. I lost 30+ pounds in 2.5 months pre-surgery eating like this. I was AMAZED at the yummy and real food I could eat and was still losing weight. But remember, everyone's body is different.

When I get to maintenance (still 70 pounds for that to happen) we will slowly add carbs to my meal plan. But I suspect i will always have to stay low. I gotta tell you guys, I am really grateful to my NUT. At first I wasn't, but she's really stepped up when I needed her, so if you need help and have a NUT, make an appointment! Mine even went into MFP and helped me adjust my numbers on my diary.

Good point ORT and Butterthebean ..I help teach some diabetic classes at my work and for people watching carb intake..you have to watch for the low fat versions of anything because fat carries flavor of foods because the aromatic oils in foods are obviously fat soluble therefore that's why humans like high fat foods ..they just taste better but there is science behind that. So when manufacturers make a low fat version, they normally have to compensate with increased sugars to make up taking out the fat in the product. If they didn't do that..the product wouldn't be worth buying because it wouldn't taste good.....so sometimes you are better off eating the good old regular stuff. An example of this would be regular ice cream and fat free ice cream..check out the label and see which on has more total carbohydrate per serving...I think you'll be surprised!