Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

22 Pounds Lost In First 4 Weeks...but...

the doc told me today that I should be at 40 pounds lost! What gives?!?! My stats are: 5.4 (height), weigh 223.8, I'm 30yo,female. In the past 4 weeks (exactly 4 weeks from surgery), I've lost 22pounds. But at my checkup today,the doctor said that I should be at 44pounds lost already. I am eating like 600 calories a day, nothing more. I'm not getting in my Water as I need to be, and my Protein isn't where it needs to be either. Im getting my riding bike out and I'm going to ex erode some that way, I just don't get mow I can eat 600 calories a day, and o ly lose 22pounds!!!!!!!!

Any advice please.

At 5 days post op, and 11 lbs lost, my only guess is the two things I am realizing are a struggle for me at this stage: the Water and the Protein. Definetely drinking more water will help flush it out. I am not fond of water right now. Maybe focus on at least one or the other for a few weeks and see if you see a change. The benefit of not having lost 44 lbs is the lose skin. We both need to get the mindset that 64ozs a day is the vehicle of fat removal. If we don't get it a vehicle it will linger. Don't give up!!! And congrats on the 22 lb loss!!!!!!!

OMG was he being sarcastic 44 lbs the first month very few loose that much. Not saying it is imposible buit I believe 22 is fair

Pour attempt at a bad joke maybe??? 4ome surgeons a very dry

Personally, I think your doctor is off his rocker! The average weight loss in the first month (as I was told by my surgeon) was 10-20lbs. Now, of course there are lots of variables, and the more you have to lose, the more will come off in the first few months. My stats were very similar to yours and although I can't remember exact numbers, I lost between 20 and 25 lbs my first month! What a way to discourage you and make you feel like a failure. You have done awesome!

At my 2month check up, I was 30 pounds down and they told me it was average- every doctor is different. But honestly you sound pretty normal to me. I lost 20 the first month.

I'm 5 weeks out and only down 18. I promised myself u wouldn't be one of those folks that bemoans my slow weightloss, but it's getting hard to stay positive. I try not to compare myself to anyone else, but it's hard. At least I'm not gaining, right?

I think you have done a great job! I think your surgeon may have been pulling your leg. At your height and weight I dont kniw where 40 pounds came from. from what I read about 20-25 ponds have been tge average for the first month.

4lbs at 4 weeks is almost a 1 1/2lb a day. This is very hard to do or maintain such weight loss. Not impossible but unrealistic.

Thanks guys! I will note that the doctor I seen at the checkup was not the one who done my surgery... It was very discouraging to say the least! I stalled at 3 weeks, and didn't lose a single pound, but that's pretty common I think. People say the slower the better, which is true if I don't want the loose skin. It's just aggravating when I'm eating so little, thinking I'm doing well....but then have the doctor tell me that I should have lost double of what I did!

I will add though that this surgery is the best decision I've made, the best thing I've ever done for myself. As a mom to two kiddos, I never put myself first. Now instead of being obsessed with food, I focus even more on my babies! It's amazing how one thing can change your life!

Tell your doc to stay out of the pharmacy. You are doing great. To lose 1.5lb/day you would have to run a 5250calorie deficit. I just don't see that happening especially at your start weight.

My one month anny is today, 27 down and my doctor is stoked.... Not sure what to say about your situation but sounds like you're doing great! Maybe he's just trying to keep you motivated?

Thats crazy! I think you are doing great! Im 8wks out. Iv only lost 23lbs ????. I have not lost any wt in 2-3 wks! Help! What can i do?

Oh gosh, 40 pounds? I had lost about 20-25 at my one month I think. My doctor said I was spot on normal. I wouldn't worry yourself about it, almost all the posts that I have seen here in my time have been around the same weight lost as you and I at that point.

I can't believe a doc would throw out a specific number like that. you are well within normal. Everyone is different. keep up the good work!