Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shocked By Sleeve Experience!

You should ask your dr if you can have something a little more nutritious when you see him tomorrow.

Ya I definitely will! I am hoping he will move me to full liquids!!

That's awesome, congrats!

We are at very similar starting numbers.

I was sleeved on 9/25 and also have had a good experience. Uncomfortable in the hospital and for a day out but pretty good since then. I am off the pain meds and moving about well. As of yesterday I was on full liquids, that cream of broccoli Soup I had yesterday tasted divine - all 3 tablespoons of it! :)

I had my surgery 9/25 and today I noticed I could drink quicker. Still small sips but not as long between drinks. I am also on Clear Liquids but am drinking adkins shakes. They are doing great for me I just take a few sips then add a little bit of Water to thin it up. Go to Dr tomorrow and get to start full liquids. Never been so excited to eat creamy Soups in all my life!! I did "eat" a fried cheese stick tonight. As in I chewed the cheese then spit it out. It was sooo yummy!!

love to hear the good side. I am a fellow nervous obsessive. After finding out I am very sensitive to blood thinners, things went much better. I have been doing great post op with consumption of my diet plan.

Fortunately my doc isn't crazy about the full liquids for such a ridiculous length of time post op. I was able to start egg, deli meat, string cheese on day 7.

Hope you continue to feel well and have great success with your sleeve.

I had my surgery 9/25 too! I am on clear liquids until Thursday, 2 weeks of full liquids, then soft/ pureed for another week. Fortunately, I am doing great getting enough in and have not had any problems swallowing my drinks! I have one sore incision that is today so much better. BUT, head hunger has ahold of me and it is really hard. Had to go to the grocery store today - boy, EVERYTHING looked & smelled yummy!! Went straight home to have my broth & Popsicle - disaster averted!! But there are some Macho Doritos that I would SO love to lick!!! I am concentrating on just my Fluid intake this week & will start on my Protein at the next stage.

Dr. appointment went well, they actually said I could start on soft foods, crazy! I was 17lbs down since surgery last thursday which seems insane.

The head hunger has really got a hold on me though, the last two days I feel like im starving. I really hope the Protein Shakes and soft foods curb it but I have a bad feeling it is all in my mind. Time to do some serious soul searching and reflecting on why I did this in the first place so I can stay on the program as planned. I dont think anyone can prepare for the head hunger, its a monster...

I had the worst anxiety about getting the sleeve. I have always been nervous by nature and the last three months I spent in a complete state of stress and worry. I just got home from the hospital an hour ago and I feel great! My surgery was on the 27th and they kept me for two nights. Ill admit the first few hours out of surgery were the worst but still tolerable. I was up walking around 2 hours later. It was actually funny because I was walking so much my nurse had to ask me to go back to the room and rest lol! The first few things I tried to swallow hurt but i adjusted when I took smaller sips. I dont know if its a good or bad thing but today I found myself taking regualr drinks of Water with no pain. I really wanted to post this because I was so worried about the pain and problems that can come along with this procedure. Reading others experiences gave me hope :) I really thought I would have a much harder time than I did!

Thanks cause Im freaking out as my day approaches Nov 9th...having second thoughts...i hate pain and am afraid of the finality of it all.....I pray for an easy time

The pain wasnt so bad, I think you will be suprised! The biggest issue I am having now and it just showed up is wanting to eat, constantly. It seems like most people dont feel hunger for a while though so thats good! As far as the surgery and recovery though, it was so much easier than I had expected. Dont give up and good luck!!

Congratulations TamaraS! 17lbs wow! I have the same feelings...sometimes I feel soooo hungry, so what I'm doing is when I feel like I want to eat I make myself busy, like going for a walk, or even jumping in the shower. It's amazing how much a few little distraction can do. If that doesn't work, just think about how well you are doing, that should be good incentive to stay on the right track.

My surgery date was the 24th. I feel sore but am up and moving. I am walking 1 mile a day. My problem is I am on full liguids till October 11 and I want to eat just a little real food sooooo bad.

I had surgery on 10/1 and yesterday I had some watermellon and creamed Soup and today I had a scambled egg, could only eat half, but it was gr8. I am chewing until the food was almost liquid, but that's where all the flavor is, in the mouth. Tomorrow I'm going to try some stage 2 baby food. I'm not saying its right for u but I have not had a single problem.......

DON'T be so melodramatic for goodness sake! Each should follow the advise of their own doctors of course-but not everyone's doctor will say liquids for 4-6 weeks. Over the top comments like this will make others panic! If the staple line were that easy to bust this would be a ridiculous operation indeed!!

Hang in there-it'll be worth it!

X

Actually, Having had mine break without me doing anything stupid, (ie eating textures prior to the doctors schedule) I would have to say I'd disagree with you. Apparently you had an easy journey....try having tubes stuck down your back into your lungs daily...or a garden hose forced between your ribs for a week...leaks kill and they're worth panicing over.

I think your case was so much worse because of neglect. If your Dr. would have listened to you or you had went on to someone else when he did not , things would have decreased in severity. Leaks are serious we all agree. I think we can all learn from your experience. If we have a concern and are not heard,take on to someone who will listen. We are responsible for ourselves too ,not just our doctors. I am curious as to where the 1 in 400 came from . Can you post the web site that you are referencing ?

Thanks !

I think your case was so much worse because of neglect. If your Dr. would have listened to you or you had went on to someone else when he did not ' date=' things would have decreased in severity. Leaks are serious we all agree. I think we can all learn from your experience. If we have a concern and are not heard,take on to someone who will listen. We are responsible for ourselves too ,not just our doctors. I am curious as to where the 1 in 400 came from . Can you post the web site that you are referencing ?

Thanks ![/quote']

Its on the warning literature from both of my doctors (dr HoDAD) and Virginia Mason, I cant find the study but it's from a study in switzerland if I remember right (I read it but cant find it now) where this procedure is more common. Rates for those with higher bmi and comorbidities are higher.

Yes my case was worse because of neglect, but death is a factor in all leak repairs. Repairs are difficult and often take more than one try and can result in the loss of your stomach all together, loss of your lower limbs, and of course the ultimate negative.