Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Worse?

I think I used tone thin but always felt chubby. I don't remember ever feeling thin. As I got older, the weight crept up. After my children were born (both c-sections), it went up even faster. For the past 10 years, I am no longer in control of my appetite or my weight. I've tried to lose but honestly, I tend to give up if I don't lose enough or quickly enough. I totally lose my motivation and I get off the diet. Then, anything I did lose comes back plus. Am I right for this surgery?

I have always been the "fat" friend. And the "fat" sister. My three sisters were always a normal healthy size and even though we were in similar activities and sports I was always heavier. One of my best friends recently became engaged and she asked me to be a bridesmaid. I was very excited and honored. Her wedding is going to be two days after my one year surgery anniversary. I have two "friends" who are also in the wedding and now they are working out like crazy to look good for the wedding. We were looking at dresses about a week ago and one of them made a comment that she's not going to be the fat bridesmaid now that I'm having surgery. So I was the fat bridesmaid that made everyone else look good? Comments like that make me even more motivated.

I have always been the "fat" friend. And the "fat" sister. My three sisters were always a normal healthy size and even though we were in similar activities and sports I was always heavier. One of my best friends recently became engaged and she asked me to be a bridesmaid. I was very excited and honored. Her wedding is going to be two days after my one year surgery anniversary. I have two "friends" who are also in the wedding and now they are working out like crazy to look good for the wedding. We were looking at dresses about a week ago and one of them made a comment that she's not going to be the fat bridesmaid now that I'm having surgery. So I was the fat bridesmaid that made everyone else look good? Comments like that make me even more motivated.

I am always blown away by what people think is ok to say! I am glad that you are putting a positive spin on it and are using such a nasty comment as motivation! You will be gorgeous!

I had a good friend say something similar to me the other day. I've known him all my life, and he's always been an athlete. But now the weight is creeping up on him. He said, "I can't let you be skinnier than me." I just looked at him and said..."it's inevitable."

I don't get my feelings hurt by these sorts of comments. It's more about his unhappiness with his weight. If he was being healthy and felt secure about himself, he wouldn't care what I was doing.

@butterthebean it's almost like they have always known you to be bigger than them and it probably made them feel more secure about themselves. I know that's what's going on with my friends. These two girls are super competitive and I have never been on their signal as someone to compare weight and exercise with. Now they know I will be and wedding pictures are forever. Lol. It is kinda hurtful that she said that but I have thick skin. Just gives me more motivation to rock it out this year!!

I just want to bring this up about children being cruel. It happens to the skinny kids as well. If a child is thin they get called anorexic, bean pole, twig. They get told they need to go eat a twinkie.

Body image is a big thing while growing up and I think children should be taught not to tease other children period. If they are fat or skinny, these words hurt and ruin self esteem.

I can't even try to pretend that it it would be worse being thin before. I've never been "skinny" but I was very healthy in my younger years, obsessivly so. I trained with the varsity wrestling team while I was still in middle school, was involved in competitive body sculpting, etc.

Where it really hurts me is looking how fat I got. I ask myself "How in the hell could you let that happen?". I knew the whole time what I was doing & kept saying I'll take he time next year to fix it.

It does make it easier for me to see me making my goal, and makes me believe I can have a great body again, but the disgust I felt toward myself was crippling.

Yea, the worst part for me was my own feelings about myself. Well luckily we are on our way to being healthy again.

Let's see... I was the same weight all throughout high school, about 145 and I am 5'7. I started putting on the weight when I was about 20- I was partying a lot and drinking fattening drinks like margaritas and piña colada a lot and I gained about 70 pounds in a year. No joke. Ever since then I just keep getting fatter :( ahhhhh!

I have no clue what it is like to be skinny. I have always been heavy since 6 years old. I think I may go thru major body dismorphia ( I think that is what it's called)

I also have no idea what its like to be thin. I was active when I was younger but always at the top of the weight charts as a child. So it'll be interesting to see how my mind reacts as I continue losing weight! I'm still the largest in my department at work, among my friends, in my family.... so it'll also be interesting to see how my weight loss impacts relationships in those arenas.

I have been thin most of my life. My weight gain came after several (8) rounds of chemo, first you cant eat then you can and food is wonderful then more chemo it was a vicious cycle. Size 6 then size 12 it takes a toll on you. Now cancer free for 3 yrs the weight just kept coming so I'd lose and something stressful would trigger and wham weight again. I can lose weight just can't maintain then my portion sizes got bigger and bigger. Then got diagnosed with diabetes and got really angry with myself because i caused the diabetes. Thats when my pcp and i discussed the sleeve. I was sleeved 9/10 and although I'm in the 3 wk stall i have lost 11 pds and 9 inches. Best decision ever. I have 70 more pds to hit goal of 110 as I am only 4'11.