Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 11 Months Out And Struggling To Reach Goal

I would like to find a buddy in my similar situation, I have been successful as I have lost close to 100lbs with my sleeve but I need to lose 50 more to goal and it is not happening. I have been a slow loser since day one. As of today I am on liquids for today and tomorrow will be back to basics. I still don't eat Pasta or drink soda, not much bread and am probably at 1000 cals a day. I am active but don't have an actual exercise routine because it is VERY hard to find the time with 5 kids and school.

Anyone want to be my buddy? :)

I am 15 months out and lost 85-88 lbs and had 15 more to lose to reach my 100 loss. Just like you I don't eat much bread, no fried foods, and no sodas. I have managed to stick to a healthy diet without much cheating. In the first 8-9 months post op I did exercise a lot but I must admit now that I lost the bulk of the weight I have been slacking on the exercise lately. I typically only go to the gym 1-2 days a week now versus 5-6 days as I was doing in the beginning. I had been stuck at a stand still for about 2 months now and had not really lost anything. I was getting very frustrated so I decided to start the Medifast diet. I started it Saturday and woke up and weighed in Sunday and lost 3 lbs in the first day. I was shocked being that my scale had not moved in almost 2 months. I weighed in again today and lost another 1/2 pound. You get to eat 6 times a day on this diet and it's high Protein which is good for us sleeve patients. I posted the link below if you want to check out the foods they have. Also, if you have any questions at all feel free to ask. I'll send you my email address. Best of luck to ya!

http://www.medifast1...CFQQGnQodrT8ASw

Thank you so much for your reply, I actually have been looking into something to help me out with weight loss. I know that I may get a lot of heat for what I am about to type but it it true. I have been thinking of taking over the counter diet pills to help me curve my appetite and this way I can make better choices. Bad. Yes I know.

I'm close to 11 months out as well and also a good ways from goal. I'm not going to lie, I'd like to make goal, but I also realize it may not happen. I feel like I can eat a lot more than most, but I feel great, have really good strength in the gym and I'm off of my medicines.....so I've accomplished most of what I wanted already. As I've gone on the past few months and feel pretty good about things, even though I've not lost a ton of weight, I'm seeing that goal number as just that.....a number. You've really lost a lot more than I have and more than most. Just decide on how important that goal weight is and if it has to be accomplished, do what you need to do to get there. Wishing you the best! :)

I am not sure a diet pill is going to help you make better choices. With or without the pill, you, ultimately make the decisions. Get to the root of that and you may find getting the last pounds off and keeping them off will be easier. Do you plan on taking diet pills the rest of your life because THEY make better decisions for you?

Really?

I'm guessing the sleeve has helped curb your appetite as it has mine. Basically, when mealtime comes around, and throughout the day, for that matter, I have to decide what I am going to eat. I know that I have about 4-6 oz of capacity. I know that my body has nutritional requirements (vitamins, Proteins, calcium) and I know I need to meet those first before I can have a cookie.

When I have a cookie in my hand and want to eat it, I review where I am at through the day. Have I met my needs to this point? Would the space in my stomach be better served by a banana instead of this Twix?

I'm close to 11 months out as well and also a good ways from goal. I'm not going to lie, I'd like to make goal, but I also realize it may not happen. I feel like I can eat a lot more than most, but I feel great, have really good strenght in the gym and I'm off of my medicines.....so I've accomplished most of what I wanted already. As I've gone on the past few months and feel pretty good about things, even though I've not lost a ton of weight, I'm seeing that goal number as just that.....a number. You've really lost a lot more than I have and more than most. Just decide on how important that goal weight is and if it has to be accomplished, do what you need to do to get there. Wishing you the best! :)

Hi! I am with you on being able to fit more in my stomach than most and that is pretty much how it has been since the 2nd month. The capacity of my sleeve is much more than many and I recall asking my surgeon "are you SURE you cut my stomach?" lol You are right though beside the number I feel 100% better than I did at this time last year. I don't have any restrictions on what I can do with my kids and that was one of the main reasons for my surgery was to be active again. Thanks for your reply and good luck to you too, you look great in your picture!

I am not sure a diet pill is going to help you make better choices. With or without the pill, you, ultimately make the decisions. Get to the root of that and you may find getting the last pounds off and keeping them off will be easier. Do you plan on taking diet pills the rest of your life because THEY make better decisions for you?

Really?

I'm guessing the sleeve has helped curb your appetite as it has mine. Basically, when mealtime comes around, and throughout the day, for that matter, I have to decide what I am going to eat. I know that I have about 4-6 oz of capacity. I know that my body has nutritional requirements (vitamins, Proteins, calcium) and I know I need to meet those first before I can have a cookie.

When I have a cookie in my hand and want to eat it, I review where I am at through the day. Have I met my needs to this point? Would the space in my stomach be better served by a banana instead of this Twix?

Hi! Yes you are right I am the one who makes the decisions and unfortunately depending on time and my stress level those are not always the best decisions for me. I have never had that appetite suppression that many have with surgery so I have always had to regulate what I eat. However I feel that if I have something helping my appetite it would give me more time to decide on a better option than just grabbing whatever is in front of me at the moment. This is probably the reason why I gained over 100lbs in 5 years and why I yo-yo dieted so much after my 2nd child. :(

I think we might be talking about two different things. Appetite suppression is one thing, where you don't want to eat at all versus decision making about what you do eat. Of course, the first step is to not have the evil foods in the house in the first place. The second part, for me, is to be sure I am following the rules.

Eat the lean Protein first. This quickly gives me a full feeling that lasts for a long time. Last night for dinner, I had a turkey burger. No bun. I ate 3/4 of it and had the full feeling for hours.

I did not drink before, during or after my meal. I wanted to keep that food in my stomach and keep that full feeling.

When I do things like this, I have the appetite suppression you may be looking for. When I have a salad with meat on it, I get the same full feeling, but I definitely can eat more of it and the full feeling does not last as long. So, when a couple hours goes by and it is not a *mealtime*, I may have some crackers or a cookie or something else I probably should not have.

Bottom line is, I make far better decisions when I follow the rules explicitly. How compliant to the rules do you think you are?

I am for sure much more relaxed than I was like 4 months ago but I still don't drink calorie drinks (I rather eat my calories), I don't eat rice or bread, however I will have Pasta or eat a cookie... I am sure now with football gatherings and fall the temptations will be ever present. With 5 kids and 2 underweight there is no way to be temptation free as I have goodies for them plus a husband who has zero weight issues regardless of what he eats :/

IF I decide to use an appetite suppressant it probably would not be long term however I am trying natural methods before I go that route. I can eat a good portion of Protein and be hungry within the hour. For example I will have a scrambled egg and 2 turkey links and hungry an hour later.

Hi. I know what you are going through. I lose in phases now. I am 10 mos. post sleeve and until beginning of June I lost steadily. Then it just stopped until just 2 weeks ago. I stayed within 2 lbs. for like 14-15 weeks than all of a sudden I have lost 10 in past two weeks. I'm expecting it to stop again for a period of time. I guess my body has to adjust for awhile then it dumps weight. It can be discouraging, but we are all different. I'm now down to my last "20" and figure it could take a while. I just have to let my body do it on it's own time. Try to hang in there.

I read that you have 2 children that are under weight and that you have to have junk food in the house. Is your doc telling you that kids are under weight or is that your interpretation bc they are skinny? If the pediatrician saids that there too thin, then whey not give them a healthy snack like a Protein Drink for kids instead of junk food. Get them eating healthy now so that they don't develop bad eating habits that will cause them a lot of grief in their future. These are just my thoughts and I am not judging you in any way. I wish I would have done this when my children were small. I totally believe in healthy eating habits for life. :)

Hi! No I never said I HAVE to have junk food in the house but I do. I have two children in the 10% for weight and 2 that are average and one who's weight I need to watch. I have good and bad Snacks for them because that is how I was brought up and it taught me self control. I did not gain weight until age 25. I think if you deprive children of "junk" they crave it more and do not learn to practice Portion Control when they are around it. Believe it or not in my house with 5 kids we have Cookies and chips go stale because since it's common they don't go crazy when they see it. I on the other hand do reach for it when I am "starving" :rolleyes:

At this time I am trying to get back into focus on myself...

I read that you have 2 children that are under weight and that you have to have junk food in the house. Is your doc telling you that kids are under weight or is that your interpretation bc they are skinny? If the pediatrician saids that there too thin, then whey not give them a healthy snack like a Protein drink for kids instead of junk food. Get them eating healthy now so that they don't develop bad eating habits that will cause them a lot of grief in their future. These are just my thoughts and I am not judging you in any way. I wish I would have done this when my children were small. I totally believe in healthy eating habits for life. :)