Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Hungary More Often

From reading this thread' date=' I am obviously not the only one having hunger pains. I am 7 days out from surgery. I drink Water when I get hunger pains between meals and sometimes that helps. I truly hope this constant nagging by my stomach does go away at some point. It's a terrible feeling.[/quote']

I was getting hunger pains too for a month and a half of being sleeved. We get those hunger pains because our stomach is healing it will get better with time and solid foods. The feeling would bother me at night just before bed it was hard for me to sleep so I would eat a light yogurt before bed.

I remember being hungry every 2-3 hours beginning when I was about 1 month out. I asked my NUT about it and she said it was ok to eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours; I wouldn't be hurting anything cause my stomach can only hold so much before i felt extremely full anyways. Seemed like that was a phase that lasted about a month or so for me...it does pass.

What happens after it passes? You are just never hungry?

I am 4 weeks out and I notice the hunger but it's not as severe as it was 2 weeks ago. I try to eat Protein only and it helps a lot.

I have the opposite problem. I am 2 months out and I have never felt hunger once since surgery. I have to set alarms just to remind myself to eat. Is that bad?

How much weight have you lost?

I am kind of envious. :)

I was getting hunger pains too for a month and a half of being sleeved. We get those hunger pains because our stomach is healing it will get better with time and solid foods. The feeling would bother me at night just before bed it was hard for me to sleep so I would eat a light yogurt before bed.

Thanks! It's nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. LOL!

What happens after it passes? You are just never hungry?

I'm sure it's a bit different for everybody, but for me, I get hungry but a small meal satisfies me for 3 hours or so.

How much weight have you lost?

I am kind of envious. :)

I am down 56 pounds :)

but Dr. is kinda upset with me because I almost never get enough Protein. I usually get 350-500 calories a day.

I'm actually starting to get pretty aggravated myself, my surgery was September 14, the firt week was fine, I was hardly hungry had small meals every couple of hours and managed to lose 12 lbs. my second week I feel like I can eat more than what I'm suppose to, especially things they told me I would most likely not be able to tolerate the first month. I am eating less than what I ate prior to surgery but recently I tried having a burger, just the meat, and didn't seem to have a problem. I weighed myself this morning and I gained 2lbs. I don't know what to do at this point, the doctor's nurse and nutritionist told me to try drinking more Water for now until I see him next week.....

Cece, most people don't eat burgers in the second week. As for your weight stalling that's perfectly normal. There's a link in my sig about stalls. It might help explain where you're at right now.

Plus, everyone experiences head hunger in the second week. Well not everyone but a lot of people.

Glad to hear stalls are normal...lost 15 lbs first week..nothing else..i will be 2 weeks out tomorrow.

Same here....in week one i lost 16lbs....and now in last 3 days d scale is stuckkk....:(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

It's normal to be hungry when you're still on liquids!! Don't despair, once you're on solids you'll then really start to feel your restriction.

Take a chill pill, let your bodies heal.

*sigh* I can't speak for everyone but nowhere in my research did I find that a hamburger (bun or not) was a good nutritional choice. With all due respect why did you go through all if this only to continue abusing your body?

I just don't get it.

Anyways, the hunger will get better. I'm almost 5 months out, down almost 80 lbs. I still get hungry, eat a healthy and small meal and I'm over it. This is real life... Hunger and all.

I can't imagine a recently sleeved stomach to be able to process much less absorb a cheeseburger.... Think of yourselves like a new born baby with a perfectly new baby stomach ... If you had a new born would you feed it a cheeseburger so early in life? We all have our addictions to favorite foods but look at where that got us Russian roulette.

Sent from my htc evo 3D using VST

I can't imagine a recently sleeved stomach to be able to process much less absorb a cheeseburger.... Think of yourselves like a new born baby with a perfectly new baby stomach ... If you had a new born would you feed it a cheeseburger so early in life? We all have our addictions to favorite foods but look at where that got us Russian roulette.

Sent from my htc evo 3D using VST

I don't think this is a correct analogy.

Babies don't eat hamburgers because they don't have teeth. Your stomach still "knows" how to digest stuff, but pureed foods go down easier during healing.

I don't think this is a correct analogy.

Babies don't eat hamburgers because they don't have teeth. Your stomach still "knows" how to digest stuff' date=' but pureed foods go down easier during healing.[/quote']

Well then would you purée a cheeseburger and give it to a toddler?

I have been eating 100-150 (3 oz) of some Protein every 3 hours since switching to solids. It has been working well with 90 lb down from July 2nd. Recently, I have noticed that after an hour ( usually after the lunch meal), i am hungry a little. I have to remind myself i just ate an hour ago and can eat in 2 hours. It usually passes after this little pep talk. However, I also make sure I get something to drink if i have not started yet after eating. Good luck.