Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout Dvds

So today was the first day I've been to a gym in a loooong time - I know, hurrah! I actualy wasn't overly comfortable with the environment (a lot of people running on treadmills while I sat there peddling away on my bike) and to be quite honest, as a student without a car it's almost too much of a pain to try and figure out how I'm going to get there and back every time I want to go. So I thought of things I could do in my own house and thought hey, why not try a work out dvd?

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have a favorite or that they found not particularly difficult that a beginner should try? I've looked up tons and I've watched youtube reviews on many of them... but they're also usually by people who aren't nearly as big and/or already work out like eighty times a week. I just worry about picking up a dvd and looking at the 'beginner' workouts and going 'uh, yeah, okay, no.' For both health and my wah-baby reasons. I'm not afraid of the work, and I'm not afraid of the sweat (it makes me feel like I've accomplished something!) but I also dont want to overdo it.

2. And the reason I asked that question is because I'm almost 90% sure I'm going to be buying a Jillian Michaels dvd tomorrow. I think the review that caught my attention the most was one that said she stated 'if I can have someone who weighs 400 pounds do a jumping jack, so can you.' Now I dont weigh that much, but that seemed super encouraging. Has anyone tried her dvds?

The gym will hopefully be in my future, perhaps when I want to get into actual strength training and dont feel so out of place. But for now, any at home exercise ideas (I like videos the most - they keep me on track) would be extremely helpful! <3

I tried two of Jillian's a couple of years ago. They were okay but I'm a quick adapter so they got easier and easier until it wasn't worth doing them anymore.

Go to collagevideo.com because they have previews of pretty much every workout DVD known to man; even the old Jazzercise.

Haha. My mom has one of Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies - I graciously declined.

THanks for the heads up!

I really love the Leslie Sansone walking program dvd's. Some people find them too easy but I'm big enough and have lived long enough as a couch potato that they are challenging for me! She has tons of different ones -- my favorites right now are the ones she did with the American Heart Association.

I've heard that a lot of people also like the Biggest Loser workout dvd's and I've been meaning to try them.

Back to the gym -- I would not let the skinny people deter you. But I totally understand the logistical hassles, that's why I'm working out at home and not at the gym!

I really love the Leslie Sansone walking program dvd's. Some people find them too easy but I'm big enough and have lived long enough as a couch potato that they are challenging for me! She has tons of different ones -- my favorites right now are the ones she did with the American Heart Association.

I've heard that a lot of people also like the Biggest Loser workout dvd's and I've been meaning to try them.

Back to the gym -- I would not let the skinny people deter you. But I totally understand the logistical hassles' date=' that's why I'm working out at home and not at the gym![/quote']

I love Leslie Sansone. I used her "Walking Away the Pounds" 2 mile work-out with the weighted balls as an after work stress reliever for years, of course this was back in my 20s when I exercised for stress relief, and not weight loss. It kept me really toned too. I hadn't even thought about using it now, I think I'm going to have to dig for them. Good idea!

It really depends on what type of exercise style you like. I tried one of Jillian's and found the fast pace really challenging (although I like her very much) - but then, I'm not very much into aerobics to begin with. I do like Leslie Sansone, but my favorites for toning are callentics and the Bar Method (Change Your Body is their most beginner program - not easy at all, but definitely doable, and boy, does it work wonders).

Back to the gym -- I would not let the skinny people deter you. But I totally understand the logistical hassles' date=' that's why I'm working out at home and not at the gym![/quote']

I also love Leslie Sansone's DVD's!

Don't knock ol' Richard Simmons and his videos! I could do those when I was huge! They are a great way to start yourself moving again. I started out with a little walking and very light weights with high repetitions. My first "goal" was to walk the 1/4 mile around the lake in my apartment complex...and I felt like Rocky when I managed it at 3 weeks postop!!!

Lots of people start out walking to the mailbox today, then twice to the mailbox tomorrow, then one house over, two houses over, etc. Start small and work your way up.

I get what you're saying about being intimidated by those skinny folks at the gym, but most of them are there because they know what's required to get and stay in shape. I haven't had any negative comments, and I've still got a long way to go to be called skinny!!

Don't knock the Richard Simmon's DVD's. They give a good 50 minute workout that burns hundreds of calories in the privacy of your own home, and most of the participants are overweight, and it really helps to see them be able to get through the dance workout, and know you probably can too. They are a fun way to dance away the pounds. (Pre-zumba generation) :D

Do you have cable? They have tons of free workout MoVies on demand! I used to do Sweatin to the Oldies with my mom. It was fun ;-)

If I was going to invest in some DVDs I would do Power 90. It is the first DVD set in the beach body series (creators of P90X) everyone I have ever talked about them say you get a great burn and see results.

Thanks everyone!

I actually picked up the Jillian Michaels dvd this morning at Target while I was out (wish I would have checked this out before I left, or I would have looked out for the Sansone dvds. Maybe I'll have to go back! And as far as cable goes, you know I hadn't thought of that - will definitely have to check it out.

Didn't complete the WHOLE workout session (although 80-90% of it!) and my arms and legs feel like Jello. This good. Going to stick with it for the full 30 days or die trying I suppose. Except not really.

I WANT TO TAKE A ZUMBA CLASS SO BAD! They look like SO much fun. I just want to give myself some time to get comfortable with the idea of working out before I do. Maybe come next semester!

Does your college have a fitness center? That would be convenient and maybe you could go with some friends too!

Do you have cable? They have tons of free workout MoVies on demand! I used to do Sweatin to the Oldies with my mom. It was fun ;-)

Thank you so much for this information. I had no idea onDemand had work out videos. I am looking through them right now!

Thank you so much for this information. I had no idea onDemand had work out videos. I am looking through them right now!

No problem! I do them when I can't get to the gym for any reason or another.

I loved Power 90 for a long time....Actually I'm a big fan of every Beachbody video that I've bought (Except Brazilian Butt Lift). I loved Hip Hop Abs and I can't remember what the other dance one with Sean T was, but it was awesome and I did it for a long time. Oh! It was Rockin' Body. I loved that one.

Most videos you can do even at a high weight, just modify it to low impact or go a little slower. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are the Jillian Michaels ones. They are fantastic videos, but they are really difficult at a beginning level because she does a lot of higher impact moves and things that just aren't for beginners.

Good luck!