Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking With Meals.

Chewing enough and eating slowly have been my biggest issues!! I'm a nurse so I got into the habit of eating on the run so it has been really difficult for me to break out of that routine!! I've tried several different things to slow down my eating...can you give me some suggestions?

Take a bite and put the fork down. It helps me to do something else while eating. If you're a nurse and eating at work, eat while filling out some chart or report or something. Take a bite, then write something...or type it in...not sure what you do. But then go back to the food for another bite.

If you're at home, do a crossword, type an email...anything you can do in between bites.

Take a bite and put the fork down. It helps me to do something else while eating. If you're a nurse and eating at work' date=' eat while filling out some chart or report or something. Take a bite, then write something...or type it in...not sure what you do. But then go back to the food for another bite.

If you're at home, do a crossword, type an email...anything you can do in between bites.[/quote']

Thank you for the advice!!! I'll try some of these things...I'm 6 months out but I've learned that it is a daily challenge!!

can you use a straw

can you use a straw

I was told by my surgeon not to use a straw...I occasionally do but I've gotten to where I prefer not to!!

Some of this just makes no sense to me. First, we don't have a pouch. We have a sleeve, which means we have a fully functioning stomach with a fully functioning pyloric valve. Bands and Bypass patients have a pouch that doesn't utilize the valve like we do so it's different for them. But we have very little room in our stomach now, and Water does make the valve open which will allow food to pass out of your stomach more quickly.

Someone described it on here as the more solid foods without so much liquid will allow you to feel full longer and you will be less likely to overeat. But also because we can only hold about 4 oz of food in our tummies now, and if you drink a lot of Water you aren't gonna feel like eating your nutrition/protein so it's not as good for you.

I think this is more about developing good eating habits than anything! If you go back to drinking a giant glass of water with your meals, then you will likely start to feel hungry more often and more likely to overeat.

The reason it sort of doesn't make sense is because... what about when we eat Soup? There's a lot of liquid in Soup. It doesn't HURT us to eat soup, it just isn't as filling, right? So I think of drinking with my meals as creating soup in my tummy that is going to fill me up with less food thus not allowing me to get enough proper nutrition.

I'm 3 months out, and I don't drink with my meals. It's become normal to me now, and it makes me realize that all those years of drinking a ton of water with my meals was probably really affecting my digestion in negative ways.

Much of what we do in the first 3-6 months after surgery is DEVELOP GOOD HABITS. Eat high quality Protein and veggies; drink when it's appropriate but mostly learn how to eat in ways that maximizes our nutrition - these things apply when we are a few years out so that we can maintain our weight loss.

I understand "leaving room for the Protein we need," after surgery bc theres so little room. But you're saying it's not good for non-WLS people to drink Water with meals? That I don't get.

I'm referring to those of us who drank large quantities with our meals. I suspect I was not as satisfied as I could have been because I was washing food right out of my stomach! I used to drink huge amounts with my meals, not just sips. That's what I'm talking about.

so ummm don't freak out, or do, i don't care, but drinking with meals could be used as an occasional tool when going to tasting menu restaurants or special meals.

we go to a meal at lumi island once a year where they fly james beard award winners into cook a several course meal. each is paired with wine. even taking only a bite of each small plate I was thinking I might be wasting a valuable seat at the event to go anymore, and yet for a foodie, it's a treat we look forward to all year. people come from all over the country. its literally the best food in the world, all in one place.

its a long evening. i'm wondering if I have half a glass of Water with each tasteing I could then manage to try each item on the menu....s a daily choice it woud be silly, but for a food event this just might make sense.....what do you think?

Iggy I am a HUGE foodie and even did some wine tasting a few weeks ago paired with food. Yes I cleansed my palate between wines with water! I think these are exceptions to the rules. You aren't gonna eat like that every day!

You also need to go by how you feel. If its not agreeing with you, or you feel nauseous or too full, then you need to stop. But if you take tiny bites and chew well and don't take big gulps you'll probably be fine.

Iggy I am a HUGE foodie and even did some wine tasting a few weeks ago paired with food. Yes I cleansed my palate between wines with water! I think these are exceptions to the rules. You aren't gonna eat like that every day!

You also need to go by how you feel. If its not agreeing with you' date=' or you feel nauseous or too full, then you need to stop. But if you take tiny bites and chew well and don't take big gulps you'll probably be fine.[/quote']

totally a huge exception! but knowing it works is nice :)

I agree with the drinking with a meal once in awhile rule.... As long as it does not become a habit for you I say go and enjoy I would just be careful with the alcohol because of carbs and also if you don't know if you will really be effected by the alcohol...e I really feel it from a couple sips but I'm not a drinker.

I agree with the drinking with a meal once in awhile rule.... As long as it does not become a habit for you I say go and enjoy I would just be careful with the alcohol because of carbs and also if you don't know if you will really be effected by the alcohol...e I really feel it from a couple sips but I'm not a drinker.

i will be practicing at home but given the qualaties of these wines dh wont mind helping out

Finding Myself,

The reason we aren't to drink while eating is because the liquid does trigger the pyloric valve to open thus bypassing our restriction.

The best evidence of this that I've seen is PDXman , he runs competitively. He uses this method the night before a race to be able to increase his carb intake. Maybe we'll get lucky and he will make an appearance an explain his further.

Yes!!! I knew someone on here talked about triggering that valve!

I'm curious to know more from PDX.