Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Got Back From Surgery With Dr.fernando Garcia

No prob, angeleyes...im sxd Oct 27. Ill post as soon as im able to get to my phone...

There have several people who've had surgery w/ Dr Garcia recently. I haven't heard one bad experience with the doc or the hospital. I was a little nervous about the language barrier as one poster mentioned, but I spoke to Alma, and she said there's always an English speaking nurse on the floor, and there are cards/posters with pertinent english/spanish translations in each room. Im not concerned about going to MX. They'll treat us very well, considering they get most of their referrals from word of mouth. I chose MX specifically because they do this type of surgery WAAAY more than any US docs. In fact, I've been researching and scouring the boards for months, and it seems complications are more common with surgeries stateside. It makes sense, when you think of how few surgeries our docs do...the cost here is prohibitive for most patients, and insurance makes us jump thru too many hoops. That will change as more of us request it, but for now, I think MX is the best place fur those of us with crappy or no insurance. Im a healthcare professional, and MX is very popular with nurses and docs from the US. As a matter if fact, Dr Garcia did surgeries in August on a doc and several nurses from here. I am STOKED! Counting the days!! I will totally keep you posted. Good luck :-)

thanks for sharing....sounds like they are still a wonderful job of taking care of their patients!!!! Welcomes to the Loser's Bench!!!

For those still wondering and asking questions about Dr. Garcia and the different coordinators. I went through Ready4Achange and had an excellent experience with them and everyone at the hospital from Melissa, Rosie, all of the dr's ect.

If a lighter me charges more it is because THEY are making more. I had a sleeve sister at the hospital with me, surgery the same day, staying in the same hotel, we both had Dr. Garcia...there was nothing different about our details but she was very disappointed with a lighter me (I am just speaking from the experience I had...please dont jump on me). I received a bag full of necessities, Gatorade, Water, lip balm, cards, tape and gauze, etc. She received NOTHING (literally) because the "coordinator" that she went through did not provide that as part of their service. Rosie brought me even more gauze and tape the day before we left to make sure I didnt have to worry about purchasing any as soon as I got home. I gave some of my supplies to my sleeve sister because again, she got NOTHING!

I paid $300 less than she did and received better customer service. Now, the care we both received AT the hospital from surgeons, nurses, etc was exactly the same....that does not depend on what coordinator you go through. I felt more like I was part of a family....she felt like nobody was there to really answer her questions.

To adorableintx.....I truly feel like (my opinion) that the coordinators that tell you if you go with a "cheaper" doctor you will not get the same care simply want your money! They are trying to convince you, manipulate and use your desire to have surgery and be in the safest, cleanest place to get you to spend more. I say this because Mi Doctor Hospital was extremely CLEAN! It is small, but honestly I could care less about that and I feel like that may be why we are able to pay a little less. It has the necessities, the care, the cleanliness, the greatest Dr's and nurses all for thousands less than some of the others. I am not knocking any surgeons that charge more, but I am saying that I know for a fact I could not have gotten any better care and my experience and outcome would not have been any different, much less BETTER if I had spend thousands more.

My husband is a huge skeptic about everything, he went with me and was VERY impressed my everything I mentioned above. My experience was truly like a mini vacation. The day of surgery.....I was a little tired, out of it, had some minor gas but the rest of it was fantastic. We went shopping on Revolution street, we walked, we sat out by the pool at the Marriott (which we loved by the way) everything was great.

Speaking of the vehicles, the van Samuel used to pick us up in seemed very new, maybe not brand new like months old....but it was a perfectly fine, newer model, clean, dependable van. Samuel was great, very nice and professional....we talked the entire time. Picked us up on time and got us to the airport to leave on time.

I believe sometimes we can be super critical (although I understand because I was there too) of things like "oh, it was an older vehicle, kind of junky, etc" come on guys....LIFE happens. Maybe their company vehicle broke down, maybe they are buying a new one, things happen.....people have bad days. Maybe one patient got a visit or call 1 more time than another one did.....people are human. I think we tend to forget that.

All in all, I would recommend and have Ready4aChange, Dr. Garcia and Mi Doctor hospital to friends and family any day of the week! My experience changed my life forever....it was the beginning of a new life for me. Even since being home (a little over 7 wks) Alma has contacted me just to check on me, see how I am doing and make sure I do not have any post op questions. It continues to be a great experience I dont regret and would not change one single thing!

Good luck to all of you making decisions. I suggest you keep doing research.....be weary of those that KNOCK other docs and hospitals. Honestly, I have had some discussions with Alma about the other coordinators, docs ect and she is VERY careful to only give the facts/truth and not to put down or degrade any of them. There is no "we are better than they are" attitude with Ready4aChange.....they simply want to give you the best care and experience and help change your life.....not drain your pocketbook just because they can!!!

Just sayin.....

Thanks so much, made2beme. I've been reading your posts for a while now, and I gotta say, your experience was one of the ones that solidified my decision to go with Dr Garcia and Ready4Achange. I completely agree with the points you've made and I cannot wait to add my own experience.

Again, thanks for keeping us posted. Its great to know you're doing well and that you continue to be an advocate for Dr. Garcia and his team. :-)

Who was the coordinator at a light me? Should I be worried

I used a lighter me and dr Garcia, I paid $4700 an had a fantastic experience. The driver was awesome and I was visited in the hospital and in the hotel. My sleeve buddy who was with Ready 4 a Change, needed some tampons and my driver went to get them for her.

I am sure both companies are good and either one you choose will be fine.

I can fully vouch for a lighter me, no problems at all and beyond excellent service! Plus dr Garcia and his entire staff are wonderful and the hospital is very nice as well. Not one issue!

I used a lighter me and dr Garcia' date=' I paid 4700 an had a fantastic experience. The driver was awesome and I was visited in the hospital and in the hotel. My sleeve buddy who was with Ready 4 a Change, needed some tampons and my driver went to get them for her.

I am sure both companies are good and either one you choose will be fine.

I can fully vouch for a lighter me, no problems at all and beyond excellent service! Plus dr Garcia and his entire staff are wonderful and the hospital is very nice as well. Not one issue![/quote']

Thank you!

Not sure if they're affiliated, but I think most companies coordinating for Dr Garcia are charging $4500-4700. They've been running a special at Ready4Achange and alighterme that was extended...but hey, if you can save another $200, that's awesome!

I paid $4700 for my sleeve surgery, I research A LOT of doctor's before making my decision. I am extremely happy that I choose Dr.Garcia as he , his staff , and the hospital were amazing. Not to mention the company that help me made my decision since they were always there to answer any of my questions. It's a personal decision that you have to make , but from my point of view , I think you cant go wrong with him. Hope this helps adorabletx !

It did help myweightlossjourney1...You know it still scares me and I wanted to get peoples experience. I made a wrong decision with having this band and that with doing research and here it is im going to let a person cut on me again because I did not research enough or I guess looking in the wrong place but coming here and talking to people who have been through so much or more than I have helps. Its also encouraging to hear how sucessful so many people have been with Dr. Garcia and I feel good about it. Thanks again for sharing with me myweightlossjourney1!!!

I was quoted $4700 with Ready for a change and $4500 with A Lighter me. So I paid less by going with a lighter me. My experience was that A lighter me provided much better service. The hospital and doctor was all the same but if you are alone you will want someone to check on you often and not just tell you to have the front desk call your coordinator if you need something. I was also given a bag with supplies so I don't know what happened with the person that didn't get anything. All of us got a bag. We were picked up in a nice van and the driver Abraham was very attentive.

@ sleevednow, how do I contact a lighter me? thanks in advance....

7145168193 for Janese..from a lighter me.

@ sleevednow, how do I contact a lighter me? thanks in advance....

thanks muffintop...