Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need This And People Say I Dont?

I am 5'9 BMI is 40 and I have gotten a lot of push back as well! But screw em', they haven't lived in my body and gone through the 2 hour work outs, bootcamps, personal training, crash diets, diet pills, starvation, stress, and health issues. I am 27 and want to live my life. You do this for yourself!!!! I support you :)

Im barely started on this new journey and this site/app has been so supportive and helpful thanks everyone good to know there's others like me going through the same trials tribulations ;)

I think this reaction really has to do with people who see past your weight. A lot of my friends/coworkers assumed I was 180ish, so they were surprised. When I explained I was 260 and wore a tight size 20 they understood more.

I am not saying you have to justify your surgery to anyone, ever. I just found that maybe our friendship clouded their view of me and they didn't see me as so "fat".

Even if we don't have comorbidities "now", that doesn't mean they aren't coming later. Sorry, but 200+ pounds on a 5 foot frame doesn't work well when you get older. I didn't have comorbidities, but who is to say that next year I wouldn't be pre-diabetic, or have a back injury? In my 40s now, my knees were feeling it. I was terrified to get down on my knees to clean something because it hurt to get back up.

Now, eight months post-surgery, I have to remind myself that I don't hurt anymore, crawl under that desk and clean the dust bunnies! I didn't even know how many ways this weight negatively affected my life until I started to lose it after surgery. And, I haven't even always been fat!

If you are unhappy, and you have really tried other means, and you have a doctor supporting you, I think you should go for it if you want it.

Im not ashamed to explain my problems or reasoning or even tell anyone about it but even when explain sometimes I get shut downs I mean there are also times after I explain they realize how many struggles I actually have that dont meet the eye

oh, and my favorite is when people accuse you taking the "Easy Way OUT"

isn't it just great?

I have had negative feedback from only one person (and I have told EVERYONE about it), and that was one co worker he told me "you don't need it you just need to eat right" which is true, but he looks down on my for getting it. Excuse me, you do not know my background and everything. We were discussing in my surgery classes about how people say its the "easy way out". HELL NO it isn't the easy way out! For me easy would be just keep doing what I have been doing and not caring about my health. This is a HUGE change! Everything in your life has to change, and that can be scary, and it sure won't be EASY!

yoooooo you spoke totally spoke about my life! i love it.

I too get the same thing, Oh your not that big, or your not FAT. Like hell.........I'm 5'5 and I'm pushing 250. I carry it well I say........I have the high blood pressure, high cholestrol, border line diabetic, my joints hurt, tired of being out of breath doing the simplest of things. I have tried everything and I mean everything only to gain it back plus some. I have always had a weight issue even when I was a child. Well you know what, I am going to be 50 next year and I'm tired of feeling this way!! My family is supportive, I have a few friends who say I'm just going to regret it and I'll die. I'm going to die being this Fat.

It's been 30 years since I have weighed 150, and even then I was over weight.........I say screw what people say and do it for you, do what you feel is right inside. Do what your body, mind and soul are saying.

I have my first Nut visit the 20th, I'm looking forward to my new journy but at the same time I am scared! I don't know what it feels like to be thin.......:)

I wish you the best!!!

I too get the same thing' date=' Oh your not that big, or your not FAT. Like hell.........I'm 5'5 and I'm pushing 250. I carry it well I say........I have the high blood pressure, high cholestrol, border line diabetic, my joints hurt, tired of being out of breath doing the simplest of things. I have tried everything and I mean everything only to gain it back plus some. I have always had a weight issue even when I was a child. Well you know what, I am going to be 50 next year and I'm tired of feeling this way!! My family is supportive, I have a few friends who say I'm just going to regret it and I'll die. I'm going to die being this Fat.

It's been 30 years since I have weighed 150, and even then I was over weight.........I say screw what people say and do it for you, do what you feel is right inside. Do what your body, mind and soul are saying.

I have my first Nut visit the 20th, I'm looking forward to my new journy but at the same time I am scared! I don't know what it feels like to be thin.......:)

I wish you the best!!![/quote']

Hi I am two years older than you and I feel like I could be your twin! I experience the same body issues and since I was a child. I chose the lapband after all my research and working in the medical field. My first band was 2008 I lost 50 lbs is was 250 then. I had to have a new band placed in 2009 and I have had nothing but problems eating. Since my band is not causing the food problem and it is empty for a year I still have issues eating, so I gained weight because Im hungry and can't eat what I should! Long story short I am having the band removed and can choose to have a bypass, sleeve or nothing. I came across this website and your story touched me.

I am asking and reading all I can on both the sleeve and bypass people there experiences knowing that everyone is different. I hope that your journey with the sleeve is uneventful and successful I too would like to know what it feeling like to be thinner....

FYI through all my lapband years which are 4 i was going through perimenopause which I am now hearing is tough when you have a lapband because of the hormone fluctuations.

Some days I do feel guilty about wanting this surgery like maybe it is the easy way out ...... but even the surgery sure does sound like a lot of hard work ahead

nicci1228....sweetheart it is alot of work and isn't the "easy way out" - but tell you what, it is effective. I wish I had done it in my 20's or 30's after my kids were born. I'm 57 now and I had my surgery 4/6/12. I am barely 5 feet tall...and having 80 pounds off this body is fantastic. I feel better than I have in decades and you will too, and since you are young, you still have alot of elasticity in your skin, so loose skin will not be as big of an issue.

You can do this. Be proud of yourself for being proactive. You are already beautiful, just imagine when you are shopping for size 4-6 !!

Good luck!!

I can't wait lol thank you that was one of my biggest deciding factors is that I am young and dont have kids yet I want to get healthy so I can start a family and have a good life with them

When I was 21 years old, I was also 230 lbs. Now at 31 years old I am 335 lbs. I have done so many diets I have ruined my skin and my metabolism. I wish I could have had this surgery when I was 21! Best of Luck on your decision and journey!!

Who cares what anyone says!!??? My BMI was 36, I'm not quite 5'7" and everyone said I didn't "need" it. I wanted

the surgery, I was tired of losing some lbs just to regain it plus some. I was tired of dreading going shopping, the

list is endless. I only WISH I'd had this option when I was your age. Go for it girl....and enjoy the ride!

21 yrs old 5'0" 230lbs BMI 45 ideal weight 98-122lbs how do I not need this?